306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - Barry_M2
Morning all,

My Pug 306 (1.6) R reg has just started making a strange grinding noise when I lift off the accelerator. Seems to be coming from the front, I think from the right (drivers side) area.

Only really seems to do it when slowing from 40+mph then goes when the speed drops below that, or I accelerate again. I also notice a very faint squeeking noise when turning the steering to the left.

.*******

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Barry
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - Dynamic Dave
.*******

Welcome to the BackRoom Barry.

In case you were wondering, the swear filter eliminated some of your post. Can you try again without the expletives.

DD. BR Moderator.
Thats odd, I didn't swear in any of my post!

The bit it removed said...

"I have a feeling its the drive shaft, but wandered if anyone else has had a simelar problem".... or something along those lines.

Cheers

Barry
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - wayne1980
make sure you get the brakes and wheel hubs checked ASAP. sounds like you may have gone down to the metals on 1 or more of your brake pads
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - yorkiebar
Sounds more like driveshaft/ c v joint, or possibly even wheel bearing to me.

Still needs checking though.
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - wayne1980
yorkie you may be on there i did have trouble with my wheel bearings on my old 1.9dturbo. best get it checked though
I had the wheels off yesterday, plenty of meat on the pads. Couldn't feel any play in the bearings which is why I suspect the d/shaft.

I had a quick look on GSF parts site, but they dont list a front bearing for the 1.6 petrol.

Its odd that it only does it while slowing down, when I put my foot back on the loud pedal and accelerate (even gently) the noise stops.

It also stops when I turn the steering wheel while slowing down (ie: on a corner).
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - nigeb
hi,
I've had the same problem with my 306. Its 3 bearings and a few gears in the gearbox which have gone. Cost me £550 to fix. Its a real common fault with 306's. Sorry for the bad news!!

Nigeb
I dont think its the gearbox, the noise isn't coming from that area, its coming from drivers side front, gearbox is the other side.

I have a feeling its wheel bearing as I can get the noise to stop by turning the steering wheel when slowing down.

£550!!! , just as well I do the work myself rather than let a garage loose on it!

306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - thomp1983
nigeb is referring to what are commonly known as diff bearing failure, can be tested by jacking the front up, start the car put it in second and use your foot to stop the wheel turning if you continue to get the noise then it's likely the box bearings as your effectively stopping the drivetrain so any noise can only emit from the gearbox. my dturbo is doing this at the minute but only when steering left just haven't got round to fitting my spare box yet.

if you suspect it is a wheel bearing get it jacked up and tested soon as when they fail completely it can cause major problems

chris
Thats the odd thing, it wont make the noise when driving slow, or when accelerating. Its only when you lift off the throttle it does it, and when you press the brake it also stops making the noise!

306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - mfarrow
Thats the odd thing it wont make the noise when driving slow or when accelerating.

Exactly what happened to a friends gearbox (Xsara, same thing), but his was more of a knocking. Another in an 1.4 306 saw the diff lock up so badly he couldn't turn left.

1.4 and 1.6 PSA gearboxes are both the same.

--------------
Mike Farrow
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - nigeb
yeah thats the same fault i had. only make a noise when lift off the gas.

nigeb
306 (1.6) Grinding noise when slowing - calvinmedia

BAD NEWS MATE IM AFRAID THE PROBLEM IS YOUR DIFFERENTIAL IN YOUR GEARBOX DO AS THE MAN SAID JACK YOUR CAR UP PUT IN GEAR AND TRY STOP WHEEL WITH FOOT BE CAREFUL THOUGH LOL