Audi wishbone bushes - Richard Hall
My Audi Coupe just failed the MoT on worn front lower wishbone bushes. I've got some new bushes, but they look like a pig to fit. Has anyone out there had experience of doing this job, and do you have any helpful hints? I was going to change the wishbones complete to save time, but German & Swedish don't list them for the Coupe 20V.
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - Ian Walker
Richard,

I presume that you've seen the articles in Audi Driver covering this? Late last year, early this.

Cut burn out the old rubber, carefully cut the metal bush outer, bend back & remove from wishbone.

They avoid the need for a press by using the polyurethane replacements. I copped out and had mine done professionally, but wouldn't use the poly bushes again - ride gets a bit too harsh.

If you want the articles, email me & I'll try scanning them.

Ian.
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - jason c
ian can you send me the articles on wishbone bushes as im not paying £192.00 from audi to do the job ill give it at go myself thanks jason
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - Dynamic Dave
Jason,

Not sure if you noticed, but Ian's post is almost a year old.

I was going to suggest that you email me and I could in turn forward it onto Ian for you, BUT I can't find any record of him on the Back Room Database. It might be that he has changed his name, or simply vanished.

DD.
thanks for trying DD I DID NOT LOOK AT THE YEAR CHEERS JASON
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - El Dingo (Martin)
Richard,

I did our A80 front offside bushes about three months ago, using genuine Audi parts.

With the suspension arm off the car, I heated around the bushes with a blowtorch (plumbers variety) then whacked them out with a hammer.

To get the new ones in, I made up a 'squeezer' using M8 studding and two collars made out of tube. I used a larger tube (actually a socket) to push on the suspension arm and a short length of tube with the same diameter as the bush outer and a big penny washer, again heating the suspension arm before starting - add some lubrication - then turn the nut as fast as possible before the heat dissipates!

Good luck,

Martin.
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - Richard Hall
Thanks Ian and Martin. I didn't get round to doing the Audi today, as the entrance to my garage was blocked by a free, but immobile, VW Polo. Now I've put that back together, I'll tackle the Audi tomorrow.
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - Tony N
I did this job on an A80 too, I take it the coupe has the same McPherson setup not the complicated multilink job like the A4. It was fairly easy as I remember. I cut the end of the original bushes off with a hacksaw (they were cotton-reel shaped) and pushed them out with a socket and a vice as mentioned above. The replacements went back in the sameway - they only had the retaining ridge on one side for easy fitment.

The real pig was undoing the anti-roll bar retaining brackets on the wishbones. The nuts lived in a ridge in the wishbone so getting socket on spanner on them was near immpossible, not good when they've been there for the last 17 years! I ended up cutting them off and throwing them into the house-over-the-road's hedge in anger!
Re: Audi wishbone bushes - IanW
Hmmm, curious co-incidence...

DD - Ian hasn't vanished, he continues to enjoy the BR as much as ever. But periodically I have to re-register if my PC is changed as I can never remember passwords.

I have today taken delivery of a set of tubes from a local machine shop to do exactly what Martin describes above (I lack a vice - well, that sort anyway). However, I believe the studding is M10 (nuts/bolts are 17mm). The poly bushes have to go, just too harsh for Reading.

Jason C/Tony N - Depending on the exact model, the anti-roll no longer mounts to the wishbone - there is a link rod that connects the a/r bar to the strut just below the spring. With luck, only the ball joint and wishbone pivot bolts need to be undone. Access is generally OK to all those, but a 17mm offset ring spanner will be required, that fits inside the box section of the suspension cross member.

If you want to contact me, I've updated my profile.

Ian.
IAN THE MODEL IS AUDI 80 1996 have you still got the articles in audi driver covering this. thanks jason c