1999 Peugeot 306 XS brake lights out - ianwoolcock
After swapping the brake servo on the weekend I discovered that my brake lights are now not functioning. Does anyone know where the sensor is on this car. I hope to be able to reconnect it before driving it home.

I have a haynes at home but hope to reconnect before driving home with no brake lights.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Ian
1999 Peugot 306 XS brake lights out - L'escargot
This tinyurl.com/34ta4g implies it's a mechanical switch. Look in the area of the brake pedal.
--
L\'escargot.
1999 Peugot 306 XS brake lights out - ianwoolcock
I have located a switch which appears to be pressed continually when the brake is off. This is now not touching. I dont really understand why the brake lights are now not on continually.

Any ideas.
1999 Peugot 306 XS brake lights out - Screwloose
Ian

It is a mechanical switch; it's also a right pig to even see - let alone access. Blood, sweat and even tears are likely whwn changing it.

In any workshop, everybody immediately finds something more urgent to do if one of those comes in....

Is the brake pedal returning to it's correct level? Have you checked the fuse?
1999 Peugot 306 XS brake lights out - ianwoolcock
Hi Screwloose,

There is about a one mm gap between the white tip of the switch and the part of the pedal that hits it. I suspect the pedal might have been lifted to far during the servo swap and pushed the switch back. What I cant understand is why this has not resulted in it being on all the time rather than off. I will check the fuse.

Thanks
1999 Peugot 306 XS brake lights out - Screwloose
Ian

If you can get the plug off... Bridging the terminals should bring the lamps on. The switch may have got damaged if pushed back too far.

I can't recall the exact switch mounting details [I'm far too dear to get lumbered with fitting one of those] but I don't think that one is the "ratchet pin" [auto-adjusting] type switch that's so favoured these days. Still; it might be worth pulling the plunger out a bit, just to see.
1999 Peugot 306 XS brake lights out - Focus 1.6 Zetec S
Hey, the switch is not your everyday pressure switch. When the pedal is depressed, the switch goes to earth, completing the circuit and lighting the brake lights. Is it accessible to get to it with a multimeter? Try probing the rear of the switch with Ign on. Should read 12 V when depressed. lol, i think!