Can someone help me value my bmw? - chris
Hello,

I am considering selling my BMW 328I Sport. It is in excellent condition and has ESR, Sport pack - including 17inch alloys, bmw bodykit, 1/2 leather sport seats, 6 stack cd system, recent michelin pilot sport tyres (£190 a piece). In addition to the usual spec of these cars it has got a BMW fitted rear spoiler. It also has FBMWSH and 87k on the clock. It has 12 months MOT, tax and is due for a service in the next few hundred miles.

If someone could give me an accurate price I would be greatful - the guides vary a lot.
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - smokie
The only accurate price is the price which someone is prepared to pay for it.

IMHO the guides provide you with a vague ball park and no more, but I have had to sell good cars (privately) way below guide prices in the past just because there was no interest. So start with an average of the guides then see how it goes...no enquiries, drop the price, if your phone doesn't stop, - tell 'em its sold and readvertise later for higher price.

Good luck
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - chris
you see someone came along today and went away to look at others - but he asked me if i would be prepared to take £9100, i said no but i would negotiate on my price. I have my car advertised at just under £10000
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - Bono Estente
Did you forget to put in your post the year/reg of your car?
Re: how old / year-month of reg - JB
??? how old
Re: how old / year-month of reg - chris
sorry yes - its a 1996 P
Re: parkers, etc. web sites - JB
Have you tried Parkers.co.uk, Lovekyn.co.uk (for Glass's guide), Whatcar.com for their values? How do they compare to what you are asking for?
Re: parkers, etc. web sites - chris
right, well parkers is about £9100 (PRIVATE)-£9700 (DEALER), what car is £9700 (PRIVATE) £10250(DEALER) My car is in good order throughout, due a service in 3000 miles i think - what do you guys reckon its worth - it has got more kit than most of the cars around and also has a FBMWSH instead of a FSH
Ditch the kit! - ian (cape town)
Chris,
have you considered stripping a lot of the kit off, and flogging the stuff on seperately?
The prices quoted, I'm sure, will not take into account all the extras (which are a matter of personal taste IMHO).Also, if it looks like a car which has been used enthusiastically, maybe that will turn a few people off...
Re: Ditch the kit! - chris
Hi,

The kit is not over the top - its actually all proper BMW stuff fitted at the factory - take a look at the car at this website:

bmw328sport.tripod.com/details.htm

It hasnt been heavily used either and does not look like a 'boy racer' machine. Its basically 1 model down from the M3 Evo - but instead of having the 3.2 engine has the more civil 2.8.
Re: Ditch the kit! - Andy P
At times like this, I find Autotrader.co.uk invaluable for finding out what the current market value of a car is. A quick look through shows the following:

96, 80K, £9995
98, 80K, £11,500
96, 59K, £12,400
97, 72K, £12,500

So, based on the spec of your car, I'd say you've probably priced it about right, but I wouldn't go below much below £10K.

Andy
Re: parkers, etc. web sites - Andrew T
claims to show Glass's trade-in values
Re: glass's value - JB
Lovekyn site says Glass's value for 96P Sport manual at 90000miles is £8360 if car is in excellent condition.
Re: glass's value - chris
yea, but thats a trade in value, im on about private sale
Re: glass's value - JB
They quote £10750 as retail value. So if you get something between retail and trade-in, that would be a fair price. In the end it depends on how much demand there is for your particular car in view of colour, mileage, plus extras which may or may not be atttractive to buyers. As a previous reply said, it is worth what someone is prepared to pay and what you are prepared to accept.
Re: glass's value - chris
Yea, i can certainly see what you are saying. I have had it advertised for just under £10k, had a few responses. I reckon I should lower the price slightly though perhaps...the problem is it is hard to know what it is worth and although it is only worth what someone is willing to pay i dont know what the figure should be based on! - i think i will keep it around the 9.5k mark
Re: you are not LAS / Chris Watson? - JB
Your style and questions remind me of another Chris.

I hope you are not one and the same.
Re: you are not LAS / Chris Watson? - Pat
JB,

I've just had the same thought - see how much will this little lot cost? thread. Plonker puller or genuine?

Pat
Re: you are not LAS / Chris Watson? - Geordie Chris's cat
Well, I hope he is. I've had enough of being feral I can tell you. <@O¬
Re: you are not LAS / Chris Watson? - Pat
Thought as much! End of thread presumably.

Pat
Re: you are not LAS / Chris Watson? - chris
Hi,

I made that thread as well yea - thought i would keep it seperate though as could be confusing - i am considering a 528i which i have seen for sale but have to sell the 328i first. Nothing dodgy dont worry! :-D - who is chris watson by the way? i am chris hughes, only found this site from a bmw site yesterday
Re: you are not LAS / Chris Watson? - ian (cape town)
chris wrote:
who is chris watson by
> the way?

Well, to put it simply, he is/was a millstone around our necks for a LONG while.
Eventually, after a humiliating session where he told one lie too many, he has disappeared into the ether, hopefully never to darken these portals again.
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - Jud
I would'nt pay more than 5k to 6k , it's a six year old car that has a high insurance rating a is heavy on petrol , with potentially expensive repairs waiting.
To sell privately you will need some luck and a low price say 2k below a BMW dealer price.
dont be silly! 5-6k is well below the going rate. I have had it on autotrader for £50 under 10k and had 4 people interested in a week, i reckon it was a bit high so have reduced the price slightly. Also, according to my dealer the sport edition is the most desirable and i have been offered £8000-9000px already from other garages (lowest has been 7.5k from a volvo dealer...but i didnt like the car enough anyway).
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - Richard Turpin
In July 01 I paid £9,500 for my 98 R 328i touring, M suspension, leather, air, BMW history, 77.000 miles. It is perfect and I love it and it's not for sale.
PS. "Heavy on petrol" is not true. I drive mine fast and get 30 MPG.
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - Jud
30 on a run yes , round town dream on, i guess 26
Around town 26 is great for a 328 or any decent car. Dream come true.
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - Phil
Yeah 26MPG round town in such a car would be impressive if you ask me. My Carlton gets low 20s around town and its only a 2.0, gets about 32mpg on a run.
Re: Can someone help me value my bmw? - Andy S
Chris:

I have just stumbled across bmwshowroom.com, which appears to be run by BMW Car magazine. There are loads of cars advertised on the site and it looks to be free to post. I have no idea if anyone looks with the intention of buying, but it might be a good (free) way to reach an already interested market for your 328?

Has anyone used this site with success?

Hope this helps and good luck with the sale!

andy
Thanks ever so much for the help everyone. Andy i will check out the site (thanks for looking that up and taking the trouble to post it - you never know, it may net me a buyer).

I will let you all know how we get on

thanks again
the beemer is now sold - Chris
hi,

Have now sold the bmw privately. thanks for the help on the matter