Sound system "terms" - Carl2
If I wanted to purchase a new "stereo" for the car. would there be a technical term to describe a system that can be controled by the steering wheel controls. Almost all the specs that I have looked at just seem to list a vast array letters that mean nothing to me. Almost forgot I would also like to keep the dash display (02 Astra). Thanks
Sound system "terms" - Armitage Shanks {p}
Does your 02 Astra have a steering wheel with controls already fitted but not wired up?
Sound system "terms" - Carl2
The controls are fitted and operate a standard radio casette supplied from new with the car. Its just that every time I walk into Halfords or Argos they seem to have cd/radios on offer in the£70-£100 price range. Main dealer quoted me just under £200 for the same basic system.
Sound system "terms" - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well on the basis that Halfords do a fitting service, not free but not expensive either, ask them what they can sell you and fit in such a way that it will work. Argos have good prices but they don't fit things and personally I am no electrician! Good luck - let us know how you get on!
Sound system "terms" - BobbyG

Carl, don't know if this is of any help?
Sound system "terms" - Dynamic Dave
Depending on the stereo, you can also get various adapters that will use the existing remote stereo display in the dash as well.
Sound system "terms" - Hamsafar
VDO and some Philips radios will utilise the display and controls (plug & play).
Sound system "terms" - Carl2
Autoleads site is exactly what I was looking for . All the info I could want. The other site also looks like my kind of place to use in the future. Two more sites for my collection. Many thanks.

Ask Honest John

Value my car