Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - Mazda-Man
Just got back from a test drive of a 56 plate Getz with about 5k on the clock. The wife thought it was a nice little car and it certainly seems an improvement on the 53 plate 1.3gsi we tested late last year. The screen price was £7999 with £1000 min p/ex. We don't have a car to p/ex however so what would be a realistic target price to try to negotiate with the dealer?

Cheers!
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - Aprilia
Not sure, but it doesn't sound a bargain. You could probably get a brand new Swift 1.5GLX for £8500 and you'd get the extra back at future P/X time plus have a longer warranty. If you really want the Getz then offer £1k below screen price - the £1k min p/x is obviously a sweetner, so take it.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - local yokel
>The screen price was £7999 with £1000 min p/ex.

Buy an Ebay banger for £100 and have the seller deliver it to the dealer!
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - cheddar
>The screen price was £7999 with £1000 min p/ex.
Buy an Ebay banger for £100 and have the seller deliver it to the dealer!

Save the trouble £7999 with £1000 min p/ex means the dealer will surely take £6999 if pushed.

Best to negotiate a lower price with the min p-ex offer first, say £7499 then address the min p-ex offer as per above so as to pay £6499.

The Getz is the one Korean car that appeals as a Clio II replacement if we were to get another Clio II size car (the Clio III is bigger).
Sorry guys - should've been a bit clearer - the dealer told us he'd still offer the min £1000 p/ex even though we have no trade in. The question really was, is there much scope for further negotiation and if so how much.

Cheers for the feedback so far :)
So he's said there's £1,000 off for starters, and I'd be surprised if he can do more than another £250, but that might come in virtual form, eg free first service or something similar.
Do a national search for the model on Autotrader and see - there are 07 with del mileage at £7,399.
Price includes balance of 3 years free servicing and 2 years rac cover.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - movilogo
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 5-dr CZ1 brand new available for £7500.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - carl_a
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 5-dr CZ1 brand new available for £7500.

How much, up in Yorkshire they don't pay a penny more than £6500 for a new 5dr one.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - jase1
Not sure but it doesn't sound a bargain. You could probably get a brand new
Swift 1.5GLX for £8500 and you'd get the extra back at future P/X time plus
have a longer warranty.

Warranty part of this comment is inaccurate of course, but in general I agree -- never pay full money for a Korean car.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - Kuang
Autocar are reporting that one of the 1.1 Getz variants is on sale at £6500 until the end of the month - might be a bit of room for chipping away at that.
Warranty part of this comment is inaccurate of course but in general I agree --

Why? Kia is 3-year warranty and a '56 reg will have probably used at least 6 months of it...
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - Bill Payer
Why? Kia is 3-year warranty

Getz is a Hyundai though :-)
TVM for the feedback guys - we've looked around and the wife really likes the 1.4 Getz - so other cars aren't really in the equation. All being well the car will be kept for some years and it's only a second car as we have the MPV for other use. Only ever bought one nearly new car before so just wanting some info on what sort of price we could expect to negotiate. The car we drove was offered at £7999 less £1000 i.e. £6999 but we've seen elsewhere similar cars with on screen prices of £6999 which implies they'd take less than that. It's just a question of how much we can extract from our dealer either in additional £££s off or extras thrown in.

Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - doog
my wife has a 55 Getz...great little cars.you wont be disappointed...super smooth quiet engine but heavy on front tyres....we have had NIL problems.

We got a fantastic part ex of 3k on a clapped out V reg clio on a 7k screen price for the getz.

You might be suprised at the deal you get.....go in and offer 6k cash for starters... be careful though..once we struck the deal they started juggling the spec and colour
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - carl_a
Personally I'd be wanting a brand new one with 3 years servicing for the money that the 2nd hand one is costing.
>> Why? Kia is 3-year warranty
Getz is a Hyundai though :-)

OK. I was thinking of the small Kia - can't remember what its called...
Kia Rio ???
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - Bill Payer
OK. I was thinking of the small Kia - can't remember what its called...

Picanto? There's a (very slightly) revamped version due about now. It's two and half inches longer, but only because it now has thicker bumpers!
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - DavidHM
There's a Kia Rio for sale in Shrewsbury (a bit of a trek I know) but it's a 56-plate Zapp model, with air con, the fantastic 1.5 diesel engine, a vastly better car than the Getz in terms of looks, layout, performance, handling, refinement, economy and perceived quality, in a fetching metallic silver, for £6,699.

Look on the Trader - it has to be a much better bargain.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - GregSwain
I'll agree with that quality argument - I've driven both pre and post-facelift Getz models, and found the latter to be very poor quality in terms of ride, refinement, even the steering wheel felt cheap. The Kia Rio drives much better, has that fantastic punchy diesel engine, and feels like a more up-market car.
The wife doesn't want a diesel tbh.
oppps pushed the wrong button :)

The car will do about 2-3k pa max and it'll be nearly all town driving. The Getz suited her fine for this purpose and she likes the 5 year warranty.
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - GregSwain
The wife doesn't want a diesel tbh.

The Kia Rio is also available with exactly the same 1.4 petrol engine as the Getz. Not as punchy as the diesel, but very refined and flexible, and so quiet at idle you can stall it without noticing!
She did exactly that on our test drive - bless her :)
Used (56) Getz 1.4gsi target price - jase1
I'll agree with that quality argument - I've driven both pre and post-facelift Getz models
and found the latter to be very poor quality in terms of ride refinement even
the steering wheel felt cheap. The Kia Rio drives much better has that fantastic punchy
diesel engine and feels like a more up-market car.

Strange really, given that they are more or less the same car underneath.....

I'm starting to wonder about Kia -- Hyundai seem to be building the Kias with the Euro market in mind, and despite the perceived quality being better than Hyundai's, Kias come in below Hyundais in satisfaction surveys.

Could the Hyundai company be cynically cutting corners with Kia mechanicals and spending the money on perceived quality (a-la the Eurobox companies)? At the end of the day, if that's what their market research shows the average European idiot wants, well why argue?