Preventing someone overtaking - Leif
This afternoon I was driving along a straight road with a national speed limit, behind 3 or 4 cars doing about 35mph. There was a large gap ahead, so I decided to overtake the rear car, as I was nearly past the car (about 2/3 of my car was in front) I noticed that the cars in front were accelerating, and so was the car behind. I carried on, and gradually realised that I could not pull in as he was preventing me, and that I was soon approaching a blind bend and it was about to get extremely dangerous. I slowed, and pulled in behind him. On that day luck was on my side, as just before I pulled back in I was on the wrong side of the road, and dangerously close to a blind bend. IMO someone could have been killed.

The main problem for me was that his behaviour was totally unexpected. I wasted seconds trying in vein to clear his car, and then more seconds gradually realising that he was basically racing me, and that I was in considerable danger

A few miles down the road, the traffic had come to a stop. I got out, approached his car, his window was partly down, and I said "could I have a word with you". He wound the window down further. I said "Did you see me overtaking you?" He said "Yes". I said "Did you try to prevent me pulling back in". He said "Yes". I said "By preventing me pulling in, you endangered me and other road users". He said "I don't care you shouldn't have overtaken me". I then said "You are a complete halfwit" a couple of times, except the word was not exactly halfwit, and walked away. I don't really understand the mentality. He was young, and a risk taker judging by the driving I witnessed a few miles later on.

Has anyone else experienced this? It rather frightens me the idea that someone would prevent an otherwise safe overtake. It suggests to me that in order to overtake, you need not just space to clear the other vehicle, but extra 'nutter' space.
Preventing someone overtaking - Altea Ego
So you are seriously saying that 4 drivers ganged up on you? the three who speeded up to prevent your overtake, and the one who prevented you getting back? For no good reason?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Preventing someone overtaking - flunky
What's the point of overtaking when there's 3 more cars that you're stuck behind? I'm not surprised it annoyed the 4th driver. I get annoyed on motorways when people overtake me ( I leave a good distance) when there's a steady stream of traffic in front and hence no possible benefit from them overtaking.
Preventing someone overtaking - Nsar
Flunky, I'm sorry but that thinking suggests you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. If you and the cars in front in your situation just moved over then no-one need get annoyed.

I used to drive quite often on a NSL single carriage way road that could easily take four cars abreast (probably five) and the number of times I came up behind drivers deliberately driving close the centre lines was amazing.

It's a British thing, we like to wait in line but a road isn't a queue at the post office and overtaking isn't queue jumping.
Flunky I'm sorry but that thinking suggests you're part of the problem not part of
the solution. If you and the cars in front in your situation just moved over
then no-one need get annoyed.

Eh?

I'm talking about driving around the M25 at about 80 mph (basically at whatever speed the car in front is doing) in the right-hand lane at averagly busy times. I leave a decent gap to the car in front, but if some impatient fool decides to undertake (which does happen) they will just get stuck behind the car in front of me, and if they decide to undertake that car, there's going to be another car just ahead of that, and so on for the next 10 miles or so.

The alternative is for me to get right up the backside of the car in front, flash my lights like an idiot to get him to pull over, repeat with the next car, etc. Instead I will sit back and go at the pace of the car in front.
So you sit in the outside lane just driving at whatever speed the guy in front is doing?
It's an overtaking lane. If you're not overtaking, MOVE OVER!
So you sit in the outside lane just driving at whatever speed the guy in
front is doing?
It's an overtaking lane. If you're not overtaking MOVE OVER!

I am overtaking. It's the M25. It's busy. The middle lane would have a continuous stream of traffic going about 10mph slower than me. I am overtaking them.
How's someone going to undertake you then?
Preventing someone overtaking - FotheringtonThomas

Ah. Erm.... oh.

;)

Well sometimes they try to and fail, due to the traffic in the middle lane holding them up.

But what I was more talking about is something like this

x
x x

m
u
x

The undertaker is 'u', I am 'm' and the other cars are 'x'.
u can move left and since the speed differential between the right and middle lanes is small, due to the traffic on the road (could be as little as 5mph), he's not going to find it hard to get in the gap between me and the car in front, which I have left because I'd rather like to stop and avoid a pileup if something should happen.

Equally there's no point in me moving over as I would have to move back out because of the car in the middle
Preventing someone overtaking - Dynamic Dave
Sorry flucky, I tried to edit your message to put the spaces in the +'s. However I forget when I do an edit a software bug deletes the + symbol.

Anyway, luckily I copied the edit beforehand, and here is the picture you were trying to illustrate.

+ +x+
+x +x+
+ + +
+ + +
+ + +
+ + +
+ + +
+ +m+
+ +u+
+ x+ +
Preventing someone overtaking - FotheringtonThomas
here is the picture you were trying to illustrate.

It looks like a jumble of typed characters. What is it supposed to be?
Preventing someone overtaking - MichaelR
What's the point of overtaking when there's 3 more cars that you're stuck behind?

Becuase it only takes 4 gaps along an A road - of which there are often many - and you can clear them all, one at a time. Or you could get a really big gap a few miles down the road and clear the remaining 3 at once.
Preventing someone overtaking - markiexxx
Leif,

While it would be unfair to comment on your case without knowing important factors like the type of road, the road conditions, what you were driving and the condition of your vehicle.

So all I will ask is where in the highway code does it state it is safe to attempt overtaking a line of 3 to 4 cars? (apart from on a motorway - not speeding of course)

In my opinion the fact you are asking this indicates you may have doubts about your own actions. What you attempted may have been a dangerous manouvere as you were attempting to overtake multiple cars, any of which may have considered an overtaking manouvere themselves. Be honest, were you in a hurry?

If in doubt hold back - unless you have a blue flashing light and siren.

Mark.

Tip: Never try to get in front of an idiot - it just makes you a target.
It's been a good while since I read the code but I seem to recall that the entire road is yours to use for overtaking (providing the road markings don't prevent it).

The number of cars being overtaken is irrelevant and from what has been posted it is the car being overtaken that has been driven dangerously.
Preventing someone overtaking - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I read Leif's post as there being a reasonable gap between the 3rd car and the 4th. They did not all speed up in a conspiracy. Rather, when the first three sped up, the fourth closed the gap to prevent the overtake (and later admitted it). The overtake was only to get past car four, the others would have been passed when appropriate.

If the fourth car had himself been trying to pass the third, then it would be a different story, but I don't think that's the case.

My own view, when in a situation like 'car 4' , is that I would back off if I saw someone beginning to overtake and allow them to do so safely and join in front of me.
I read Leif's post as there being a reasonable gap between the 3rd car and
the 4th. They did not all speed up in a conspiracy. Rather when the first
three sped up the fourth closed the gap to prevent the overtake (and later admitted
it). The overtake was only to get past car four the others would have been
passed when appropriate.

That is exactly right.

If the fourth car had himself been trying to pass the third then it would
be a different story but I don't think that's the case.

It wasn't.

My own view when in a situation like 'car 4' is that I would back
off if I saw someone beginning to overtake and allow them to do so safely
and join in front of me.

I would do that too.
Preventing someone overtaking - BazzaBear {P}
So all I will ask is where in the highway code does it state it
is safe to attempt overtaking a line of 3 to 4 cars? (apart from on
a motorway - not speeding of course)

What? Where in the highway code does it say you can't? If there's space to do so and you can see far enough ahead, why on earth shouldn't you overtake people?
Anyone in that line considering overtaking themselves *should* be indicating.

As it happens I had a similar experience myself the other day. There were 3 cars behind a slow moving van. Having waited a short while to make sure none of them were intending on overtaking I indicated and moved out. As I was about to come alongside a Polo which was the 2nd car in the queue it pulled out with no indication. Luckily I generally drive expecting people to do daft things, and had already observed his body language and expected it. It meant that I had to slow down though, and meant that I now couldn't be sure of overtaking the remaining vehicles in the space I could see to be clear, so I looked to turn back into the line of traffic, to find that the car I had just overtaken was accelerating as hard as he could to try to block me on the wrong side of the road.
Truly homicidal behaviour. Luckily he was driving a Citroen Saxo while I was driving an Alfa GTA, so a small amount of pressure on the accelerator and I was able to move in with no danger.
I didn't even bother registering my feelings on his behaviour, there's no helping some people.
Preventing someone overtaking - Westpig
It seems to be automatic behaviour from some people,to prevent others from overtaking. It is dangerous, rude and unnecessary. If someone wants to overtake, why not let them, why not help them, let them get on with it, why would you want to hold them up.

Maybe it's their own lack of confidence and/or lack of ability coming out, which manifests itself as jealousy and spitefulness. Can't think of any other reason.

It seems to be automatic behaviour from some people to prevent others from overtaking. It
is dangerous rude and unnecessary. If someone wants to overtake why not let them why
not help them let them get on with it why would you want to hold
them up.
Maybe it's their own lack of confidence and/or lack of ability coming out which manifests
itself as jealousy and spitefulness. Can't think of any other reason.

Thanks for confirming that it is not just me. Sigh.
Preventing someone overtaking - Ford Dagenham
Hello

I put my hand up and confess that in my younger days i have on one or more occasions tried to prevent someone overtaking me.

Maybe it was pride or it could be that i thought my Ford anglia was faster than the overtaking Rover P5 or whatever it was.

Now that iam older and going Grey i just don't bother as it can cause unwanted friction
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
I still dont understand why the three car all speeded up when you started your overtake. I also have to say it does not sound like a particularly decisive overtake.

I would have had him before he had a chance to edge me out.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Preventing someone overtaking - vito
In my opinion this situation is all too common on NSL roads, and something I always try to warn new or young drivers about. They are so exposed to this with low powered cars, enthusiasm, and naivety in assuming that others follow the highway code. I've noticed several turbo-diesel drivers carrying out such a manouver when being overtaken.
I have a young relative who was imprisoned after rolling a car while trying to overtake another driver, whose statement afterwards was basically "I didn't think it was safe for anyone to overtake me, so I sped up" A passenger in my relative's car died.
Unfortunately, you can never assume that anyone else on the road has any common sense at all, and sadly there's nothing that can or will ever be done about this.
I now very rarely overtake, and take little heed of what others do on the road. You can only drive one car at a time.
Preventing someone overtaking - Cliff Pope
"A few miles down the road, the traffic had come to a stop."

So it was all pointless anyway? No one benefitted from overtaking - you could have just jogged along at the back, keeping a nice safe distance, and then slowed up gently at the hold-up. Or was it a totally unexpected obstacle on an otherwise clear road?

Overtaking one, or several, of a variably bunching group of cars must be about the most dangerous manoeuvre possible. You put your life totally in the hands of an unknown group of people who may well turn out to contain a psycopathic nut case. It's a bit like going mountaining and having no idea whether you can trust the bloke holding the rope, or not.
Preventing someone overtaking - Vin {P}
I simply love it when people on here get so morally high-handed about situations where they can visualise the situation however they wish. The OP was trying to overtake. Now, it doesn't matter if he was doing it with his eyes shut on a blind bend, the Highway code is unequivocal:

"144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you."

Note that it doesn't tell you to judge the manoeuvre in any way or to decide whether the driver is safe.

Before you all rant away at what the OP was doing wrong, why not deal with the discrepancy between the Highway code and the overtakees behaviour?

V
Preventing someone overtaking - Waino
I still dont understand why the three car all speeded up when you started your overtake. >>

I'm thinking of a stretch of road about 2miles long leading to the next village from here; it has bends and junctions. Thirty years ago, it would have been straightforward to overtake on it - but not anymore thanks to massive increases in traffic. It is normal to catch up on 3 or 4 cars who have slowed down to allow someone to enter/exit the road - as soon as the lead car has made its manoeuvre, then the following cars speed up. Experienced drivers approaching the rear of all this can anticipate the series of events as it unfolds whereas youngsters will frequently attempt to overtake.

It was on this road that I had to explain to my son that 60mph is a maximum speed - not a recommended speed! Kids - aaargh!!!
Preventing someone overtaking - Micky
Allow for idiots, improve your bhp/lard ratio, a couple of flashes on the headlights as you commence the overtake, finish the manoeuvre with a wave in the style of Moss. If you are fortunate to drive a kitcar with a side exit exhaust (passenger side), you can even downshift (or upshift) with double declutch as you pass.

It's important that it's effortless though, so avoid trying this when your driving one of those slovenly deisil things.

Must go, the rain has stopped.
Preventing someone overtaking - the_bandit
Before I can reply fully, could you tell me :

(1) How long had you been on this straight section of road before you decided to make your move?

(2) How far into the distance could you see to be clear?

(3) Before you reached this straight section of road, was the route generally twisty and unsuitable for overtaking?

Regards.

Preventing someone overtaking - pendulum
It seems to me that Leif did it all by the book. I can't understand the criticism. Well, a lot of the criticism at first was due to the fact people misread the thread and got it in their heads that there was some kind of conspiracy as multiple cars conspired to block him. This is not what he said happened.

The last time I read Roadcraft, I seem to remember it recommending to overtake multiple cars if possible, OR to "work your way up" by overtaking one at a time and slotting in to a gap in front, which is what Leif tried to do, only the driver he was overtaking deliberately narrowed the gap which was there as he started the manoeuvre.

I can't see that he has done anything wrong.
Viot: "Unfortunately, you can never assume that anyone else on the road has any common sense at all, and sadly there's nothing that can or will ever be done about this.
I now very rarely overtake, and take little heed of what others do on the road. You can only drive one car at a time."

That is very sensible advice.

I am an experienced driver but to be honest I have never before come across a situation where someone knowingly placed me and oncoming traffic in danger.

Preventing someone overtaking - nortones2
Me neither. Yesterday came up to a queue of 3 cars following a tractor and trailer at 20mph, not unusual around rural Lancashire, with all 3 well separated but apparently unwilling to overtake at the 2 or 3 possible points on NSL single carriageway. Eventually 1 turned off, I got by another (at an open stretch) and followed the Passat and tractor, well back, waiting for the next point where there is room to get by. Tractor gently pulls over into a yard entrance to let us by:) Passat nearly rams trailer, and slows down to walking pace. Maybe he's with the tractor? I signal intention to overtake both, but hold back. Sure enough Mr Passat lurches to his right, no signal, to pass the tractor. I thought they were asleep at the wheel, and he proved it. Body language tells a lot.
Preventing someone overtaking - Ian G
simple solution - get a faster car

Something near 300bhp is good, preferably turbo'd.

The 35-60 acceleration would be very rapid.

My age lets me afford to insure such cars fairly cheaply - well I might as well get some benefit from getting older.

If the cars in front were doing a genuine 25mph under the limit, in good conditions, visibility etc, then I'd find it exceedingly hard not to overtake the lot.

The fact they were able to increase the speed up to 60mph means they had no legitimate reason to be driving under the limit in the first place.

Either way, your manouvere has made them speed up, and therefore you've brought them up to your desired level of speed.

So I'd count that as sucessful, even if you didn't actually get in front.

IMO you were brave talking to the chap! Never argue with idiots - they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Ian
IMO you were brave talking to the chap! Never argue with idiots - they drag
you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Ian

Several people have in the past commented that I am both brave and stupid when I have a word with another driver. Bear in mind that my manner was calm, polite and unaggressive. I wanted to find out what I was dealing with, and I learnt that he was indeed preventing me overtaking knowing full well that in so doing he was endangering other road users. I think it was worth finding that out, as I can now drive more safely in future.
">The 35-60 acceleration would be very rapid.<"

And this is where the proliferation of speed cameras in country areas has increased risks; several years ago, an authoritative overtake by a skilled, experienced driver could require a brief stint up to, say, 80mph; clearly, this reduced the risks to all road users concerned. But now the temptation is to ease off at 60ish and try to drift past, leading to dangerous situations. Prime examples of this can be found on the roads of Suffolk.
Smokey and the Bandit said:
Before I can reply fully could you tell me :
(1) How long had you been on this straight section of road before you decided
to make your move?

A little while. It is a road I know well. The cars had been going slow for some time, even on straight sections. Oncoming traffic prevented an overtake. Other cars had opportunities to overtake the lead car.

(2) How far into the distance could you see to be clear?

A long way. Ordinarily it would have been a trivial and safe manouevre, and I would have pulled in long before the bend.

(3) Before you reached this straight section of road was the route generally twisty and
unsuitable for overtaking?

A mixture of long straights and a few bends.

In the past I have found that people often prefer to follow a slow car, rather than overtake, and that overtaking is often perfectly safe, assuming one watches out for T junction signs, and other hazards. Dropping a gear or two, and good forward observation helps. I took some IAM lessons, and was encouraged to overtake. I have numerous books such as Roadcraft and the IAM Manual, and as far as I know none of them warn about someone preventing overtaking. To be honest I will in future follow the advice of another poster, namely assume that the driver in front is psychotic, and take decisions accordingly.
Preventing someone overtaking - Hamsafar
I am astounded by some of the comments on here against the OP.
It is especially surprising on a motoring forum.
These people seem to have no idea of the spirit of the Highway Code and the spirit of the RTA.
I have nothing against the OP. I was not criticising him in the slightest. I was simply pointing out that in the event the desire to overtake was entirely pointless, because they all ended up coming to a stop a few miles further on.

Also that multiple overtaking is potentially dangerous, becaue you have to put all your trust, and your life, in others' hands.
Yes, the HC gives you guidance on how to do it in a way that minimises that risk.
The OP could easily have been killed. It would not have been his fault, and the guilty party might well have ended up in jail. Bu you surely have to ask yourself, how much risk am I willing to run, and for what purpose?
Preventing someone overtaking - Lud
There is no excuse whatsoever for deliberately baulking an overtaker on any road at all. No one seen doing this should be allowed to retain a driving licence.

I am quite staggered that anyone here thinks there is any argument about this. Or rather, having had arguments with some of them on similar matters, I am not very surprised but disgusted beyond measure.

That said, TVM does make a point: the OP suggests that four cars were involved, which seems most unlikely. He also points out that the OP might have been pussyfooting a bit.
"something near 300bhp is good"
Absolutely, I find modern cars with even 200bhp too generally lardy to make good progress in, safely (in my opinion).

Leif, I suppose it's technically possible that the front car sped up for whatever reason, and the others followed. Some, or all of the drivers could have been totally unaware of your presence, such is the level observation displayed by some on the road.

Anyway, it has happened to me, and I'll always watch out for it. Glad you came out unscathed.
That said TVM does make a point: the OP suggests that four cars were involved
which seems most unlikely. He also points out that the OP might have been pussyfooting
a bit.

As pointed out, I was overtaking one car and only one car caused me issues. I was not pussyfooting having dropped to third gear to get oomph.
Preventing someone overtaking - George Porge
As pointed out I was overtaking one car and only one car caused me issues.
I was not pussyfooting having dropped to third gear to get oomph.

You should have been in third gear before the straight if you know the road well, third gear, drop back, accelerate around the bend and easily passed on the clear straight having had the element of surprise.
As pointed out I was overtaking one car and only one car caused me issues.
I was not pussyfooting having dropped to third gear to get oomph.

Sorry Leif. Hadn't taken in yr op properly.

Most of us have had these attempts made on our lives at some point!
Preventing someone overtaking - the_bandit
As far as I can see then you were more than justified in your overtaking move.

If I can see a gap between the first and second car that I can use to help me make progress then I would have probably done the same thing and then depending on how much progress I was making decided whether I was going to finish it off and overtake the lead car.

The drivers speeding up are morons and become dangerous morons when they deliberately speed up to block your return to the left lane. I just can't follow this kind of mentality.

">A little while. It is a road I know well.<"

An early, safe overtake is a good overtake; it reduces the time available for the mimsers to wake up to the possibilities of making good progress. If it's a road that you know well then consider increasing the gap to the mimser as you approach the bend and then accelerate round the bend, road conditions permitting of course. The added velocity will increase the speed differential and reduce your time on the opposite carriageway, should you decide to overtake. I have observed this manoeuvre undertaken by locals on the Lincolnshire roads, "S" bend followed by long straight.
If you need 300BHP to over take a slow moving vehicle on a straight section of road you know well then you really need to brush up on your driving skills.

It could just be that the driver in front was preparing to overtake himself (as was the car in front of him?) and you boxed him in leaving zero space between yourselves?
"If you need 300BHP to over take a slow moving vehicle on a straight section of road you know well then you really need to brush up on your driving skills."

I'd rather use 300bhp than "the element of surprise" to overtake.
I'd rather use 300bhp than "the element of surprise" to overtake.

You can have 300bhp but if you're not ready for the overtake you may as well be on a push bike.

300BHP to overtake at tractor speeds what ever next
does anyone else get this?
Get what, exactly?
Preventing someone overtaking - dragon
I drive a sports car and travel along NSL roads and will overtake where appropriate. I have no issues with being overtaken myself and will always let them past.

But please preserve me from the "must get past at all costs" brigade. They do frighten me. Especially the underpowered ones who think that they have something to prove.

I was followed last week by some idiot who was desperate to pass. The road is twisty and there are only a couple of places where it is possible. I was doing a steady 60 and didn't need to slow for the bends whilst he was struggling to keep up.

Eventually we reached the straight hill and he as I expected pulled out to get past. What he couldn't see as he pulled out (but I could) was the glow of headlights over the brow of the hill. He also didn't have the acceleration needed to complete the overtake safely.

Too late he saw them and pulled over sharply. I had already anticipated this and had hit the brakes as soon as he began overtaking but it was still a close call.

Preventing someone overtaking - MikeTorque
It's wrong to not allow someone to overtake you as long as they do so with due care and respect the safety of other drivers on the road.
All too often I witnessed brain dead drivers dice with death with their inconsiderate and selfish driving habits. 1 or 2 fingers stuck out of windows being waved around as the cowards speed off into the sunset is a far too common a sight with younger drivers being in the majority of offenders, bet they wouldn't do that when face to face with the driver(s) they have just offended !
It is over 20 years ago since i did my advanced police driving course....4 of us would go out in a fairly swift large saloon car, unmarked (3 students and an instructor). The idea was to get a student to be proficient in speed/judgement and to read a road properly, taking advantage of any opportunities that arose to 'make progress'.

It was most regular for some cretin to try and close a gap when you were overtaking, to try to prevent you from having a safe place to pull in to....which meant 3 options:

1, brake hard and go back to where you were....(not always an option depending on your velocity
and/or how far you'd got)
2, keep going and overtake another one......(not always a safe option)
3, indicate left and start to pull in to the now much smaller gap

Option 3 was normally the one taken... yes it was forceful and could provide an element of danger, but entirely caused by the cretin who'd deliberately closed the gap. There would normally be a degree of minor 'road rage' to follow which could include headlamp flashing, horn blowing and/or wild gesticulation.....at which point all 4 officers would place their flat caps on.....and miraculously the 'road rage' would disappear.

To those that say there shouldn't be any overtaking at all........get a life. Why on earth shouldn't there be? Why should we have to bimble along at the pace of someone who wants to bimble? Sometimes i drive at a much reduced pace e.g. on holiday or occasionally when towing something, on those occasions i'll go out of my way to help quicker drivers, no doubt because i'm often one myself.

The Scottish generally help you on your way, as do the French, so why are the English so damned obnoxious and unhelpful about it. I suspect a case of 'thou shan't do what i can't or don't have the confidence to do'...which is pretty selfish isn't it.

Preventing someone overtaking - Bill Payer
3 indicate left and start to pull in to the now much smaller gap
Option 3 was normally the one taken... yes it was forceful and could provide an
element of danger but entirely caused by the cretin who'd deliberately closed the gap.

This was the approach mandated by our 'defensive' (a misdescription, if ever there was one) ex-Police driving instructors. Their view was that the blocking driver was driving dangerously and you should simply indcate and pull in. They also advocated always giving the driver a thank-you wave, which I imagine winds 50% of drivers up!
Additionally, they all very much favoured the flashing of headlights too - I have mixed feelings about this, but I tend to think (and find) that other drivers frequently seem surprised by the flash, and their natural reaction is to slow momentarily. By the time they realise what's happened, you're past them.
Mike Torque: " It's wrong to not allow someone to overtake you as long as they do so with due care and respect the safety of other drivers on the road."

I have to disagree. How they do it is irrelevant. The Highway code is clear on this, as I quoted above. In fact, I'd argue that the more insane they are, the better it is to make their job of overtaking as easy as possible. Get them ahead of you, back off then you're in control of the situation, not them.

V

>
Too late he saw them and pulled over sharply. I had already anticipated this and
had hit the brakes as soon as he began overtaking but it was still a

I have been in that position once, and was worried about which split-second decision to make. Hit the brakes so that he could complete his overtaking , or maintain speed so that he could change his mind and drop back. If you brake sharply and he does the same, he is liable to side-swipe into what he thought was going to be a gap.
In my case I held my speed and he dropped back, braking sharply, but it could easily have gone the other way.
I think the HC says you should maintain your speed if being overtaken, but I could be wrong. (That is the case at sea.)

I think it all goes to show that overtaking can create the most dangerous circumstances, and nothing should be taken for granted. At the end of the day, if there is one, it is better to be alive than have saved a few minutes.

Cliff Pope: "I think the HC says you should maintain your speed if being overtaken"

Nope, quoted above. You should slow down if necessary.

V
Preventing someone overtaking - Marc4Six
Leif - This behaviour is all too common, some/many drivers seem to resent being overtaken.

Living in Devon with its many single carriageways I have seen many dodgy manoeuvres to impede overtaking including:

Speeding up
Moving to the right to reduce room (very dangerous on narrow roads, I have done some unintentional off-roading)
Indicating right as you overtake (what's the idea of that? Certainly very off putting as you quickly re-check for any side roads/exits you may have missed)
The council/highways authority have a few bizarre road painting/furniture schemes too.

It seems the best way to deal with these drivers is to catch them unaware and at a good speed differential to clear them as quickly as possible.
Preventing someone overtaking - Hamsafar
There are some stupid people around. Last weekend, I was driving up the A614 north of Nottingham. I had been following an old Calibra driving at 50mph and it was slow to speed up after roundabouts....20....21....22....23mph, and when the road turned into two lanes at a junction, I moved over and accelerated, but he swerved into my path, so I braked and he stayed behind, so I moved to the left and he did too, so I moved back to the right and he did, and then he drove along hogging both lanes so I couldn't get past. When the road became single-lane carriageway again I went to overtake him and he swerved and braked onto the wrong side of the road, I could see his wife's head with bushy hair nearly snap off with the swerve.
Eventually, I got passed him and looked to the side, and was surprised to see a couple in their fourties and a teenaged daughter in the back with her head bowed in shame.
Living in Devon with its many single carriageways I have seen many dodgy manoeuvres to
impede overtaking including:

MF, you are right, Devon is bad....... and getting worse. The 'righteous brigade' seem to virulent down there for some reason, i think they've embraced the overly simplistic 'speed kills' propoganda too literally.

Just after Christmas i was driving along an A road (Modbury towards Yealmpton) and caught up a horse lorry and 2 cars stuck behind it.....i knew i was turning off in a mile or so (Holbeton turning)....but.... thought maybe the horse lorry would as well and didn't want to get stuck behind that for 5 or 6 miles on a country road (speed; smell...both diesel and horse; size of vehicle meeting other vehicles), so chose my spot and did all three, as neither of the cars looked as though they were going to do it. The lead car started to drift towards the crown and caused me to wonder whether he was considering a late overtake, so i bunged main beam on and considered what avoiding action i'd take if necessary.... was he hell, he gave me the 'coffee shaking' gesture with his right hand and was purely trying to make a point and unsettle me, which he did....why?

No doubt when i turned off there'd have been the conversation of "what was the point in that".. but how do i know where the lorry is going and i've lost count of the times i've not bothered and got caught behind something for ages.

I fully understand why people don't/won't do it themsleves, but have no understanding of the mentality of stopping others.
Preventing someone overtaking - corax
he gave me the 'coffee shaking' gesture with his right hand

Ha ha I like that!
Preventing someone overtaking - OldHand
People like this is why I have a car with double the horsepower of most 'fast' cars on the road. When you have over 400bhp to play with idiots like this cease to be a problem.

In the UK this queuing mentality appears endemic with people seemingly prepared to 'punish' you for having the audacity to want to make progress above the speed they deem suitable for themselves. Solution- overcome their intransigent attitude with a surfeit of power.
In the UK this queuing mentality appears endemic with people seemingly prepared to 'punish' you
for having the audacity to want to make progress above the speed they deem suitable
for themselves. Solution- overcome their intransigent attitude with a surfeit of power.

yes, i'd be inclined to agree.....when i got mine it seemed quite quick (240 brake versus about 130 on the old one) was a noticeable difference.......now it feels a bit sluggish...i suspect it's because i've got used to it.......wouldn't mind 400!
Preventing someone overtaking - mike hannon
I regularly drive all over Europe and the only time someone has actually tried to run me off the road by accelerating as I tried to pass him was a couple of years ago in the UK, on an otherwise deserted (thank goodness) road in the Cotswolds.
Only an idiot will deliberately put another driver in danger because he or she personally doesn't approve of that particular manoeuvre or can't bear to be overtaken.
English men (of all ages) and young French women seem to have most difficulty coming to terms with this.
another reason why i'll overtake and the person overtaken might think it was pointless, because i won't bother doing any more overtaking, is for a better view

by that i mean i don't want to be stuck behind a van or something similar which blocks my view of vehicles ahead, because this means i can't monitor what they're doing up ahead (because i can't see through the van)

i much prefer having a view that means i can see 5 cars or so ahead, which allows me to plan better and not be surprised by anything

no doubt the van driver would be thinking "what's this Albert Rosser up to?"...but hey ho i get my better vision, so 'c'est la vie'
Preventing someone overtaking - Marc4Six
People like this is why I have a car with double the horsepower of most
'fast' cars on the road. When you have over 400bhp to play with idiots like
this cease to be a problem.
In the UK this queuing mentality appears endemic with people seemingly prepared to 'punish' you
for having the audacity to want to make progress above the speed they deem suitable
for themselves. Solution- overcome their intransigent attitude with a surfeit of power.

I agree OldHand, may have to do something about my meagre 200bhp!
Preventing someone overtaking - Pugugly {P}
200 is sufficient - see Golf gti for more details :-)
Preventing someone overtaking - Skepsis
I have a Citroen C1 and do plenty of overtaking. I have to do lots of antisipation of corners, since most of the time Im on roads that I travel twice a day. If you leave it to horses only then you are getting lazy and not readingand using the road fully.

on rounding a corner already you should be accelerating towards the car in front, in a lower gear in case there is a straight, not deciding that its ok to go once around the corner since by then half of the straight will be used up.

Also you should be watching the on comming traffic. If a line of vehicals have gone past as you round the corner then its more likly that there is a space to overtake BUT if a single car goes past you then it probably has just passed something and there is unlikley to be a space.
Try it, the reading of other traffic that is, traffic flows in patterns and if you know the road the pattens present them selves. For instance I know if there are road works on my 'to work ' journey because of how the traffic is bunched comming in the opposite direction and the patterns get stronger the closer to the TTL's.

There realy is a lot that can be read in the bunches of traffic that are flowing in the oposite direction.
HOWEVER
having said all this no overtaking should be based on this, ever, its just another antisipation tool that can be used, like seeing headlights reflected of lorries in front from on comming traffic or even seeing a car further ahead overtaking. Its almost (and its only almost) as cert that if a car is passing up front then there will be room for you to do so a number of cars back.
Preventing someone overtaking - memyself-aye
There is a definite trend in the UK whereby people will not 'allow' anyone else to overtake. Eventually we will all be forced to drive behind the righteous moron who thinks 35 mph is 'quite fast enough'
These days they hog the centre lane of any motorway.
Its all down to the "me first, me second and last" mentality that this nation has bred.
Preventing someone overtaking - deepwith
Wow - this thread has completely changed my beliefs. I really thought it was mainly (usually incompetent) men who did this as soon as they realised it was a woman at the wheel of the overtaking and/or more powerful car. But it now appears it is just the inconsiderate and dangerous behaviour we are seeing everywhere in recent years.
Imagine a room, that is fairly bare, with just a few hard chairs in it. There's someone obviously in charge and it looks a kind of semi-unwelcoming environment

there are 7 or so people sat round in a casual semi-circle

all of a sudden, one of them stands up, looks nervous, looks to the floor. All the others refuse eye contact apart from the eager 'facilitator'

then the person stood up states "Hello, my name is Westpig and i enjoy overtaking"
And me too.....that (in italics) is not what makes me a bad person...
So now we're up to 400BHP to over take a car doing no more than 35MPH, how on earth do I manage with a mere 90BHP?

Any advance on 400?
The other option is to waft along in something old and not worry too much about overtaking anything, or there's always a Landie.
The other option is to waft along in something old and not worry too much
about overtaking anything or there's always a Landie.

Personally I do this most of the time when I'm driving.......most people aren't worth wasting the super unleaded on...........
To completely overwhelm another car that's intent on preventing you overtaking I suggest you need double it's power to weight ratio. Therefore if the cretin in question has 90bph then a car of similar weight of 180bhp will probably suffice.

As even mundane hot hatches like our Golf GTi now have 200bhp then the RS4 just about gets away with being able to swamp them................
Someone trying to stop you overtaking is all too common. I would say there is a 20% chance that someone gets the ump and trys to block you out. You dont need 400 horsepower for a safe overtake. With 100 HP I can jump someone before they realise that an overtake was planned, and it aint done by hoggin their back bumper....

On the the other hand If I dont want to be overtaken (for what ever reason) Its made perfectly clear before anyone tries it. This (and the suprise overtake) is all achieved through "body language" ;)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Preventing someone overtaking - madf
100HP?
Extravagant. I can manage on 75 and pass most.

With 400hp on our local roads and rain and tractors and MUD and horse dung and cow dung and straw , progress = sideways...into the fields.

Anyone who uses 400hp on UK roads (not motorways) will either travel for about 3 seconds at legal speeds or is a total muppet.

I'll restae that: anyone with 400hp on UK roads is a muppet as it will be totally wasted:-)
madf
Westpig said: : then the person stood up states "Hello, my name is Westpig and i enjoy overtaking"

I also enjoy overtaking, and will often stay well back from a slow vehicle in front until there is a safe place to overtake, and then build up speed ready to move right. I've often overtaken a long line of cars following a slow driver, in perfect safety, always making sure that I have an escape option in case of need (but forward observation should make that unnecessary). It amazes me how some people will form a convoy even when conditions are ideal for an overtake.

I think I will continue to overtake when appropriate, but this experience has rather shaken me (for one thing I unwittingly endangered the lives of other totally innocent road users). I've experienced being in danger due to other driver's silliness. Someone once tailgated me during an overtake. It meant that I had to consider his safety as well as mine, and try to avoid pulling in to a one car space.

I suppose a bad experience with no real harm done is a good learning experience, and should mean that I am safer in future because I now have a greater awareness of what could happen, and avoid any overtake where a nutter could stuff me. Hi ho.
>>will either travel for about 3
seconds at legal speeds or is a total muppet.
I'll restae that: anyone with 400hp on UK roads is a muppet as it will
be totally wasted:-)
madf

In those 3 seconds you can overtake the blocking idiot who doesn't want you to come past...........power is never wasted either it's just enough to know it's their when needed. Ever had the satisfaction of that?
100HP?
Extravagant. I can manage on 75 and pass most.

>>

With proper use of momentum - i.e. never slowing down - you can manage on 35 or 40 bhp. Ask a 2cv driver.... Brakes are the enemies of progress (Ettore Bugatti, to someone who complained about the brakes: 'My cars are meant to go, not stop.').

All the same, 300hp and trick 4WD would be nice.
Preventing someone overtaking - runboy
Just to add my take on this, I love those people who tailgate me along a winding country lane, overtake, only then to slow down to the speed I was doing because they can't actually drive any faster. The only drove so close because they used me as their 'guide' and if I drove off a cliff they would follow!

Preventing someone overtaking - Niallster
Sorry late to this thread and this has probably all been gone over but reading the OP it seems to me:

4 cars are travelling at the same speed. This speed is 35 mph dictated by the lead car. The 4th car is leaving a large gap between it and the 3rd car which is probably in his mind being extra safe. I do this as well as I think that most drivers do not leave a sufficient gap.

The OP decides to overtake car 4 because the gap is large enough to do so.

As the OP accelerates to overtake car 1 speeds up and the other 3 in line speed up in response and thus car 4 stops OP overtaking.

It would appear to me that car 4 is entirely in the right. Car 1 was no doubt travelling at 35 mph because of road conditions and when they changed sped up. Cars 2 through 4 were maintaining a distance with 4 leaving a larger distance. When car 3 sped up car 4 did likewise. The OP was in the process of executing a dodgy ill thought out and largely pointless overtaking manoeuvre. Had OP succeeded all that would have been achieved is that OP would have to sit behind car 3. I see no reason why car 4 should have to effectively slow down to accommodate OP.

OK in this circumstance I would have not accelerated and allowed OP to complete the manoeuvre in order to avoid a potential accident but I would have thought 'what a prat'.
Niallster: "I see no reason why car 4 should have to effectively slow down to accommodate OP."

Sorry to be boring, but as quoted above, from the Highway code:

144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Pretty unequivocal "reason why car 4 should have to effectively slow down to accommodate OP". Where does it say that you should judge the other person's driving skills or judge whether the line of traffic is making progress at a sensible speed?

V

Seems to me like more than just the moron who accelerated need to brush up on their highway code here.

Not only is it polite to facilitate the progress of others it also happens to be the rule.
Not only is it polite to facilitate the progress of others it also happens to
be the rule.

As well as being the only safe option.
Niallster,

When i drive from the other side of Glasgow to Fort William......100 miles ish on generally good flowing A roads (although some is a bit twisty around Loch Lomond)...

are you saying for the whole 100 miles, that because there's no dual carriageway, i should remain in convoy at whatever speed someone else decides to drive at?....because some people are enjoying the scenery and bimbling along (good for them), whilst those like me have just done 8 hours and would really like to get there.... and the scenery can wait for another day.

and that if i were to overtake, to drive at the speed i choose, not someone else, then i'm a prat?

because i often overtake in circumstances listed above, to get nearer the head of the queue. Sometimes one car at a time is the only safe option.....just because i don't do the whole lot in one go does that make me a prat?

Personally, i think if you haven't got the vision for more than one and the people in front are showing no signs of wishing to overtake, then this is a perfectly normal and acceptable practice.

Preventing someone overtaking - mike hannon
You aren't being boring, Vin. Some people obviously need this drummed into them...
Preventing someone overtaking - MikeTorque
>>Vin - I have to disagree. How they do it is irrelevant. The Highway code is clear on this, as I quoted above. In fact, I'd argue that the more insane they are, the >>better it is to make their job of overtaking as easy as possible. Get them ahead of you, back off then you're in control of the situation, not them.

I think we are on the same wave length actually, at least a far as the Highway code goes. I'd rather have an idiot in front of me than behind me and always leave plenty of room in front of me should anyone wise to overtake.
I have been driving for years and hundereds of thousands of miles.

People do not like you overtaking them, its an ego thing. Even if they are perfectly content behind the cars infront they dont want anyone overtaking them.

The only way is to assume that all drivers are going to do this and accelerate towards the car in front after dropping a gear or two and then pull out so you spend the least amount of time on the other side of the road but it has to be quick and there has to be enough room infront at the time of starting the overtaking manouver. Just drifting out as you accelerate will be seen.

The current journey to work I have has many overtaking places but people don't know them. I get some annoying person trying to prevent me overtaking about one or twice a month.

Oh ye, and they would rather see you die than let you in. True. Overtaking is dangerious you always need to leave enough room before the next corner or on comming car if you have to break back in to where you came from.

Its also an aquired skill to be able to judge distances and aproaching speeds bt a rule of thum is to assume that you are traveling twive as fast as you are so the corner ahead is only half the distance it seems.

Sorry drifted off the subject.
The sort of lethal driving described in this revived thread is so widespread now that it is very hard work even in a quite capable car to make proper progress on SE two-lane blacktop when there's a lot of traffic.

It isn't always consciously intended even. Just that it takes a hypnotised cud-chewer in a dawdling, tailgating queue what seems like an age to spot the overtaker and the vehicle batting towards him in the other carriageway, back off and allow the overtaker in.

When you're young and gung-ho you come at them from the side, signalling, and force your way back in. The carphounds care more about their silly cosmetic bumpers and so on than they do about your life, or making progress, or not making everyone's life a misery on the roads. But I'm not young any more and I wouldn't do it now unless pressed.

'Driving to the conditions' now involves a fair amount of enforced mimsing, and I mean mimsing, not driving at or even anywhere near the limit. It makes me unhappy but there's damn all to be done about it. The so-and-sos are wall to wall.
Preventing someone overtaking - b308
I'd say that as a percentage of all cars on the road there are no more mimsers than there were 20/30/40 years ago... just that they are more noticable because there are more speed limits, more double white lines, etc. than there was in the 60s and 70s...
As a percentage, b308, perhaps not, but of course overall volumes are much greater, and mimsers are far more obstructive in thick traffic than they are in thin.

I'm not sure you really have it right though. There were always mimsers and slow cars, but the heart seems to have gone out of people somehow. One genuine mimser shouldn't gather a close train of fifteen or more cars. The first car to catch it should either overtake when the opportunity arises, or damn well leave a decent gap and not tailgate. The same applies to all subsequent arrivals in the queue. If people are content to do 40 on a 60 mph A road, why aren't they content to leave a decent safe gap for those who are less patient?

Because they are hardly real people, let alone real drivers, that's why. Neurotic, infantilised, confused, narcissistic adolescents stuffed with inflated pretension and silly resentment, who shouldn't be entrusted with a pram let alone a car. Or so they sometimes seem...
but the heart seems to have gone out of people somehow. One genuine mimser
shouldn't gather a close train of fifteen or more cars. The first car to catch
it should either overtake when the opportunity arises or damn well leave a decent >>gap and not tailgate. The same applies to all subsequent arrivals in the queue. If >>people are content to do 40 on a 60 mph A road why aren't they content
to leave a decent safe gap for those who are less patient?

it's definitely getting worse...in England any way. Scotland seems o.k.....can't speak for Wales. My home county (Devon) shames me, it's fast becoming Mimserville.
Preventing someone overtaking - ifithelps
...t's definitely getting worse...in England any way. Scotland seems o.k.....can't speak for Wales. My home county (Devon) shames me, it's fast becoming Mimserville....

I dunno, all these people driving at a speed of their own choosing and within the speed limit.

Shocking, lock 'em up I say.

They should drive at a speed determined by the mood of whoever is following.

People today just won't do as they are told.

This country's never been the same since the decline of cheap domestic labour between the two world wars.

People have a perfect right to cluster dangerously together on the road for psychic warmth, ifithelps, and unfortunately there are no laws in place to lock them up for it.

But they shouldn't do it; they wouldn't do it if they educated themselves a bit in what they spend such a lot of time doing; and it seems wrong-headed if not perverse of you to encourage the bleating brutes.
I don't see why the faster driver is automatically seen as in the right and the slower driver is in the wrong.

To me, they are equal.

The slower driver cannot reasonably complain if the faster driver hares off over the horizon, but equally, the faster driver cannot reasonably complain of being impeded if he finds himself behind the slower driver.

If only there were just the two of them there would be no problem ifithelps. What is being discussed here is an area where collective or group behaviour assumes a certain importance.

What we have been discussing at length is behaviour in groups or clusters, not just someone going fast and someone else going slow, and whether they are equal or any faff of that sort.

Edited by Lud on 10/09/2009 at 20:30

....behaviour in groups or clusters....

So in a moving queue of a dozen cars are drivers all acting in concert?

Piffle.

A slower car will gather a queue behind if there's enough traffic about, but none are behaving in a group or cluster.

And GB's assumption (post below) that none have the nous or ability to plan an overtake is ignorant and arrogant in equal measure.

There could be any number of reasons why a driver in the queue doesn't want to overtake.

He might be due to turn off, for example, or he might be early, or he might be on a load of points and afraid of exceeding the limit, even for a short while, or his car might be acting up and he's not confident to overtake with it, or etc, etc.

Edited by ifithelps on 10/09/2009 at 21:13

Preventing someone overtaking - gordonbennet
There could be any number of reasons why a driver in the queue doesn't want
to overtake.

And i have no problem with that at all IIH, so long as the driver unable or unwilling or just not bothered to overtake travels at a reasonable distance behind their leader and doesn't try to kill the one who can overtake by blocking them out should they need to overtake in a series of shorter bursts.

This thread is titled along the lines of preventing others from overtaking and those are the ones who should be hounded by every independent minded motorist (fewer by the year in stalin's surveillance state)....the wannabe traffic enforcement...those who wish to dictate their view of what is safe and acceptable to everyone else, and by force if necessary.

Did someone upset you today by the way, the verbal attack seems a little out of character...;)
...Did someone upset you today by the way, the verbal attack seems a little out of character...;)

GB,

On reflection, that post did come out a bit on the tetchy side - no offence intended, of course.

I certainly wouldn't support any driver who seeks to prevent an overtake, or who deliberately obstructs another's progress in any way.

In the circumstances described, I find I am increasingly content to trundle along with all the rest.

If it's just me trundling along, then I will often slow a bit more to allow an overtake, partly because I'm a nice chap, but mostly because I don't want an impatient driver behind me.
in concert?

Piffle.

I've tried to explain it to you ifithelps. But I think it's a bit difficult for you.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure your own driving is impeccable.
I don't see why the faster driver is automatically seen as in the right and
the slower driver is in the wrong.
To me they are equal.

Quite agree...however, how often does the slower driver 'dictate' the speed the faster driver can drive by being ignorant...e.g. hogging the crown of the road, failing to leave a decent gap to the vehicle in front, trying to close a gap intentionally, etc.

How often nowadays do slower drivers actively assist a faster driver to get past, e.g. show a left hand indicator when the road is clear ahead.

There was a thread a while back where someone posted they don't bother putting main beam on at night, because they don't want to drive fast...sums it up really...'i'm alright jack'.
...failing to leave a decent gap to the vehicle in front...

One thing I am quite good at is leaving a decent gap.

As I've remarked before, I haven't got the skill or concentration to tailgate effectively.
It can be fun catching the mimse out, i don't mean the one causing the queue, they are usually doing their bit for their misguided idea of safety by regulating all those behind.

The obstinate mimse i mean...the one following the lead car, often the herd instinct brings several of them together nose to tail, not one of them with the nous or ability to plan and execute an overtake, but all hell bent on preventing anyone else from doing so.

The overtake must be meticulously planned, you must approach them in stealthy manner keeping a fair distance back most definately not getting towards the crown of the road as that will give the game away, extreme cunning is the most satisfying way to beat these monsters.
You should travel nonchalantly taking advantage of left hand bends by checking up the inside of the 'train' for enough of a clear spell.....then when you have the available slot you accelerate hell for leather but don't pull out until needed and go past the lot...the resultant unexpected blitzing if executed properly should cause mayhem in the train, flashing lights, hooters blasted, feeble attempts to speed up to close the already minute gap...all to no avail as you already had planned blitzing the lot anyway....oh the pleasure that brings knowing the seething hatred for yourself as you disappear into the distance..;)

All this is best achieved in a vehicle that arouses no suspicion of course, larger engined (preferably unbadged) models of normally mimse driven cars are best for this imo.
Preventing someone overtaking - Fullchat
GB. That's the ethos of advanced driving. Looking well ahead, assessing all the dangers and going for the extended overtake. By good planning and observations it is possible to execute the perfect overtake in what, to the average mimser, looks like a suicide manouvre. Particularly if you can include what appears to be a zone of invisibility. Extremely satisfying :-)
But (GB and Fullchat) there's sometimes someone among the mimsers who's got up the courage to overtake and comes out in front of you without looking in their mirror as you are blasting past. I hit another car, gently, under those circumstances once while looking at my own tyre smoke in my mirror and running two wheels onto the verge on the other side of the road, keeping my foot in it immediately afterwards because of the car coming over the horizon at me. That was in a Dyane by the way - not an ideal car for blasting past mimsers, although fine if no one baulks you.

There are more and more drivers like that around. Not mimsers exactly, but anxious and not really competent. That's why I hesitate these days to do the slingshot multi-overtake at the right speed (as fast as possible) and hang back on the wrong side of the road just in case. Tiresome, but necessary.
comes out in front of you without looking in their mirror as
you are blasting past.

Thats always a problem, and one should keep their third eye scanning the cars at 10o'clock for a possible.

Respect Lud...not only overtaking a pack with the Dyane, but getting it going quick enough for a tyre smoker.

Long time since i've seen a Dyane or Ami being put through its paces, leaning at perilous angles but sticking like glue to the road, sometimes see a white van man doing similar with a berlingo near here, how the tyres stay on the rims amazes me.;)
overtaking a pack with the Dyane

Thanks gb. It was in the early seventies. Less traffic then, but I doubt if I'd try it now even under identical circumstances in the same place. Of course the thing with 2CV variants, and even the much pokier Skoda Estelles, was maintaining momentum. My tooth-gnashing hatred of mirror-blind mimsing baulkers and the sort of carphounds who get in the way on purpose dates from driving those cars.

A bit after that I did two intensive three-month stints as a south London minicabber. Learnt a lot then about making progress without going too fast. Of course you lose the urban-barracuda lightning opportunism when you don't use it all the time, but you remember the cunning and caution and mistrust of other cars after reading their body language and better-safe-than-sorry malarkey. It makes you a tiny weeny bit slower, but about a hundred times more relaxed and quite a bit safer, although all that is always in the lap of the gods. Better for everyone.
Preventing someone overtaking - Robin Reliant
it's definitely getting worse...in England any way. Scotland seems o.k.....can't speak for Wales.

Down here in rural Pembrokeshire it is not uncommon to come up behind someone varying between 25-30mph on a single carriageway NSL, and that isn't exaggerating either.
Preventing someone overtaking - Zuave
Interesting thread. Interesting for the various points of view.....However, I really do find it amazing the numbers who feel that OP was wrong/"car 4" was correct and/or it is dangerous to overtake more than one vehicle at a time. Really is hard to understand.

I too often drive the road that WestPig mentions and, if one were to "sit in the queue in lemming like assumed security" it would take an age to get to ones destination (Isle of Skye in my case). There are many roads in the Highlands (and Islands) where it is perfectly safe to zip-past a queue. Even the "infamous" Lomond Side offers a number of opportunities! Most motorists, especially PSV and HGV drivers, help those of us who wish to make swifter progress and, in the main, it works.

There are areas where non-locals read the roadsigns incorrectly and all trundle at 40mph when, if they read the signs correctly, the 40mph is for 7.5t+ vehicles. These are roads where passing a number of vehicles in one go is often *required*.

Happy travels one and all.
Z
There's an easy way to get all that overtaking room you want Lud, just double the price of fuel... it was noticably easier driving when it was over 1.20 a litre!
Preventing someone overtaking - martint123
By good planning and observations it is possible to execute the perfect overtake in what, to the average mimser, looks like a suicide manouvre.

I remember doing a BikeSafe half day a couple of years ago with a following cop biker.
At one point the road was perfect for a long view if you were positioned in just the right place and I got past, I think 6 cars and the van they were all shadowing. At the end I wasn't sure what to expect - "1's OK, 2's not bad, 3's good, 4 or more is excellent.
Slightly odd doing it with plod following closely though ;)
Can I add a note of caution to this how many cars people can overtake in one go competition?

Recently I've seen at least two incidents where drivers thought cars in front of them were mimsing only to find out when doing their "slingshot" that the car just behind the leader (or one or two back) was actually turning right and that was why they didn't overtake... its lead to some rather spectacular smoke screens! By all means try these moves if you wish, but be extra aware of the right hand indicators of ALL those cars in front of you!!

TBH if I'm going to do that sort of overtake I tend to switch on my headlights and may even sound my horn (to warn them of my presence) when overtaking...

Edited by b308 on 10/09/2009 at 22:39

Preventing someone overtaking - 2520years
The post from the Highway Code was right. There's nothing wrong with overtaking, in fact it's encouraged. I've done two advanced driving tests and I would have failed if I hadn't (safely) overtaken in the circumstances described. If I'd have driven at 35mph in a 60mph limit I'd have failed too.

The whole point of driving is to get from A to B.

On the other hand, when you overtake you must understand that your head is on the chopping block, and if anything goes wrong it's probably you that will be blamed.
Preventing someone overtaking - Gotanoldhondar

I dont think the OP has done anything wrong here ,unlike the idiot who blocked him,i drive a lot of country roads in my job getting from call to call and sometimes overtaking is a must due
to all the ditherers who simply will not overtake the slowest of vehicles thus holding everyone
else up,i have had this done to me before and it is usually some clown in a 10 year old fiesta
on his way to pick up his weed,pathetic petty jealousy....English disease.
Preventing someone overtaking - old crocks
I have just read the whole of this thread and am definitely in the Leif, Lud, GB, Westpig and Fullchat camp.

My name is Old Crocks and I like overtaking.......but unfortunately I now do most of my driving in the London suburbs and get very few opportunities.

Several months ago, when returning from a weekend at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, I found myself on the A29 behind a horsebox and two cars following but not using any of the all too infrequent overtaking opportunities.

Finally the chance presented itself. Straight downhill road, no turnings. Accelerate in the sensibly sized gap I had left, out and past all three before they knew what had happened. All very satisfying and with only 115 bhp.

Straight downhill road, no turnings. Accelerate in the sensibly sized gap I had left, out and >> past all three before they knew what had happened.

Heh heh oc... I use that road a lot and would be willing to bet that you were about two miles south of Ockley when you did that, just before a long sweeping 100mph right-hand bend with a junction on the left at the beginning of it. Done it myself a few times...
Preventing someone overtaking - old crocks

Yes Lud, I think you are right. It's not a usual route for me so I had little local knowledge to work with but it was oh so satisfying.

I was thinking of you at the time but no PT Cruisers about!

Edited by old crocks on 12/09/2009 at 01:30

switch on my headlights and may even sound my horn (to warn them of my presence) when overtaking...

Yes b308. Sound policy, and I do it myself sometimes.

Of course there's always the chance the Double Take Brothers will poo their trousers or get indignant because they think you have hooted at them and are Toad.

Pathetic ignorant carphounds.
Preventing someone overtaking - Sofa Spud
I once knew a driver who had a penchant for deliberately putting other drivers in the wrong. His favourite trick was if an oncoming car was squeezing past a parked car or something, just over the white line, he'd deliberately move over to the RIGHT so as to miss the oncoming car by a few cm. He was a somewhat bad-tempered man and it was not fun riding in a vehicle with him. He particularly singled out women drivers for this treatment.
Preventing someone overtaking - woodster
Leif - I've read some of this and scanned most of it. From your description I think your overtake is sound and nothing in the highway code suggests you shouldn't do so. Some of my colleagues obviously support this view but haven't mentioned the continual need when pressing on for overlapping or dual planning. If I'm overtaking more than one vehicle I always have the secondary plan to drop back in and look to ensure that option exists by the vehicle spacings - if something changes such that I can't take the lot then I'll take the gap. If that gap doesn't exist in the first place then the whole manoeuvre has a different magnitude in the first place. I'd be looking for absolute certainty and take account of the accelerating driver before I committed, if there wasn't a gap to utilise if needed. I think B roads offer few opportunities for 3/4 car overtakes for exactly the reasons you have described. But I wholeheartedly support the fact that if others want to mimse then feel free to overtake. If they don't like the wake up call and lack the maturity to deal with it - tough, take some lessons or wake up.
Preventing someone overtaking - jbif
Leif - I've read some of this and scanned most of it. From your description I think your overtake is sound ... >>

;-) Woodster - why did it take you over two years to reply to Leif? ;-)

Preventing someone overtaking - drbe
I can't speak for Woodster, of course - but possibly because another newbie has resurrected an old thread.

This practice has made me do a double take more than once.
Preventing someone overtaking - craig-pd130

For me, the principle is that it's the second person that makes the queue, not the first.

Drivers can drive at whatever speed they choose. But actively impeding someone else's overtake (or any manoeuver, for that matter) is dangerous and illegal.

I drive quickly and overtake a lot. But I also watch my mirrors and leave several car lengths in front of me in case someone is going quicker than me. If someone's in a rush, let 'em go.
Preventing someone overtaking - harib
It took me half my lunch break to find this - which is kinda sad... but I do remember seeing someone on here a while ago trying to justify their actions...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?m=797206...e

{chosen a more polite word}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/09/2009 at 14:51

Preventing someone overtaking - Mick Snutz
Another reason for not speeding up to prevent a car from overtaking is that should the overtaker have a crash with an on-coming vehicle, you too are going to end up as a dustpan and brush job because you'll have been too close to stop in time.

The same people who speed up are in the same class of people who try to stop you merging from a slip road on a crawling motorway because they think you're taking 'their' road. Also in the same group are people who constantly change lanes when a motorway is going nowhere fast in a vague attempt to get a few metres ahead of everyone else thereby causing unneccesary braking and frustration of the cars behind.

But that's for another thread I'm sure.
Preventing someone overtaking - Dave_TD
switch on my headlights ... (to warn them of my presence) when overtaking...

Yes b308. Sound policy, and I do it myself sometimes

Seconded, especially on those three- or four-car-wide single carriageways where it's possible to thunder straight down the middle from one roundabout to the next (A507 for the first 8 miles west of the A1(M) springs to mind) overtaking a procession of cars travelling at an indicated 59mph (nearer to a true 54mph) because of the forest of NSL repeater signs with a camera symbol attached.
1 is OK, 2 is good...

In the early 90's I managed a 10-car overtake on the old A16 somewhere out Lincolnshire way - including ducking back in between nos. 8 and 9 to miss a surprise mimser pulling out of a garage on the offside. The cars I was overtaking were well spaced and I didn't have to reduce my speed during that manoeuvre - even though I must have been going at about 40mph more than the stream of overtakees.

1,000-yard overtakes, those were the days...

Dave TD

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 12/09/2009 at 01:00

In the early 90's I managed a 10-car overtake on the old A16 somewhere out
Lincolnshire way -

Only now and again have i witnessed the fluid overtake you describe Dave, usually from the lofty height of the truck.

It gives true pleasure to see the easy expert timing and calm calculation that goes with a safe quick overtake, especially the ones like your memorable feat...the multi car nip in and then out with scarcely a touch on the brakes...performed fast but not too fast that heavy braking is needed to slot in....helps when the brain dead types arn't about that try to prevent you though.

As an aside someone was coming down a Lincs road this week at a limited 53mph (true reading by gps), and about 500 yards ahead of him was one of those fast tractor things, the truck driver involved (ahem) thinking he would have to plan an overtake was mildly amused to find that said tractor pulled steadily away from him and disappeared from view...impressive..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/09/2009 at 09:34

WOW, I never thought that posting a new message in an old forum would produce so many new posts.

I was just so annoyed that I keep getting held up and was looking for clarification of overtaking law on an A road a few cars behind a lorry.

I always felt vaguely like the bad guy but its gratifying to see that I'm not. Quite a boost actually.

I guess I love the overtaking well the open road ahead and actually able to drive at my speed, usually just below the regulation ( lorries always seem to be 10 mph slower).
The best is when there is a super sports car that is stuck trundling along with the rest and then I zip by overtaking in my Aygo :). That soon wakes them up.

Just to complete this thread there are more and more lorry drivers, artics and trucks that sit on the back door of a leading lorry and get 'annoyed' at you over taking. This seems to be getting worse over the last five years on the roads I travel. I have been overtaking for 22 years and have seen an increase in lorry lorry queue on A roads.

Another pointer when over taking is get all the way over to the right and put as much space between you and the ones you are overtaking, but you all already know that.

Again I don't know about the rest of you but there is a constant internal dialog checking all possibilities, dangers, escape routes. So much so that if I'm listening to the radio it goes unheeded and I pick it up again on the road ahead.