PSA: M62 westbound near Leeds - David Horn
Just spoken to someone who's had the horror of trying to navigate the 30 miles from Leeds to Rochdale - it took him nearly 3 hours and apparently the traffic is backing up and getting worse. Don't bother if your journey takes in junctions 26 - 22. Due to a lorry fire and a broken down transporter.

Thought you'd like to know if you're in the Leeds / Huddersfield area and using that stretch of motorway this evening.
PSA: M62 westbound near Leeds - Micky
Yes. I've considered that Plod should Chinook in an armoured bulldozer for this type of incident. Providing no-one is seriously hurt, bulldoze the smoking wreckage/broken down HGV off Liz's highway and return to normal traffic flow ASAP. This strategy can also be used to deal with burning vans and their gas cylinders.

OK, so they might need more than one Chinook for an armoured bulldozer, but that's a mere detail.
PSA: M62 westbound near Leeds - daveyjp
The resulting fire destroyed the tarmac surface. Removing the debris is the easy part, resurfacing a motorway at short notice is a little more difficult.
Quick setting concrete, one hour (or less) and it's ready to go.

Next question please.
PSA: M62 westbound near Leeds - rtj70
Micky, your comments are tongue in cheek - I hope :-) but....

What if they did bring in military type temp road building equipment to span the problem section. And then fix overnight. Is this not an idea worth considering?
Oddly enough, no. It's an engineered solution. The M25 has been closed for over 24 hours due to gas cylinders in a burning van. Armoured bulldozer will push the wreck into an adjacent field. Or the next county. Or just crush the thing with a tank. I don't care how "they" do it, just open the road ASAP.

The authorities place no value on the lost time due to the effects of a traffic jam, it doesn't appear directly on their bottom line. The scandal of the closure on the M11 a couple of years ago due to a couple of inches of snow is typical. Senior Plod wouldn't take responsibility for closing the opposite carrigeway and dismantling the crash barrier to turn the traffic.

"More than my job's worf, mate."

It's what they're paid to do, take responsibility. If they won't take responsibility then sack them.

>More ranting<
PSA: M62 westbound near Leeds - Pugugly {P}
"Armoured bulldozer will push the wreck into an adjacent field"

Yep - never mind the farmer !
">Yep - never mind the farmer !<"

Correct, they've had enough subsidies out of me over the years. And now that the U-boat threat has finally receded, we can rely on imported food. The most important function of farmland is to act as a receptacle for wrecks that are bulldozed off roads that I am trying to use.

In fact, when I'm in charge, farmers will not be allowed to drive agricultural machinery on Liz's road whatsoever. They can use forks and hoes instead.