Not so classic MG V8 - daveyjp
I was watching 'An MG Reborn' programme yesterday and it featured someone who owned an 'original' MGB GT V8.

It seemed the only original part of it were the 'G' reg number plates and the V8 badges on the front grille and boot. The body shell was pcompletely new, engine was a 4.2 litre V8 as fitted to Range Rovers (changed from the 3.5 litre originally fitted), gearbox was a 5 speed and the wheels, brakes and suspension were all upgraded to racing spec.

Despite the car being completely new it still qualified for classic car tax i.e. £0 per annum, I assume because the guy still had the registration documents. I fail to see how a new car could be considered a classic and to my mind it was no more than a kit car.

Does any know the regulations? I assume as long as the body shell is the same shape as the original car it maintains it's classic status?
Not so classic MG V8 - DrS
I think you have to have the original bit of bodywork which bears the original chassis number.
Recall some years ago there was a surge of interest in Frogeye Sprites where some parts like 6" bits of rotted bulkhead were being sold for thousands, as they could be rebuilt into complete new vehicles.
Crazy.
Not so classic MG V8 - mss1tw
This broom has had 12 new heads and 5 new handles
Not so classic MG V8 - csgmart
It's done on a points system whereby you have to retain a certain number of main parts (each of which have a certain number of points) and these have to total up to a certain number.

I believe there is some information on the DVLA website which explains this in more detail.

There must be hundreds of 'old' cars running around in newer bodyshells etc and still they claim free tax - nice if you can get one!
Not so classic MG V8 - Lud
But do you think we would be better off if they were lacy old rustbuckets with suspension to match csgmart?

Old reg, new chassis isn't such a bad idea surely?

Of course there are old cars that are still sound and solid. But there's no harm in keeping things safe. It's all sheet steel after all. Leave it to the Concours or other scrutineers to denounce the thing as a forgery. They won't want to unless it looks awful or is a blatant upgrade.
Not so classic MG V8 - kievclive
In fact, its not even an original V8 - John Costello was the first to 'shoe-horn' the V8 into the MGB (if memory serves that was circa 1970/71 and the first BL models only came out in 1973) on the other hand - the practise of making an older car more up to date given changing traffic conditions etc, etc is quite sensible in particular with the MGB with its cantilever suspension and pretty weedy brakes - probably just qualified as anorak of the week!
Not so classic MG V8 - kievclive
Sorry - meant lever arm dampers.
Not so classic MG V8 - Altea Ego
It is every MGB's dream, and they all try to, return to the iron ore from whioch they were hewn.

Each one should be encouraged on this quest.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Not so classic MG V8 - Cliff Pope
There is a crazy anomaly in the points system for determining originality. A car can have a brand new replacement chassis or bodyshell and still be "original", but if a rotten shell is replaced by an authentic good one of the same period, then it has to be inspected and will be re-registered with a Q plate.
Not so classic MG V8 - Roly93
Firstly can I say how I enjoyed this programme, as it took me back to the days when you could fiddle with cars, and there were no ECU's, dual mass flywheeels or throttle position sensors !
However it does give an entirely distorted view of restoration projects, in that they have every tool imaginable and a seemingly unlimited budget.
Personally, I couldn't see that the MG they had was econoically worth restoring, and I think in truth they knew this when they got further into the bodyshell restoration.
Not so classic MG V8 - Dynamic Dave
Firstly can I say how I enjoyed this programme ...

With the exception of "A plane is born" I have enjoyed all the "Is Born" series.