Car stereo recommendation please - a900ss
Hi,

I have a Ford S-Max and I want to have Ipod compatibility and the ability to play MP3's that I have burned on to a CD.

When I say Ipod compatibility, ideally I am looking for a replacement HU that has a cable coming from the BACK of the head unit so that I can hide all the cables to the Ipod. I'd like it to be able to charge the Ipop, as well as being able to select playlists via the HU. Ideally I would like to do all this from the steering wheel controls although i gues an adaptor kit would be needed.

I'd also like the ability to play MP3's that i have burned onto a CD.

What HU would you guys recommend thast can do this?

The stereo in an S-Max is much larger than most aftermarket units so i guess I'll also need to get a fascia fitting plate. Any recommendations of who sells these?

All help gratefully received.

Budget hasn't been set yet - I guess I'm not looking for the cheapest but also am looking for value and don;t want to pay the earth.

Car stereo recommendation please - OldHand
I've got a Becker Grand Prix with IPOD connectivity as you describe and also bluetooth. It plays MP3 and WMA discs, is good quality and doesn't cost the earth. Highly recommended.
Car stereo recommendation please - Roly93
Personally I would recommend the Alpine range of head units, good performance, good feature set and reasonable prices. I used one in my previous car to play MP3 CDR discs for over 2 years with no problems whatsoever.
Car stereo recommendation please - Altea Ego
I would suggest any of the well known brands suck as

Pioneer, Sony, Alpine,

Match your features to your price point. Save save some money for some good speakers.

I would also steer clear of Blaupunk if i were you, very good high quality kit, but tends to be an ergonomic/useability nightmare.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Car stereo recommendation please - cheddar
I recently replaced my Mondeo's 6006 6 CD in dash changer for an MP3 compatible unit, I whittled the choice down to Blaupunkt, Alpine and Pioneer and went for Pioneer based on ease of integration with standard steering column controls and compatibility with standard dash ilumination not to mention it was around £50 less than a similar Alpine or Blaupunkt.

The unit I have is not fully Ipod compatible though many are:

www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/overview.h...5

I was always fairly pleased with the sound quality from the Ford unit though the Pioneer sounds a little better even with the standard speakers.
Cheddar - Who did you get the fascia plate from? Are they any good? Colour -black? I'd really like silver if possible to match dash.

Thanks

a900ss
Cheddar - Who did you get the fascia plate from? Are they any good? Colour
-black? I'd really like silver if possible to match dash.

Off e-Bay, this is the one, I paid about £9.00 inc postage, it is double DIN, fits well and is well made, has a handy pocket:

tinyurl.com/ys8m3k

Though doesnt the S-Max need one more like this:

tinyurl.com/2d95ps

Or this:

tinyurl.com/2gjjj7

Have a good search on e-Bay.

Cheddar one of those links was a 142 characters long...... the Tiny link in Stickies shrank them together with the width of the page. - PU !!
I've checked and Ford make a facia plate. It costs 17.25 and for the sake of a few quid, I'll take the Ford route. At least that way I know it should fit correctly.

Thanks Cheddar.

Now to decide on the HU.... Orange illumination would be best as it will match the car then.
Now to decide on the HU.... Orange illumination would be best as it will match
the car then.

www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/DEH-P65BT/...l
Car stereo recommendation please - Roly93
Cheddar - Who did you get the fascia plate from? Are they any good? Colour
-black? I'd really like silver if possible to match dash.

I doubt if you can get a fascia plate in the correct shade of silver, so I would just get a black one and spray it with the best match from a dupli-colour can.
Car stereo recommendation please - boxsterboy
Do you need/want sat-nav too?

If so, I recommend the Pioneer AVIC. Is is DIN sized with a fold out touch-screen, has DVD sat-nav disc of Europe with TMC, is also a DVD player. iPod connector available (£69) that gives use of iPod functions via fold-out touch screen, bluetooth for the phone (and stores contacts, etc.), CD changer compatability (if needed), and also has a connector to enable use of steering wheel/column controls for most cars. When the screen is folded away it looks very discreet, and also has a removable fascia piece for security.

Highly recommended (but not what you would call cheap ...)

I meant of course "well known brands SUCH as....."
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Car stereo recommendation please - Marc4Six
I have a DVD Alpine unit and it is excellent, but a little pricey compared to CD units but does everything you want.

CD unit try this one:

tinyurl.com/2zudlu

DVD unit this one:

tinyurl.com/3dej9o
Car stereo recommendation please - tr7v8
The Jag uses an Alpine unit badged as Jag as it's original fit. Mine came without a CD Changer so I had an I pod interface fitted by the main dealer {note now spelt correctly - DD}. This has iPod plug, 2 x Phono & a USB connector. Mine has a 1Gb USB key with all my music on which is circa 280 tracks & operates through the original HU via the CD Changer buttons.
Car stereo recommendation please - Waino
I've only got a radio/tape player that sometimes works so, for the benefit of an oik in Suffolk ...... what's an HU, please?
Car stereo recommendation please - Dynamic Dave
what's an HU please?

Head Unit
Car stereo recommendation please - Waino
Thanks, DD. I think I'll stick with what I've got for the time being ;-)
I picked up the fascia plate today - and rather good quality it is.

I know it was a few quid more than those on Ebay but as it's genuine Ford, I know it will fit. Also the plastic and catches are of rather good quality. It also has a cubby hole above the aperture for the stereo and this is rubber lined.

Still deciding on the HU though...
I went into Halfords today to look at a few HU's. Not to buy, just get a feel for them.

Boy was I disappointed!!!

The tactility of the units on display (Alpines, Kenwoods, JVCs, etc) was very poor. They felt flimsy and as if they would fall apart in a short time.

Also quite a few of them had very distasteful graphics.

Maybe I'm being a little conservative here but are there options for people who don't want their car to look like the inside of a nightclub.
I've already recommended one. The Becker Grand Prix unit I've talked about is ergonomically excellent, has sober restrained styling and build quality to match my Audi. It also sounds great and doesn't cost a fortune if you look around at online retailers.
www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/becker_grand_pri...l

Yup - looks classy to me.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I got mine for £220- that link is a little pricey.
Hey I like this! this so cool.

www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/becker_mexico_79...l
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Car stereo recommendation please - bell boy
its a grand and looks like it was riped from an old lada
Car stereo recommendation please - bell boy
free ....p ...here i missed it off
Car stereo recommendation please - boxsterboy
It will look good in a classic car, but for a half decent navigation, you NEED a map.

I hired an SLK in Germany once and its navigation system was a Becker unit with basic turn-by-turn instructions. Not impossible, even in German, but a map is soo much easier.