Pinking - CJ
I hate to sound stupid.... What is really meant by pinking?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CJ
Re: Pinking - Jud
I think its pre-ignition , that is when the petrol/air mix in the cylinder ignites before top dead center , this creates a tinkling noise , i stand to be corrected.
Re: Pinking - dan
Wow l can answer this one...l think
Pinking is the nicely descriptive word for knocking or detonation. (i.e. you can hear 'pink' 'pink' when detonation is occuring in your engine). Detonation occurs when your fuel/air mixture prematurely detonates due to high heat/pressure or a high octane fuel with a dumb car (no knock sensor). Normally only an issue with highly modified cars or badly set up part modified cars.

This can cause damage to points, valves and engine block. Having the combustion occur when the cylinder is not in the correct position to deal with the small explosion (i.e. on its way back up) can knacker your cylinders, and all the gubbins that's attached to it. Like most of your engine...

I think most car engines these days will automatically adjust ignition timings to avoid knocking within limits.

Is this a good effort? please fill in/correct as you see fit.

regards,
dan
Re: Pinking - John S
dan

Close! Yes, it's detonation, an explosion, rather than the correct burn rate of the fuel/air mixture. The sudden pressure increase causes the 'pinking' noise - a sharp rattling sound. Yes, it can be very damaging to an engine.

Problem is usually low, rather than high octane fuel though.

Modern engines with knock sensors, as dan says, use piezo sensors to detect detonation and virtually instantaneously adjust the engine settings to keep the engine just off pinking over a range of fuel octane ratings. By keeping the engine at the limit efficiency and performance are improved, and that's why such engines will perform better on the higher octane fuels, which have greater detonation resistance.

Regards

John
In the Pink. - ian (cape town)
What a shame our North-East correspondent, who was well known for pink Chieftain Tanks, etc is no longer with us.
I'm sure he would have provided a very comprehensive explanation. '>)
Re: In the Pink. - Mark
Now then Ian I don't think he would have been able to,
however don't think he has gone away I am getting very suspicious about a number of recent posts that have appeared.

as ever

Mark
Re: Pinging (or Pinking): Autorepair.about.com - J todd
Go to

autorepair.about.com/

search "pinging" (Americanism for pinking) or "spark knock" and you will the answer.

SPARK KNOCK
Related Terms ? Detonation

Definition: This is the pinging or rattling noise sometimes heard during acceleration that indicates detonation is occurring inside the engine (See Detonation). Spark knock can be caused by a variety of things including using low octane fuel, over-advanced ignition timing, too much compression (often due to a buildup of carbon in the combustion chamber), by an inoperative EGR valve, and/or by too much heat. If switching to a higher octane fuel doesn't cure the problem, the cause should be investigated because prolonged or heavy knocking can damage the engine.
Re: In the Pink. - markymarkn
My astra (1.8i CD F plate) pinks intermittently usually when it is hot but also sometimes when it is cold. Sometimes it can be a lot worse than others, sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

I have no idea what the problem is with it - any suggestions?

Mark.