Selling cherished plate, how? - joshL
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody can offer me any advice on selling the private plate on my car?
I have never sold a private plate before.

What should I do? How do I go about it?

Can anyone recomend any of these companies that deal in cherished numbers, or how to deal with them?

Is it best to take the number off the car (on to a certificate) before I sell the number or just leave it on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Josh
Selling cherished plate, how? - Collos25
You need to put the car back on its original plate and put the cherished plate on retention.You could always put it it on ebay or in the DT saturdays motoring section, most plate dealers charge a large commission for selling it and doing the paper work for you and unless its a unique plate or very cheap it will probably sit on the shelves for years.
Selling cherished plate, how? - henry k
When I sold the plate of my last car:-
I phoned dealer A. He did not want it.
Dealer B offered me a price. Later he said, as an alternative he could sell it on commission.
I put the number on a retention as I was scrapping the car but the cost of retention is all taken into account on the deal. I sold it to the dealer. He sent me a leagal document to sign saying the plate was his.
Do searches for similar plates. You may find they are selling for less than you hope for.
Selling cherished plate, how? - Doc
most plate dealers charge a large commission for selling it and doing the
paper work for you

Many years ago I sold a plate via a dealer and his mark-up was nearly 50%!

Try E-bay first with a sensible reserve.

Selling cherished plate, how? - Peter C
If you do not need the cash quickly just put it with one of the big dealers like Regtransfers and keep it on a car. Prices of plates do seem to keep rising so someone will come along eventually. Even if you just enquire and get their valuation they will keep your plate on record and contact you if they find a buyer interested. Using this method you can always turn their offer down since you have not entered into a contract with them.

Peter
Selling cherished plate, how? - scrapmetal
I sold my girlfriends cherished plate through regtransfers, it took about 4 months for them to sell it for us, but they got a good price - cost of plate + retention fee + a little bit of pocket money, would recommend to put the plate on retention first, makes paperwork easier.