Ford Focus '51' wont hold at 2500 rpm - Jon B
hi all,

i have just had my 51 plate Ford Focus MOT'd yesterday and it failed.

the reason for it failing was that the Technition could not get the revs to hold at 2500 rpm in order to perform the emissions test. ive since tried to do it and i cant either. it will flow nicely up to about 2100 rpm but when you try to give it a little more gas it shoots up to 3000 rpm.

over all it drives fine, starts fine every time and this is the first main problem that i have had with the focus.

ive been told it could be a tight spot in the air flap?? and also a possible air leak??

anyone with any ideas??

many thanks, jon B
Ford Focus '51' wont hold at 2500 rpm - Screwloose
Jon

Rather a lot of different engines in a 51-plate Focus....

However; this is not an isolated issue; a lot of fly-by-wire VAG cars also won't hold a steady fast-idle. They're tested at whatever revs they can manage above 3000. [4500 on one Seat...]

Your tester was wrong to fail it and you should go back and insist he reads the VOSA notes on the affected cars. If he's unaware of them, get him to ring VOSA for advice; [he should have done that anyway.]
sorry, school boy error!

its a 1.6 zetec petrol engine.

thanks for your info. ill have a word with the garage
just had a call from the garage:

they have eplained that the reasons for the problems are due to a worn belt and tensioner, and also throttle sensor was not working.

£300 later my car works again.

Ford Focus '51' wont hold at 2500 rpm - Screwloose
Jon

"A worn belt and tensioner?" I'll never say never on any car; but it'll take quite a stretch of the imagination to see the causality between that and an idle issue?

If a throttle sensor[??] was faulty; I would have expected other indications to show up first.

Still; glad to hear it's sorted - at quite a cost.