"Average speed" cameras - L'escargot
I recently passed six "average speed" cameras on the same stretch of road and sometimes I could see them flash and sometimes I couldn't. What would you normally expect? Do the cameras just work in pairs or would the six have averaged the speed over each of the five stretches of road that they covered.
--
L\'escargot.
"Average speed" cameras - sir_hiss
Averaging cameras don't flash, they use infra-red and run continuously, theyre really just clever CCTV. They work normally in pairs, one for the zone entry and the other for the zone exit. Folk lore states that they can be fooled if you enter the zone in one lane and exit in another but I've not been brave enough to try. I suspect they may have been rigged up to work in conjunction with standard gatso type cameras to catch out those who slow down before a gatso then speed up afterwards.
Averaging cameras don't flash they use infra-red and run continuously theyre really just clever CCTV.

Well, both myself and my passenger thought we saw a circular flash in the top left-hand corner of the central "box" ~ there were three "boxes". Maybe it was our imagination.
--
L\'escargot.
"Average speed" cameras - local yokel
There are three sets of these on the slip road from the M26 to the M2 - I always forget the third set. The cameras are lean specific - they are in pairs on this two-lane section, and they use plate recognition to time the section(s) - my guess is that the database can not look up to see if car A has passed subsequent cameras in other lanes, hence the lane change dodge.

I can't see that it's impossible to build a system that can cross-compare, and I guess they'll come in time.
"Average speed" cameras - Brian Tryzers
>...thought we saw a circular flash...

Could these just have been reflections of the sun? (Now tell us it was at night!)
"Average speed" cameras - Hamsafar
The flashes are just reflections of a flat reflective glass disc. Maybe a infra red or polariser filter?
"Average speed" cameras - local yokel
The flashes are created by the camera pixies, who sit on every camera-like device and shine their little torches at people who are in fact obeying the limit. They like to have fun!
"Average speed" cameras - GroovyMucker
AFAIK, they're not type-approved for anything other than single-lane use, so swapping would work. I think HJ had an article about them some time ago.
"Average speed" cameras - Peter D
Read this and worry. Regards Peter
forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=20253&st=0&...0
Peter, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on Pepipoo for legal advice, but the type approval document seems to confirm single-lane use only (unless I'm missing something).
"Average speed" cameras - Hamsafar
"AFAIK, they're not type-approved for anything other than single-lane use, so swapping would work. I think HJ had an article about them some time ago."

I'm not so sure, after this was widely publicised the second time round, I noticed something odd.
The periodic calibration of those in Nottingham (A6514) included both lanes, whereas in the 4 previous years, they only did the right hand lane. This must mean something has changed, and I don't like it one bit.
"Average speed" cameras - OldSkoOL
If u dont break the limit it doesnt matter anyway :)

I assume they were what is known as SPECS cameras. tinyurl.com/yogfdd
--
L\'escargot.
"Average speed" cameras - Peter D
It isn't legal advise it was a statement from the CC to an individual. I my own view they are not lane sensitive. Regards Peter
"Average speed" cameras - PhilW
I refuse to believe that these cameras can track every car that passes them on the road widening southeren end bit of M1 and issue tickets to offending drivers.
If they can, it must be the only (gov??) computer system that works properly in UK.
I would like a few of you to test this theory of mine by speeding at more than 40 mph through these roadworks.
You get a special commendation if you can even test the system by averaging more than 40.
--
Phil
"Average speed" cameras - paulb {P}
AFAIK they're not type-approved for anything other than single-lane use so swapping would work.

>>

Although not, I suspect, for the gentleman in the Boxster I saw on the M26 on Weds who went howling through the roadworks just before the M20 junction at about 80 in a 40, and swerved violently from left to right lane as he actually passed underneath the camera gantry - by which time it would already have been too late. Plonker.
Shame.