MGF Trophy V TF 160 - bbroomlea{P}
Hi

I am soon to be looking to buy either an MGF or TF. This is to be a third car so needs to be the right choice!

I am currently considering either a Trophy or a TF160. If the right VVC MGF came along then that would also be an option. Budget is around 5Kish

Which do you think will be the better drivers car for weekend use only?, the best looking? etc? Servicing and repairs I expect to be minimal but the same on any of the two.

One last spanner in the works, it will be used to tour europe next summer, going through Italy, south of France and back, possible Nurburgring! (route not confirmed but lots of mountain passes and a trip to Cannes and Monaco are definate!)

Any options that are a must have? Leather is really the only definate at the moment

Unfortunately an MG is a bit of an obsession and as good as an MX5 is, the MG is the the only badge option!
MGF Trophy V TF 160 - stunorthants26
Trophy, everytime.
Working at an MG dealer for many years, I drove every incarnation of the lil MGs and these were by far and away the best. The TF is too hard riding whereas the F has a softer ride, good for touring, but still sharp round the corners. The TF just isnt worth the extra money either.

I did a 150 mile journey in a Trophy across country and it was just fantastic and so much better than the TF loan car I brought back.

Trophy has leather anyway. Id look out for a hardtop aswell and avoid yellow as its an aquired taste.
MGF Trophy V TF 160 - bbroomlea{P}
Cheers, think I will go for the Trophy. I dont like the interior console and door cards in the same colour as the paintwork although I assume I can change those to aluminium. I have seen 1 or 2 black ones that may be my preferred choice but they seem to be very rare - I am with you on the yellow although it does seem to be very popular!

Any tips on buying apart for headgasket that I will keep an eye out for!
MGF Trophy V TF 160 - deepwith
If you fancy a day out and do not mind risking a trip to the New Forest, Sammy Millers Motorcycle Museum near New Milton is hosting a rally for over 200 MG's this Sunday (June 3) with everything from a 1937 model up to the latest model. You would be able to chat to all the owners! They are then taking part in a New Forest run, ending up at Exbury. For those who are worried about the Lyndhurst problem you do not need to go via Lyndhurst to either destination. The event raises money for the local air ambulance service and the Hampshire Children's Friendship League.
MGF Trophy V TF 160 - stunorthants26
You can get alu interiors yes, wood aswell.

Its not black, its called Anthracite and its actually a very dark grey. They also came in Trophy Blue which is my personal favorite.

Join the owners club - they know the cars inside out and their web forum is a huge resource for all things MG.

HGF aside, id say try and find one with a proper SH and do make sure the suspension is at the correct height as many allow it to drop and dont get it pumped back up, although this only happens every half decade or so.

Any specific questions by all means ask tho.
MGF Trophy V TF 160 - Micky
Buy carefully, it's not an MX5 .... it's much better.