Focus 1.8 sport s - Mumstheword
I'm a lurker on here, and have decided to post again to ask your advice. Last year your guidance helped me to get a focus at a great price for a good spec.

So I'm back again. I'm jelping my dad this time, and wondered if you could give your opinion.

We've been looking for a 1.6 LX or higher at about a year or two old (post 05 shape only).

But I've found a dealer with a brand new 1.8 sport s, in black, for £10k.

That sounds like a good deal to me, or is it??

If you arent aware, the spec is alloys, elec windows/mirrors,Front/back fogs, air con (not climate pack), cd colour coded spoiler, 16v, 125bhp. I'm sure all that means more toyou than me!!

The salesman placed the sport between the LX and the ghia. Like the LX but with alloys.

I seem to recall that when I was looking last year, the general opinion was that 1.6 was a better buy than 1.8. Would that be because of running costs (petrol, insurance, tax) or is there another reason too?

Thanks in advance!!

Ruth
Can anyone help me pls? Or have I posted this in the wrong section?

Thanks,
Ruth
Focus 1.8 sport s - 1066
it'll be very quiet until tuesday on here.
if you repost tuesday you'll get a lot of answers
Thanks for your help bigbirdy, I was beginning to wonder!!

Rxx
Focus 1.8 sport s - Pugugly {P}

Ford Focus Sport S 1.8 3dr
Now £12495 Save £1650 against RRP

Seems like a right old bargain at 10k. Above from Ford Direct's website.
Focus 1.8 sport s - Dynamic Dave
if you repost tuesday you'll get a lot of answers

I would be grateful if you repost to this thread, instead of starting a new thread relating to the same question. DD.
Focus 1.8 sport s - Scott H
Not a lot of difference moving from the 1.6 to the 1.8 besides slightly lower fuel economy and a bit more power. Insurance group (6) is the same, tax is one band higher. A new one for £10k seems reasonable.

Scott
Focus 1.8 sport s - 1066
if its brand new with full warranty etc then 10k seems a good price. has all the toys you need so you just need to check out the finance package to make sure its a good rate as theres no point saving a few grand on the list price if the finance is too much
Focus 1.8 sport s - Quinny100
There are 2 1.6 petrol engines in available in the Focus: the older Zetec (although its now probably badged Duratec) 1.6 16v with 100PS and the newer 1.6 Ti-VCT with 115PS. The later has a variable valve timing system with gives it a bit more power and is probably the one to have.

I've driven a couple of 1.6 Mk1 Focus' (I owned a 1.8) and found they were underpowered above 60mph, although they were fine for town traffic. The Mk2 is a fair bit heavier, and the extra torque of the 1.8 will certainly help haul it along. I don't think there will be much difference in fuel consumption or other running costs, and £10k for a brand new one is a bit of a bargain.
Focus 1.8 sport s - MikeTorque
The 1.6s are a bit cheaper to run than the 1.8, with the 1.6 115ps being the most economical petrol engine. If you want better fuel economy then consider the 1.6 TDCi 90ps or 109ps, both have plenty of torque which helps in-gear acceleration.
Thanks for all your replies, I will have a word with dad and show him this info.

No doubt I'll be back shortly with more questions!

Thank you!!

Ruth
Some other questions, if you can help!!

- Dad thinks he has read somewhere to steer clear from the 17" wheels (which the 1.8 sport has). It may even have been on this site as I've printed off lots of info for him. Anyone know any more about that?

- He's also seen a 1.6 (115) ghia, last year's ex demo model for £10,500. So, roughly the same price, which do you see as the better deal? (Let's assume the ex demo has done no more than about 10k miles)

To answer some of your points-

-DDave - yes, I'll bump this thread rather than repost, if needs be

-bb - will be cash, so price not affected by finance

quinny - gd point re power, he's been driving a 2l merc 190 for the last 10yrs, so doesnt want anything too low powered

HJ - is the cam in the 1.8 sport (125) the same as the poor mazda one or the better old belt one?

Sorry for all the questions, and I'm really grateful for all the input so far,

Ruth:)
Focus 1.8 sport s - L'escargot
I seem to recall that when I was looking last year the general opinion was
that 1.6 was a better buy than 1.8.

Any recommendations are bound to depend on personal choice. Having settled on the model I personally would then go for the biggest (petrol) engine I could afford. My next step would be to ask a Ford dealer to find me a low mileage sample that had previously been owned by Ford Motor Co (and had been run by one of their employees) ~ the're sold off by Ford at auctions. Mine had done 4000 miles in 16 months, and it was about £1000 under list for a car of that age.
--
L\'escargot.
Focus 1.8 sport s - Quinny100
17's are fine on the new Focus. Ford's don't seem suffer with a very harsh ride on big wheels in the same way an Audi Sport model would do, or a BMW on run flats.

I thought the Sport model only comes with 16's as standard anyway, thats what the website says too.
Thanks L'escargot, good point.

Quinny - I think the sport is 16" and the sport s is 17"

He's sure he read somewhere to avoid the 17" but cant remember the reason
Focus 1.8 sport s - Mad Maxy
17" wheels = lower profile tyres = wheels more prone to kerbing, especially if your pa is not scrupulously careful when parking (unlike Mrs MM....)
Off this afternoon to have a proper look at this car.

The actual price is £11k, as expected there are extras like £600 for the 4 door version, £350 for metallic paint, £150 tax (would have to pay anyway) and £50 registration fee. That came to £11,150 which I got down to £11, but the salesman is sweating now!

They've also offered £200 for a 91 190e in ok condition but possibility of large repair bill on the horizon.

Thanks for all of your help, it is very much appreciated. I'll prob be logged in for the next hour, in case anyone has any warnings for me!!
Focus 1.8 sport s - 1066
They've also offered £200 for a 91 190e in ok condition but possibility of large repair bill on the horizon.

i was under the impression that these old mercs were fairly wanted as good rust free reliable cars.
i have a 190e 2.0auto and it runs like new. check to see whether selling the merc privately is better than only get 200 for it.

11k is ok for a new focus..
not a super bargain but reasonable
Hi bb, thanks for your reply,

I've checked on Loot and autotrader, and they seem to be asking btwn £450 and £800 for similar. However, that's in good condition.

This is noisy (needs new bearings - about £100 of work), has had a leak which has left the interior in need of a valet (turquoise water....maybe coolant from a radiator problem) and has recently developed an overheating issue which seems ok at the moment, but then rears it's head again. The last point is the one estimated to be a major repair.

In a private sale, dad wouldnt feel right to sell without being honest, so would disclose what he needs doing....so maybe part ex, which will just be put in an auction and sold off cheap, is the easiest way to go, especially as we prob wouldnt get mucj more for it privately....or do you think we would??

Of the £11k. £150 is road tax, and £600 is for an extra 2 doors (the base price is for 2 door). I have quibbled quite a bit and object to paying for metallic paint especially. I've tried with other dealers, but cant get near this price. Even the LX models are dearer.

I accept and thank you for your points, I'm not argueing against them, just explaining my reasoning to see if you think I could get a better deal.

What we are after is a reasonable focus at the best price we can, the second hand ones he's seen are marginally cheaper, but are a year or two older.
Focus 1.8 sport s - 1066
at 11k i would be tempted if i needed a new car. have too many at the moment but i am loathed to sell any as the 2 new ones are behaving and the 2 older ones are being borrwed from me by other family and they are in excellent condition, a 190e and a v6 gtv.

sounds like a good deal and if your old merc is on its last legs then let the dealer take it and be rid of it.

good luck