Car buying advice - LinuxGeek
I'm looking to replace my Volvo S40 TD. I need a car which could do 80 miles commuting trip daily plus almost 200 miles per week for pizza delivery job. I would be doing 25-30k miles each year. I'm ideally looking for a diesel car with a modest budget of around £1k. Reliability and economy are the only things I'm after the rest would be bonus. What could you suggest? Thanks
Car buying advice - local yokel
My Pug 405 is still going strong at 188k and 14 years old. Saloons are around £500 for a nice one, estates about £750.
That's not bad for the price but to be honest Pug 405 is quite old so it'll be hard to find parts etc.. isn't it?
Car buying advice - DavidHM
405 parts are dead easy to find ... dealers will still stock virtually all, except for things like trim - which are cheap and plentiful in scrapyards.

www.eurocarparts.com will be cheaper - it's about £3.50 for an oil filter, for example.
What are your thoughts on Mazda/Toyota/Nissan diesels? I know these are very reliable names but don't know how good their diesel engines are and if they're as economical as Peugeots or VWs. There're plenty out there within my price range. Thanks.
I've seen a T plate 99 Mazda 323 2.0 TD with 133k on the clock and I should be able to get that one for £1200. Just wondering how much life the engine has got left in it? Are Mazda diesel engines good enough to rack up 250 to 300k miles? I'm quite keen about this car so would like to know what you *experts* think. Thanks