Ford Focus 1.6 Zetect - Spark Plugs - therob1984
Can someone tell me the best way to change the Sparks for my 1.6 Zetec Focus?

Subject line tweaked - PU

Top Reply

Ford Focus Spark Plugs - injection doc
Yep! remove the plug leads & undo the old plugs first & then fit the new ones & refit the leads.
Hope that helps

All Replies

Ford Focus Spark Plugs - injection doc
Yep! remove the plug leads & undo the old plugs first & then fit the new ones & refit the leads.
Hope that helps
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - MikeTorque
Open bonnet, remove leads cover plate. First unplug each of the leads off the top of each spark plug, they'll need a good pull to get them off so use as many fingers as you can underneath the rubber leads. Make sure you note which leads come out of which hole in the cylinder head. You'll need a long spark plug tool to go down into the head to allow the plugs to be loosened.

Take out one spark plug at a time and replace it with a new one. Rather than drop the plug into the hole place the new plug into the spark plug lead by applying only a little pressure and then lower the lead and plug into the hole, when the plug reaches the bottom of the hole shake the lead and the plug will loosen and be placed at the bottom of the hole and can then be tightened with the long plug tool, don't overtighten the plug. Then repeat the same operation for each of the other plugs, and finally put the rubber plug leads onto the tops of the spark plugs, and lastly double check you have everything back in place, replace leads cover plate, remove all bits and bobs from the engine bay area, close bonnet, start the engine to test everything works ok.
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - therob1984
:P Thank you Mike Torque a very comprehensive! :)

Im looking forward too it now. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt a "special" method.
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - 547HEW
Open bonnet remove leads cover plate. First unplug each of the leads off the top
of each spark plug they'll need a good pull to get them off

I would add :-

Twist the rubber insulators back and forth prior to pulling them upwards, this breaks the seal and makes removal much easier. Also, make sure you only grab hold of the rubber part, do not pull on the HT lead itself.

Try to use the same make/type of Spark Plug as is currently fitted, if you are not going to renew the HT leads as well. This is because the rubber moulds itself to the shape of the spark plug's ceramic insulator, providing an essential airtight seal. If you fit a non matching spark plug, (different makers provide different diameter ceramic insulators) there will very likely be an air path that the 30k plus spark voltage will prefer than arcing the 1.3mm electrode gap, giving misfire, particularly at idle, and particularly on cylinders 3 & 4 (I'd be interested if anyone can say why cyls 3&4!)

Ford Focus Spark Plugs - DP
All good advice.

You can do this job with a good spark plug socket (with rubber retaining ring inside), and a long extension. Place the new plug in the socket and push it in until the socket holds it. Carefully and SLOWLY lower the socket down into the hole, keeping it as central as possible. When the plug contacts the cylinder head, keep the weight of the plug and gently move it around to feel when it seats in the hole. When you have it in the right place, gently tighten using finger pressure only until the plug seats properly. If it goes tight at any time during the tightening process, back it off immediately and try again.

Once you've gone as far as you can with finger pressure (which should be most of the way in), keep the socket and extension where they are, pop a torque wrench on the end of the extension and torque the plug down. Unclip the torque wrench, then pull the extension back up while moving it gently in a circular motion to loosen the rubber ring's grip on the plug and prevent the socket staying put.

In my experience, these are nowhere near as difficult as they are made out to be, assuming you exercise a little care and patience. It can be daunting because you can't really see what you're doing, but I found pulling a neighbouring lead off and shining a torch in the hole can give you a reference as to the angle the plug sits at, and how deep it is.

Take your time and you'll be fine.

Cheers
DP
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - GregSwain
Use good plugs (I've always found NGK to be spot-on and the part number for your Focus is TR5A-10), and put a small amount of copper-grease onto the plug thread before putting the plug in - this'll make them easier to take out next time. Don't over-tighten them or cross-thread them - aluminium screw-threads are very easy to wreck.
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - DP
The OEM "Ford" plugs are made by NGK. It's stamped all over the insulator.

Cheers
DP
The OEM "Ford" plugs are made by NGK. It's stamped all over the insulator.

Well, definitely stick to NGK plugs then! Probably a special design for Ford because the part number doesn't follow the normal NGK pattern.
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - mstar
the genuine ford focus plugs are by motorcraft i thought. The service man at Ford dealer told me that the OEM ones are not reccomended so i am sticking with genuine ford ones and i noticed a difference as my old spark plugs were denso ones and i put the genuine ones and it seemed a little more nippy
Ford Focus Spark Plugs - jc2
I've never seen NGK plugs as OE in any Ford;they're are usually Motortcraft(Autolite) but a few models used Bosch-for service the Bosch plugs were supplied in Motorcraft boxes.
... my old spark plugs were denso
ones and i put the genuine ones and it seemed a little more nippy

I've used Denso plugs in my Almera (slightly cheaper than NGK, so thought I'd give them a try), and was very disappointed. Only lasted 8k before they were causing poor running - changed to NGKs and the difference was noticable. Have had mixed experience with Bosch - their standard single-electrode plugs are fine but those "Super 4" things are terrible.

Be careful where you buy - price for a set of NGKs for my car was £11.49 in Halfords when I last looked. Same plugs from independent motor-factor cost me £7.05 last week.
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetect - Spark Plugs - pendulum
When I did the plugs on my 1.25 Zetec I found it quite hard to get the caps off the ends of the spark plugs, and access is fairly limited. In the end I tied string around the caps and wiggled them with all the fingers I could on one hand, pulled the string with the other hand and they came off then. Apart from that it was straightforward.
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetect - Spark Plugs - L'escargot
Clean away as much as possible of the dirt on the top of the cylinder head before removing the plug leads to minimise the amount of dirt that will get into the cylinders.
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetect - Spark Plugs - CharlieFarlie

Does anyone have the Torque settings fot these plugs ??

Thanks. Charlie.