Weather worse than traffic for once - Lud
Went to W Sussex and back yesterday on a flying visit. Leaving London late afternoon through fairly light traffic but the usual bank holiday stuff, people jerking from lane to lane and not knowing which way they were going, but fairly light traffic, then on the A29 some rather good stuff cruising over the limit, always nice that.

On the way back though, oh dear, bucketing down, aquaplane city, lots of deep standing water everywhere even in the ruts on the dual carriageway, reduced to the speed limit a lot of the time and even below it, I must be getting old. Just as well there wasn't much traffic. Two huge pools of standing water in the outside lane of the London-bound A3 Kingston bypass.

On the curves of the A24 coming down into Dorking, in a dark place, ran suddenly over an enormous tree branch lying in the road, and a couple of hundred yards further on avoided a smaller one. Half expected damage but the car continued to drive normally although the bumps were big enough to do harm, and there still seems to be air in the tyres today.

I can't ever remember doing this before, but I stopped in the middle of Dorking and dialled 999 for plod to mention this branch. I felt that if someone was going fast or of a nervous disposition or unlucky in their car this hazard might cause a crash.
Weather worse than traffic for once - milkyjoe
did you ask to be put thru to special branch?
:o)

Asked for traffic police. The woman asked if it was an emergency. I said it was as the hazard might cause someone to crash. She wanted to know if there were any buildings nearby to identify the place. There aren't. I described where it was as best I could. She took my name and address.
Weather worse than traffic for once - Altea Ego
Did they tell you to Leaf it where it was?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Weather worse than traffic for once - David Horn
I'm surprised they didn't ask you to stick around.
Perhaps they did, but if so I didn't twig.

I wouldn't have refused to bough to the inevitable.
Weather worse than traffic for once - Micky
You're barking.
Weather worse than traffic for once - Westpig
do you think anyone was despatched to dig out the Leylandii van with all the cones in it?
Weather worse than traffic for once - bell boy
free wood
take the "plane" next time ;-)
Weather worse than traffic for once - Clk Sec
I expect the police will have got to the root of the problem.

Clk Sec
Was a damn big branch though. There's still a bunch of oak leaves stuck in the bumper grille of my car and the front number plate is splintered with a big chip out of the bottom of it. Brakes were still working OK when I got home and all tracking normal, but I will be listening anxiously for new clonks and so on next time I drive it.
but I will be listening anxiously for new clonks and so on next time I drive it.
Lud

Hope you don't have any problems.

Clk Sec
Weather worse than traffic for once - kithmo
A24, is that a trunk road. or Knot
Weather worse than traffic for once - mss1tw
If you were driving a Leylandii you'd have been OK
Weather worse than traffic for once - flunky
Went to W Sussex and back yesterday on a flying visit. Leaving London late afternoon
through fairly light traffic but the usual bank holiday stuff people jerking from lane to
lane and not knowing which way they were going but fairly light traffic then on
the A29 some rather good stuff cruising over the limit always nice that.

Did the same. Amberley back to Bucks (via Godalming/A3) - no traffic at all, you'd never guess it was a bank holiday.
Weather worse than traffic for once - Stuartli
Did the police get to the root of the problem or did they put out cones around the obstacle?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Did the same. Amberley back to Bucks (via Godalming/A3) - no traffic at all you'd
never guess it was a bank holiday.

Do you drink in the Sportsman or the Black Horse?
Weather worse than traffic for once - drbe
>>>>
>>
and dialled 999 for plod to mention this branch. >>

That was a trunk call - no?
and dialled 999 for plod to mention this branch. >>

But wood he have got through?

Clk Sec