Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - thomp1983
good evening, i would be grateful for your opinions on the following. sold my audi a4 tdi on ebay around 5 weeks ago. all was fine buyers said they'd pay in cash, turned up on day said they couldn't get the £2300 out in one go at the bank so have made a paypal payment to me. i wasn't happy about this but accepted it and the car was sold. only thing to note was the drivers door trim on the outside was loose as someone had tried to pull it of the night before i guess in an attempt to steal it, they saw this and accepted it anyway.

5 weeks later they left negative feedback saying the headgasket went 2 weeks after buying it, and today they have filed for a refund wth paypal saying the following faults are present,

failed headgasket due to leaking waterpipe that has been repaired with silicone
2 out of 4 glow plugs didn't work
air mass meter failed
door trim hanging off
front bumper held with silicone
spare tyre missing.

the car has full service history and i never had a days trouble with it, the only fault i was aware of was the door trim. there was defiantely no failed air mass meter as i ran vagcom for fault codes the day before sale to make sure there weren't any problems.

in this situation what would you advise? i feel bad about it but as far as i can see it is bad luck, they looked at the car and test drove it before signing the v5 but now they have made this complaint and paypal have removed the funds from my account pending inquiry.

cheers
chris
also, the car was mot'd the week before sale without any problems except an advisory on a tyre which was replaced no mention of any of the above defects

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - pd
The first comment I would make is never, ever accept Paypal for cars. You are not covered by the paypal protection scheme and anyone can reverse the transaction. Having said that, usually when there is a dispute about a car, Paypal come down on the sellers side but it can take sometime.

Are you sure these problems are genuine? From a legal standpoint they haven't got a hope in hell as it is a sold as seen private sale. Even were it a trade sale the fact they didn't advise of the problems immediately means they'd lose most of their rights.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - pd
The more I look at it, the more I think it might just be a scam to get the car for free. It is a well known thing with Paypal and cars which is why, and I'll repeat this, NEVER ACCEPT PAYPAL FOR CARS!.

i only accepted paypal as i was a bit backed into a corner on a saturday morning as they didn't have the cash, i felt bad about the door strip and i needed the money normally i wouldn't have.

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Aprilia
I accept PayPal for a deposit (£200) but not for the balance - cash only.

Having said that, I think it is very very unlikely that you will lose out. If they are saying that the headgasket failed 2 weeks after getting the car then, by definition, the HG was OK at the time of sale and afterwards. The bit about the bumper etc is unlikely to sway the argument with a car of this value. I would just keep your head down for the next month or so. Just respond to PP by saying it was a private sale, by the purchasers own admission there was no significant mechanical fault at the time of sale and that the purchaser had full opportunity to inspect the car prior to payment.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Sunny22
Agree with Aprilla, he seems to know what he is on about. Dont give into what they say though, make sure you keep replying to whatever paypal say. I think this is what they intended to do all along, they shouldnt have bid on the car if they didnt have the reddies! Anyways, good luck and keep us posted...
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - mark
Sorry to hear of your difficulties with the transaction.

There is a time limit in which an unhappy buyer can file a dispute with Paypal, I can't remember if its 30 or 45 days.

If Paypal find against you the first thing you will notice is the money missing from the account/source which you used to "back" the Paypal account, (normally a credit card or current account).

There is a website for unhappy Paypal users called Paypalsucks.com you might find some useful information on resisting a re-claim there.

As always

Mark
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - zm
in this situation what would you advise? i feel bad about it but as far
as i can see it is bad luck they looked at the car and test
drove it before signing the v5 but now they have made this complaint and paypal
have removed the funds from my account pending inquiry.
cheers
chris

Hi Chris,

PayPal have removed the money from your account 'pending enquiry'? So what would they do if in their judgement they decided against you; ask the 'nice' person that bought the car to bring it back? I can't beleave PP/Ebay can be that naive. It beggars belief that they can remove what must obviously be a large sum of money from your account (it is my understanding that if one does not have the money in the PP account, then it will be debited via the debit card that you will have registered from your bank account; what if you need the money for say your mortgage payment?)

I really do feel for you, these people you sold the car to are CLEARLY trying it on and I wish to god that Ebay/PP would wake up and join the real world!

Just out of interest, was the buyer of your car from one of our inner cities? Many will wonder what on earth I am getting at, but as someone who sells used cars for a living, I know what I and others have experienced over the few years!

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.
no they were from somewhere in somerset so not really an inner city but i know exactly what your saying.

as i understand my paypal account shows -£2300 which will then be taken from my bank if i lose . id imagine i have a pretty water tight case, after a test drive, time to look round they accepted the car as it was presented and signed the v5 happily then i accepted the payment from paypal once all parties were happy, i have witnesses to this in my parents.

they have then said they've had the car inspected since and found these faults. the car drove absolutely fine and id hope even the most basic noddy would notice starting problems or the car being underpowered if the amm was broke

chris
At the end of the day its a private sale and they signed the V5. So long as you are not a trader (i.e. have not been selling multiple cars on Ebay or elsewhere) then you are safe. PayPal seem to take the money and then ask questions. The normal process is that you have 28 days to respond to the purchaser allegation. If there is no resolution (i.e. neither of you backs down) then the purchaser can 'escalate' the dispute and PayPal mediators will get involved. I would be astonished if they didn't find in your favour.
I don't like PayPal though - they are part of Ebay and typically arrogant US approach to customers.
im not a trader, but as a side question surely even a trader is allowed to sell his own private family vehicle privately without any effects of his occupation?

also can i just check im right in that glowplgs are not generally considered service items and are just changed when they fail?(ive always done them with services but not on the audi as there was never a starting problem)

chris
im not a trader but as a side question surely even a trader is allowed
to sell his own private family vehicle privately without any effects of his occupation?

Yes, but demonstrating this to TS could be tricky. You would need to have owned the car for a reasonable length of time and have documents to prove etc. Also make it clear that it is a private sale.
Its not unknown for traders to sell a car, pretending it is 'wife's car' etc and trying to dodge responsibilities, tax etc etc etc...!!
can someone please confirm that a faulty air mass meter would cause a noticeable loss of power or the car to enter limp home mode?

chris
can someone please confirm that a faulty air mass meter would cause a noticeable loss
of power or the car to enter limp home mode?
chris

Yes it would, and it is quite common on the TDi, but is NOT your problem!
Well you have the full weight of the law on your side fortunately, but is'nt it funny how these people always get the car inspected AFTER they have purchased it. I am fairly confident that the car will not have the problems they are saying it has, it is a classic try on.

What the hell do ebay think they are playing at, taking that sort of money out of anyones account, whether private or trade. In the UK, we have clear legal procedures to deal with such matters which Ebay appears to be ignoring or not have a clue about. We all know the procedures for dealing with such matters if sold by a trader, and it does NOT involve taking money from an account at the first hint of a complaint. As you are clearly not a trader, the case is closed in my book so ebay should not be taking it any further than to say to the purchaser 'private sale, sorry and end of' to put it bluntly, unless of course you were selling a car that was stolen perhaps.

I think this really does vindicate those who have said they will not take full payment for a car by PayPal. Ebay really does need to get some clued up management in and pronto imo.
I think this really does vindicate those who have said they will not take full
payment for a car by PayPal. Ebay really does need to get some clued up
management in and pronto imo.

Ebay has very clued-up management. They are making a lot of money - look at their fees, look at PayPal fees!

PayPal UK are IIRC registered in Luxembourg, not UK. Also my Ebay invoices seem to originate in Switzerland.
PayPal UK are IIRC registered in Luxembourg not UK. Also my Ebay invoices seem to
originate in Switzerland.

Yes but they still have to be aware of the law in whatever country they are operating - the uk in this instance - and work within that prticular countries legal framework. Do we go to Luxembourg and drive according to UK traffic laws, beacuse that is where we are legal citizens? No of course not, and I don't beleave corporate law is any different.
Yes but they still have to be aware of the law in whatever country they
are operating -

Corporate law is very definitely different. It puts the company out of reach of UK regulators. Look at the online gambling business for example..
could you tell me exactly what symptons a failed mass meter would show? i tink it would be a lack of go and struggle to accelerate almost as per a failed turbo

chris
Yes, lethargic performance. They are a pretty cheap item. Tell the new owner to look on Ebay or try GSF or ECP for one. Dead easy to fit ('plug and play!').
sorry should point out i know the results of amm failure but need it in print from another source so i can refer to it as opposed to going look mate i know this is how it is now sod off, got to appear reasonable when having your pants pulled down apparently

chris
sorry should point out i know the results of amm failure but need it in
print from another source so i can refer to it as opposed to going look
mate i know this is how it is now sod off got to appear reasonable
when having your pants pulled down apparently
chris

>>

Would'nt bother trying to be reasonable, they certainly are not being with you.
Yes lethargic performance. They are a pretty cheap item. Tell the new owner to look
on Ebay or try GSF or ECP for one. Dead easy to fit ('plug and
play!').

Aprilia,

If I were Chris, I would'nt tell the new owner anything or try to be helpfull towards them, as he will only get blamed when things don't work. He should just communicate via paypal mediators and get his solicitors involved if (unlikely) PP upholds the purchasers complaints.

Chris does not owe this guy a penny, and I would advise him not to soften his resolve towards him, by appearing to try and be helpfull.

Sadly this is the kind of society we are now living in, but what else can we do?
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - james86
Can I suggest you go to your bank and cancel the direct debit that PayPal have on your account, so they can't get any more carried away and deduct the balance from your bank account. If you have (as you presumably do) a debit/credit card registered with PayPal you may wish to de-link this as well.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - LHM
From what you describe I'd say it was likely you'll win your case.

Whilst not wanting to worry you, there's still the fact that 'they know where you live' - and the fact that they're taking this action speaks volumes for their morals.

strange as the world is, if they'd actually rang me and spoke to me instead of sloping off to paypal i may have made a contribution to the repairs out of goodwill but that bridge is now well burnt

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Jonathan {p}
I'm not sure about the paypal rules, but in the interim period I would dissassociate my accounts from paypal for now so they are unable to retrieve the funds should they find in the buyers favour (however unlikely). If it is a credit card account, then you could also make a pre emptive complaint to them that paypal may try to take money without your permission and they should refuse payment.

I had a problem on ebay a few years ago relating to a £400 purchase of a camcorder which never materialised, paypal dithered, found in my favour, but didn't give me my money back, I contacted my credit card co, who refunded me in full as I had used the credit card to pay for the item (indirectly), that's one reason why I still keep a bank account and credit card with Smile.

Good Luck

Jonathan
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - TurboD
just as I thought Paypal are not to be trusted with your sale proceeds. It is like a one- sided guarantee - but provided free. If the buyer wants such comfort get a car from a main dealer- and pay the premium.

never trust anyone , test the banknotes too with the right equipment before letting go of the asset.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - flunky
From what you describe I'd say it was likely you'll win your case.

Don't be so sure. Paypal fraud for cars is massive.

I had a guy try to scam me out of my £200 banger. Insisted on paying paypal, and when I offered him money off for cash, he agreed but then never showed up.

I was advised, *never ever ever ever ever* accept paypal for cars. I was told to treat the money as gone if the buyer pays by paypal.

I heard one case the seller sold the car with photographs of him giving the buyer the car, and paypal still gave the money back to the buyer. The *only* thing that counts is online proof of delivery. This is not possible for cars, hence paypal = lose your money + lose your car.

My advice, cancel any paypal direct debits, and if you've got a credit card linked to your paypal account - CANCEL IT.

Paypal *will* grab your money from any available source they can.

Even then, be fully prepared to have threatening letters and debt collection agencies from paypal.

HOWEVER they are not credit accounts, so you should ignore them, unless they take you to court.
Some sound advice there.
I know a lad who sold £500 of musical equipment via Ebay/PayPal - the buyer later said it was 'not as described' and 'parts missing' and PayPal clawed back the whole £500. There's quite a band of unhappy customers out there. I use it often, for mainly small amounts, and I always do so knowing that I could potentially lose out.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - R40
My advice cancel any paypal direct debits and if you've got a credit card linked
to your paypal account - CANCEL IT.
Paypal *will* grab your money from any available source they can.
Even then be fully prepared to have threatening letters and debt collection agencies from paypal.
HOWEVER they are not credit accounts so you should ignore them unless they take you
to court.

Top class advice - ebay and PayPal can not be relied upon here- the evidence of PayPal acting against sellers first and thinking later is widespread. Protect your money.

I have used ebay a lot but am now doing so less and less - the management may currently be making plenty of £ but imo they are rapidly losing the plot on fraud, scams and their charging structure.

Good luck
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Mad Maxy
Scam/trying it on.

OP: consider getting a lawyer involved? Really hope a good result in the end.
OP: consider getting a lawyer involved? Really hope a good result in the end.

Lawyers are to be avoided. Amount involved is inside the small claims limit, and any legal costs will never be recoverable.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Bill Payer
>> OP: consider getting a lawyer involved? Really hope a good result in the end.
Lawyers are to be avoided. Amount involved is inside the small claims limit and any
legal costs will never be recoverable.

...and can you imagine the legal fees that would be involved in dealing with eBay / PayPal!

I'm doubtful that many legal people would even take them on.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - whoopwhoop
As stated above - RING YOUR BANK IMMEDIATELY AND REPORT YOUR BANK CARD AS LOST. This will block any attempt by PayPal to take the funds from your account.
...and can you imagine the legal fees that would be involved in dealing with eBay
/ PayPal!
I'm doubtful that many legal people would even take them on.

Eh?

What do you mean?

THere are no legal fees involved.

At the most, he would owe them the £2k the car cost. If paypal wants to get fancy lawyers involved, that is their own business, and their own cost. But those legal costs are simply not recoverable from the other side,because the case would be allocated to the small claims track (below £5k).

You do not have to pay legal fees simply because your opponent chooses to waste money on lawyers for a simple matter of a couple of thousand poun ds.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Fullchat
Presumably you have the address of the purchaser' I see two options.

1. Write to them and ask for a detailed estimate and photographs to substantiate their claims from a reputable garage within a period of time. If they fail to do so then the facts will be reported to Paypal to corroborate a possible scam.

2. Do a bit of sleuthing and go and see if you can find the car being used or establish a false address

£2300 is worth fighting for. And everyone else concerned has got the upper hand.
--
Fullchat
You do not have to pay legal fees simply because your opponent chooses to waste
money on lawyers for a simple matter of a couple of thousand poun ds.

eBay would see you thrown out on the streets rather than lose a case like this.

However I was mainly referring to the OP's own fees in engaging solicitor to take on eBay in the first place.
However I was mainly referring to the OP's own fees in engaging solicitor to take
on eBay in the first place.

Again, there is no reason to engage a solicitor to take on eBay.

It is a small claim, and legal representation is actively discouraged. There is no need, nor reason, to engage a solicitor to take someone to court for amounts under £5k.
Again there is no reason to engage a solicitor to take on eBay.

If you look back through our posts, I agreed with you that lawyers should be avoided! Someone else suggested engaging one.

The reason I agree is because (in my view) taking legal action against eBay is a non-starter. I really don't think taking eBay to the small claims court would be a trivial process - unless they settled out of court, which is what you also hope for in SCC cases.

Ebay contend that they facilitate transactions and that any dispute is between the buyer and seller. Establishing that eBay was liable would have such immense repercussions for their business that they would fight every inch of the way.
Chris - did you get the buyer to sign a receipt to the effect that the car was being sold 'as seen and inspected - with all faults'? Just filling out the V5C is not enough, really.

As things stand, PayPal still have the buyer's funds and have removed the money from your PayPal account, so they'll be in no rush to resolve this issue. I assume that you mean your PayPal account when you state "paypal have removed the funds from my account pending inquiry", so the credit/debit card company won't want to know either - because they haven't actually been involved with the transaction.

If you cancel the funding route of your PayPal account, there may be problems re-establishing a means of withdrawing the funds if (hopefully, when) your account is re-credited. I guess you could just make purchases using PayPal, though you might not wish to do this!

Would you be willing to take the car back and allow PayPal to refund the buyer? Galling I know, but it might be the quickest/least costly route.

I'm really sorry to hear of your plight. I've used Ebay/PayPal extensively over the past few years without problem, but your situation has caused me to re-think whether I should continue to use them - particularly for larger-value transactions.

All the best.
paypal have just removed the money from the paypal account not my bank account, they have also withheld another £400 relating to other transactions for some reason.

the seller as now responded stating that the car was clearly not in good condition as my ad said as these problems have appeared, so ive decided my route is likely to be they didn't find any faults during inspection and test drive and im no more qualified in cars than they are so how should i find a problem with the car that they didn't and have only found when the car has been taken to a 'professional'. and trading standards website quite clearly show im in the right so really it's just a case of whether paypal actually follow the law and dismiss there case which is for 'items not as described' or they issue the money and i then have to take them to small claims court to force them to follow the law

and no i didn't sort out a signed reciept, another daft mistake but again i have 2 witnesses to them being satisfied with the car.

and another point, one of their complaints is apparently the fixings for the headlights have been snapped and replaced with screws, how would i know this there behind the front bumper when the car is assembled

chris
Chris - unfortunately your case has shown that although we'd all like to treat people as honest until proven otherwise, experience compels us to do the converse :-(
paypal have just removed the money from the paypal account not my bank account they
have also withheld another £400 relating to other transactions for some reason.

Chris,

Can you just clarify that they have now taken the money from your account today?

Whatever you do, do not give in as you are definately in the right here.
Chris - did you get the buyer to sign a receipt to the effect that
the car was being sold 'as seen and inspected - with all faults'? Just filling
out the V5C is not enough really.

LHM,

I must remind you, this was a PRIVATE SALE, therfore it is taken as given in UK law, that the car was sold as seen. Ebay/PayPal are showing total ignorance of UK consumer law by doing this, so the OP will - quite rightly - win this. If not he should definately involve solicitors. What ebay/paypal are doing is sheer lunacy and nothing else. Why on earth do they want to get involved in such disputes anyway?

I know why, it is to make themselves appear to be a 'safe place to trade' or something like that. In reality they are being completely naive in getting involved in such disputes, which should be sorted out between buyer/seller and the legal system and no one else.

Perhaps the OP should also bring this to the attention of his MP, who you never know might be helpfull.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Pugugly {P}
Kept out of this but I would suggest your local CAB as a first stop, some of them provide a meeting with a solicitor as a freebie, certainly they will give you free and impartial legal advice

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Simon
Out of interest has this buyer got a good feedback rating? Have they got a history of purchasing cars off ebay? They might try this trick quite often...
to clarify, they have taken about £2800 from my paypal account, not my personal bank account(card cancelled today) that was taken 2 days ago, of which roughly £500 is related to other paypal transactions not the disputed one but they have withheld that aswell without explanation

chris
to clarify they have taken about £2800 from my paypal account not my personal bank
account(card cancelled today) that was taken 2 days ago of which roughly £500 is related
to other paypal transactions not the disputed one but they have withheld that aswell without
explanation
chris

OK, but whatever you do, DON'T give in; you are totally in the right here. Do keep us posted.
to clarify they have taken about £2800 from my paypal account not my personal bank
account(card cancelled today) that was taken 2 days ago of which roughly £500 is related
to other paypal transactions not the disputed one but they have withheld that aswell without
explanation

in other words, they are behaving wholly unreasonably.

Btw, another piece of advice: they will also attempt to take the money from any linked ebay accounts (I know this from experience). So if you have a d/d or card linked to any ebay or paypal account, even if it's not the same email address, they will just take the money from any source they can without any prior warning. So be sure to cancel d/d or card linked to ebay account as well.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - perleman
From memory, you can't change account information while there is an 'open issue' on your account. If you have already transferred the money from your Paypal account to your bank, you should now stop your cards and cancel the direct debit immediatly. If the money was in your paypal account and you haven't withdrawn it, that money is now 'embargoed' and you can't touch it / spend it as others have suggested. What I can say, is that in my experience with these sorts of problems, Paypal HAS been fair - i.e. if a buyer claimed not to have recieved an item but I had proof of postage, they came down on my side. I suspect that Paypal are aware of the UK consumer law regarding car purchase and are just going through the motions.

If Paypal enforce the refund you have the right to get the car back anyway - with some inconvienience etc. so worst case scenario you won't be out of pocket in my opinion.

Please post updates to your siuation as it helps others get a feel for how Ebay / Paypal deal with this type of issue... and we can offer advice support too! GOod luck.
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Martin Devon
in this situation what would you advise? i feel bad about it but as far
as i can see it is bad luck they looked at the car and test
drove it before signing the v5 but now they have made this complaint and paypal
have removed the funds from my account pending inquiry.
cheers
chris

Apprently it is a scam and a mate of mine has been caught. Pay by paypal but accept only a bankers draft or cash or a Postal order only I have been told. Don't know how much Postal orders can go up to in ££ terms though.

VBR...MD
problem is if it is a scam i can't see how it works, if paypal issue a refund i get the car back, paypal have a confirmed address for them so it's not like they can not give me the car back, unless i have to pay for the repairs they've already paid for which again i wouldn't do without confirming there was a bill and the garage existed so i can't see how they make money and get the car. unless paypal just refund the cost of repairs in which case they'd be better off, as id sue paypal for the cash aswell so they'd have collected the cash and id have got if from court so paypal would be out of pocket. but would paypal be so stupid as to hand over money without any proof of there even being a bill for the work?

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - The Gingerous One
they could get a refund from PayPal and keep the car which probably has nothing wrong with it anyway......
but that would be a clear case of theft which the police would be forced to investigate so there not likely to get away with it

chris
but that would be a clear case of theft which the police would be forced
to investigate so there not likely to get away with it

Pound to a penny they'll say it's a civil dispute.
Pound to a penny they'll say it's a civil dispute.

Correct.
Has anyone ever tried contacting the police for anything? They couldn't care less.
ive found our local police in swindon to be ok when called upon, but maybe thats as i make it quite clear i will be a pain until something is done.

anyway after more to'ing and fro'ing they have now stated that i have accepted the car was not as described as my reply said that the faults could have been present at time of sale but i was not aware of them. the other strange thing is they claim the total bill was £937 yet they've offered to settle for £400 and remove negative feedback from ebay. paypal are now reviewing the case and im not too worried about it at the minute as until they decide i can't do anything either way.

the thing that puzzles me at the minute is they say they can provide proof that the water pipes were bodged before sale, aswell as the 2 faulty glow plugs and cross threading of one were all done before sale. now how could a garage prove that any of those things were done before the date of sale and not in the 2 and a half weeks until they say the headgasket went which is when the car went into the garage. the pipe may have been bodged when i had it, i never had need to look as i never had a problem with it or they could have bodged it themselves if a leak had developed since they bought it either way i don't beleive a garage could give a date roughly or otherwise of when a bad repair has been made. and the other issue is the glow plugs, with 2 plugs out there would be noticeable starting issues yet the car always started first turn of the key

chris
anyway after more to'ing and fro'ing they have now stated that i have accepted the
car was not as described as my reply said that the faults could have been
present at time of sale but i was not aware of them. the other strange
thing is they claim the total bill was £937 yet they've offered to settle for
£400 and remove negative feedback from ebay. paypal are now reviewing the case and im
not too worried about it at the minute as until they decide i can't do
anything either way.

Chris,
I'm worried that you sound like you are considering giving in and paying them the £400! Don't! Remember you do NOT owe them a penny. You would win this case if it ever went to court.
From the above statement, it is obvious to me that these people are classic shysters who are trying it on in the hope of cadging a few hundred quid. They are total pond life who do not deserve the air that they breathe. In my experience you just have to remain totally firm with them and they will crawl back under their stone.
don't worry no intention of giving in, i just can't be bothered with the whole to'ing and fro'ing and having to justify myself to paypal who this has nothing to do with, just a case of frustration

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - David Horn
I would reiterate the advice given by others above - you need to get your bank accounts separated from PayPal immediately. I have a friend who lost out in this way - he sold something by PayPal which was paid for with a cloned card. PayPal debited his account and he lost what he'd sold.

I don't know whether you can instruct your bank to refuse their attempt to debit your account, but as a minimum you should cancel your debit card. IMHO PayPal are an extremely unpleasant company.
bank account card was cancelled about 5 days ago now so noone can get money out o it be it via either my paypal or ebay accounts and the bank are aware not to make payments to either company

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - smokie
Bit late to this, sorry to here this tale. I had a disputed transaction (only for £180) which I put into the hands of the Financial Ombudsman who were completely useless as well. IIRC PayPal could clean out the PayPal account, but as it was empty anyway it went into debit by £180. They made no attempt to take it from my bank. I finally gave in and paid when I got a notification that debt collectors were coming round. I just don't want black marks on my credit record. I still use PayPal when I have to, but now with wide open eyes...
At what point can your credit rating have a black mark put on it? Can it be done by an institution on a whim?
Sometimes you can have a disagreement or there is some sort of administrative (pink fluffy dice) and you immediatly get a bullying threat of having a mark against your credit rating.
I once had a book and music mailing company issuing allsorts of alledged solicitors letters and threats over about £12 when I had paid them. Unfortunately I had paid over the tinternet and entered the wrong customer ref no. So they had the cash in a holding account somewhere. I wrote several letters explaining the situation and even enclosed a suitablely amended copy of of a bank statement but to no avail. It went on for ages.
In the end they were going to send the heavy mob round. I welcomed the suggestion so that I could show a human being evidence that the money had been paid.
"Why didn't you say so," was the reply! End of the matter.

--
Fullchat
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Pugugly {P}
Were they going to throw the book at you ?
I like a fight! It would have been quicker to pay the £12, again, and forget about it. But its a matter of principle. It just seems that the threat of ruining your credit rating, sending the heavy mob round is designed to make you pay up even if the fault lies at their door.
What did become apparant was that once your name is feed into the machine it takes over and automatically dishes out letters threats etc.
--
Fullchat
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - Niallster
'I don't know whether you can instruct your bank to refuse their attempt to debit your account'

Yes you can. All that has happened is that you have agreed to a direct debit instruction which you can cancel at any time.

If you have internet banking you should have a list of direct debits in place and be able to cancel them with a mouse click.

Certainly true of a Nationwide Flex account which I would whole heartedly recommend by the way.
well finally paypal have found in my favour over the matter, must say it's took them long enough but the result was just in the end

chris
Sale of audi a4 on ebay - problems - henry k
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Value my car