Merc B Class woes - boxsterboy
Just been talking to my brother about his wife's 18 month old Merc B200 CDI.

Apparently one of the belts was making a screeching so when it was in for a service (Merc dealer) he asked them to check and tighten as necessary. It turns out it was the water pump belt that was loose, because the bolts holding the pump had worked a little loose. But to tighten them they will have to ... take the engine out?!?!

It's all under warranty so it won't cost him a bean, but I would dread to think how much it would cost out of warranty! Is this bad design, or what?

A few years down the line, how many B-class owners will curse their cars when told of this if their pumps fail?
Merc B Class woes - Bill Payer
I would dread to think how much it would cost out of warranty!

Even for some time after warranty I would expect Mercedes to pay.

Suggest that if your SIL is going to keep the car beyond 3 years then she considers Mercedes ServicePlus - this cover all servicing, repairs & MOT until the car is 6yrs old, and is considered (by people that have it) to be a pretty good deal.

I was surprised to read the other day that B Class has just topped 250,000 units - it's selling very well in several countries, but has never taken off in the UK. Apparently a lot of German taxi drivers are switching from their E Class's to B's, which may not have been in MB's plan!
Merc B Class woes - barchettaman
......Apparently a lot of German taxi drivers are switching from their E Class's to B's, which may not have been in MB's plan! .........

Not seen one yet in Frankfurt, but there are a few mean looking Chrysler 300C taxis - although the taxi beige colour doesn´t really help the mafiamobile image.
Merc B Class woes - Lud
although the taxi beige colour doesn´t really help the mafiamobile image.

Think of it as camel-hair coat colour.
Merc B Class woes - gmac
I've seen a few on the run between Cologne city centre and the airport. A few VW Touran's and Ford C-Max too.
There seem to be a few German taxi drivers moving away from the traditional E-class.

I had a B200 CDi hire car while my car was in for a service. I thought Massey Ferguson had misplaced a powerplant.
After my S60 D5 this was definitely one rough diesel and so asmatic when linked to the autobox. Horrible combination...
Merc B Class woes - boxsterboy
Thanks for the advice on ServicePlus, Bill Payer, I'll pass it on.

I still can't get over the fact that the engine has to come out to change, or even just tighten, the water pump???
Merc B Class woes - Avant
"I had a B200 CDi hire car while my car was in for a service. I thought Massey Ferguson had misplaced a powerplant."

Very true. I think I may be the only backroomer with a B-class (or admitting to it) - at least, touch wood, mine has been reliable over 15 months and 24,000 miles.

I weote to the MD of Mercedes UK and got a full page reply by return (signed by him in blue ink!); he said that management had tested the B before launch, said it was too noisy, and had further soundproofing installed. Sadly, not enough - and the diesel automatic has much too large a gap between (in the words of Andrew Frankel in Autocar) pressure on the accelerator and the arrival of shove.

My fault for test driving too new a car (not much choice - it wa a new model early last year) and assuming it would loosen up.

In fairness -

- very good, relaxed and quieter at motorway speeds
- excellent seats and passenger room
- good flat floor in the back when the rear seats are folded down, with no need to remove the headrests.

So not a disaster, but frustratingly not as good as it could have been. And unless you get an especially good deal as I did, it's too expensive for what it is.
Merc B Class woes - rjr
I think I may be the only backroomer with a B-class

I am on my second, shortly to collect my third.
Merc B Class woes - Bill Payer
I am on my second shortly to collect my third.

They don't seem to last long in your hands!!
Merc B Class woes - gmac
The car itself was very easy to drive and place on the road, unlike my neighbours PT Cruiser.
Putting my daughter in and out of her child seat was very easy as the height of car meant dropping her straight into the seat, no bending or stretching.
The boot easily took her pushchair plus all other shopping paraphenalia.

Getting in and out of the drivers seat took a little practice as the car has no footwell. That was weird. The floor is completely flat in the pedal box.

If they sorted out the refinement of the engine it would be an extremely useful car.
I just couldn't live with the din it made on the motorway and the poor fuel consumption.
Merc B Class woes - oldbuffer
I changed to a B180 cdi se auto from a Volvo V50. the Volvo was cumbersome, difficult to park and even more difficult to exit after a long journey, (old age).
The B is the opposite, never again a Volvo.

No problem with the auto, have surprised one or two racers away from the lights and if you want to use the sequential box even quicker.
Agree its a bit like a Transit van when you start the engine but inside the cabin its as quite, or quieter than a Volvo. No complaints so far.
Merc B Class woes - Collos25
Not seen one yet in Frankfurt, but there are a few mean looking Chrysler 300C taxis - although the taxi beige colour doesn´t really help the mafiamobile image.

Noticed a few in Dresden ,the cars are not painted that colour it is in fact a type of stick on plastic if you look inside the doors you will see the real colour normally silver.