Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Why do cars swerve into the muck at the edge of the road when I pass on my motorcycle?
Is it that
a) They just woke up.
b) They think my bike is 12 feet wide.
c) They are trying to blind me with the dust cloud.

Happens a lot in Derbyshire.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Aprilia
One thing I do (as promoted by the IAM) is to ease into the nearside to make it easier for a motorcycle to pass (or anyone else for that matter). I wouldn't go onto the verge though..
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - tyro
I wouldn't go onto the verge though.

Ahhh, but you know how to use your steering wheel accurately.

I drive on single track roads a lot, and I am surprised by the number of cars who go off the edge of the road unnecessarily. It is presumeably the phenomenon observed by GWS of giving other vehicles an extra wide berth, but it must be connected with a lack of precision in steering.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - P3t3r
I will quite often move over when being overtaken (by any vehicle) although I don't normally swerve or go into the muck at the edge. Quite often people won't leave any room for error, especially the bikes.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - bathtub tom
I move a little left when I see a 'bike about to overtake:
It lets them know I've spotted them and I know what they're about to do.
It gives them a little more space.
They're not going to hold me up, and why shouldn't I help someone along the way?
I get a nice warm feeling when I see them lift the fingers of their left hand as they pass to acknowledge what I've done, and scowl at those that don't - GWS?
I'd rather be on two wheels.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Pugugly {P}
And me, I generally acknowledge courtesy from other motorists from the bike, more than from the car.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Stuartli
>>I get a nice warm feeling when I see them lift the fingers of their left hand as they pass to acknowledge what I've done,>>

I normally flick the left indicator on for two or three seconds when it's safe for a motorcyclist to overtake - they are almost invariably grateful that you are aware of their presence and acknowledge the fact.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Wee Willie Winkie
"I normally flick the left indicator on for two or three seconds when it's safe for a motorcyclist to overtake"

Certainly courteous, however, as a motorcyclist normally sits a little higher than you, I would have thought they would know better than you when it is safe to overtake. I certainly wouldn't rely on your signal...! :-)
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - LHM
The problem with such well-intentioned 'secret signals' is that they can confuse the inexperienced. Possibly not so much bikers, but I've found following car drivers sometimes assume you're going to stop on the left and hold back - the exact opposite of what you were intending!
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - OldSkoOL
I never go into the side where all the carp is but i do try and improve visibility for bikers by pulling in closer to the left. I only really do this on country roads, A or B, other times it is pointless.

Dont want to spoil their fun and at the same time attempt to increase safety. Just like i hang out blocking visibility for people wanting to overtake when it isn't safe to do so.... unless they just keep edging out i stop doing it.

Ultimatly it is my safety i care about which leads me to do such things.

Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - bell boy
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - bell boy
i let bikes see my face in the overtaking mirror so they know i am aware they are there then its up to them to overtake safely as about 50% do
as regards the swerving i was trying to say unobservant drivers caught unawares is my pinion

Bell boy that was me deleting your first post without ruining what you later added - bear with me I'm learning ! PU Trainee Mod.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Lud
I blip the left indicator when I see them coming, if I think it's OK for them to blast through at undiminished speed. They like it.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Robin Reliant
I think that unobservant drivers are often caught unawares by the sudden noise from an overtaking motorcycle and overcompensate in a panic. Much more preferable to the odd one who sees you coming and moves out to block you. That seemed to be an increasing habit among van drivers in my latter years of biking.
--
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - andymc {P}
Yep, I reckon the swervers' reaction to being overtaken is usually something along the lines of "OH MY GOD WHERE DID THAT MANIAC COME FROM HE NEARLY KILLED US BOTH!"
Sorry mate, didn't mean to wake you ...
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - ForumNeedsModerating
It's usually because M/cyclists pass within about 2 feet when they overtake - so the learned reaction of car drivers is to, metaphorically, 'wince' or as you say, swerve somewhat. I was a m/cyclist for many years, so know the illicit thrill to be had from a close overtake.

On a more general observation - I notice m/cyclist skill levels seemed to have decreased, in proportion perhaps, to their greatly increased b.h.p. - the observation & planning previously required for overtakes obviated by the much improved power/weight ratios..

Oh.. and please get an understandable 'signature' ;)

Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Lud
Was it Hale and Pace who did the double-take brothers?
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - DP
lol. It was Harry Enfield.

"That's funny, we haven't seen a motorcycle all day"
"WWUUUUUHUUHUHHHUUH!!"

:-)

I always deliberately move over when I see a bike (if safe to do so), as much to say "I've seen you" as anything else. About 80% of bikers in these parts stick their hand up, foot out, or nod by way of thanks. I certainly thank people if I'm out on the bike.

Cheers
DP
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The problem I noted still occurs if I overtake legitimately on the rhs side of the road.
If someone obviously makes room for me they will get a wave - but a dust cloud no thanks.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - v0n
/Jon Stewart "meet me at camera three" face on/
If I may suggest... switch off your main beam/lower your headlamp level (whichever applies) and you might discover them blinded car drivers will stop swearving.
It is estimated every year 569 motorcyclists are killed, 5,939 become seriously injured and just over 18,000 slightly injured due to headlamp muppetry and main beam wagging.
/Jon Stewart face off/
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Why Do Cars Swerve When Overtaken? - Hamsafar
Do you mean Alastair Stewart ?