Saxo VTR trade in value. - Tony Williams
Ive got an October 1st 2001 Citroen Saxo VTR, Topaz Gold metallic (chosen because it wasnt one of the endless Silver or Bright Blue ones that are about), 7127 miles (so far), decent Cobra alarm, mats & mudflaps, towbar (for bike rack), fancy alloy petrol cap, paintwork Supagarded.

Cos my left knee is getting dodgier by the day i've been looking at the new C3 auto, or a Corsa Easytronic. Buying either at list price, the best offer ive had for my car is £6600. This is a car that cost £9500 new, after the cashback etc. The lowest offer ive had is £6000. Yet all the Citroen dealers are selling the same type of car, similar mileage, for £7995 - £8495. I would have thought that the £7995 was realistic, and would have therefore hoped for £7000 in PX for mine. None of these dealers want to discount their new cars, so in effect they want to make £1000 on my PX when they sell it, plus a similar amount on the new car.

In my next life I want to be a main dealer!

Tony
Re: Saxo VTR trade in value. - Tony Williams
By the way, these are the Glass guide values for a 2001Y, and ive read that the new 51 plate makes cars worth around £250 more!

Citroen Saxo VTR
1.6 3-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2001 Y
Mileage: 7,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition £6780 (My car IS genuinely in Excellent condition)
Average condition £6490
Below average condition £6310
Re: Saxo VTR trade in value. - Miller
Tony, in my experience there is no such thing as a 'good deal' when buying a car from a main dealer.

(Prepares to be shot down in flames by all those claiming otherwise!) ;-)
Re: Saxo VTR trade in value. - Moosh
"in effect they want to make £1000 on my PX when they sell it,"

They are considering the eventuality that if they don't retail it quickly or they have too many of the same model in stock, they can knock it out cheaper to trade/auction.
Re: Saxo VTR trade in value. - Keith
Why not try to sell privately?

Shame you need to sell so early, but their offers sound fairly close to book value.

I've always liked the What-Car price guide the best. Dunno what their website says, maybe worth a look.
Re: Saxo VTR trade in value. - Dave
Christ, I never thought I'd stand up for delaers but c'mon! They've got to offer a gaurentee, pay premises rates, carpets in the showroom, advertising, salesman's salary.

Making a grand or two on each car isn't unreasonable.
Re: Saxo VTR trade in value. - smokie
Car dealers have a bad name, with some justification, and some people resent paying so much over private prices just for a plush showroom, carpet and pushy salesman. Their guarantees often are too specific to be of much value. In smaller (well, even in some larger) dealers there is a chance that the car has been clocked, or had some "trick of the trade" applied to disguise a fault.

Having said that, there are many ppl who feel "safer" buying from a dealer as you have at least some comeback, and there are those who recognise that they are insufficiently technically aware (or simply can't be ar$ed) to trawl through newspapers and put in the effort that buying privately involves.

IMHO the only good thing about buying from a dealer is that the car has been prepped - nice and shiny, no sweet papers etc.

So, horses for course I suppose.