2001 VW Passat 1.9 tdi cambelt advice - sinbad
I bought a cambelt kit containing cambelt, tensioner and idler but have been told that a part called a 'damper' is also required. Surely it should have been provided with the cambelt kit if it is part of the assembly. Also what is a damper and what does it do.

Thanks.
2001 VW Passat 1.9 tdi cambelt advice - George Porge
I think you will need a belt, tensioner, an idler and its highly recommended you replace the waterpump for a non OE one, the type with a metal impeller (not plastic that VAG uses as they tend to spin on the pump shaft after a while) from GSF / ECP etc
2001 VW Passat 1.9 tdi cambelt advice - 659FBE
You need to be careful buying cambelt kits for this engine as the tensioner detail changed in about '02. Early PD engines had a damper associated with the tensioner wheel which had to be locked closed with a forked plate when changing the belt.

As part of VAG's quest to make cambelts last a bit longer, the later engines were fitted with a friction type of damper which is effectively within the tensioner wheel. If you femove the engine cover and unclip the upper timing belt cover (no other dismantling required) you can see which type you have. There is a notch and a pointer on the later type.

Heed the good advice about the water pump - change it for a pattern part with a metal impeller. Take care with every detail when you do this joib - these engines are very hard on cambelts.

2001 VW Passat 1.9 tdi cambelt advice - mss1tw
Take care with every detail when you do this joib -
these engines are very hard on cambelts.

That's only the PD's though? (I hope)
2001 VW Passat 1.9 tdi cambelt advice - 659FBE
Obviously, any cambelt change should be done with meticulous care, but due to the insane belt loadings there is no margin at all for error on the PD engine.

Common rail engines are much kinder to the belt as the fuelling (mechanical) load imposes much lower levels of peak torque. If you're brave (?), PSA say that some of their common rail engines will run to 150k miles between belt changes.

2001 VW Passat 1.9 tdi cambelt advice - Roly93
I think the cam belts on the newer 2.0 PD engines are a bit wider and hence a bit more durable now, due to the previous reputation of PD cam belts.