VIRUS WARNING - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Look out for an email containing attachments call Error0016. Doesnt seem to do any damage but gets into your email list. It hit mine this morning nd judging by the number of returned emails I have had as undelivered the anti-virus thingys seem to be working. I must upgrade mine now!.
Apologies for any inconvenience.
Andrew.
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Alwyn
Andrew,

I understand that if you place a bogus e-mail address in your address book, then no mass mailings can occur from your list to your chums.

It won't save you but may save them.

I have put AAA.AAAA in mine and when I tried to send a test mail, Outlook Express stopped it as one of the addresses was invalid.

Have you heard of this before?

Cheers
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Brian
It is worth putting ZZZZZZ in as well, in case the hackers get clever and start the address book in reverse order.
You do not need the period (full stop) in the middle.
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Alwyn
Brian,

So it does work! Cheers.
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Honest John
A lot of new viruses have been coming in. Someone is using Andy Bairsto's e-mail address to send some (Andy knows and is not sending any real e-mails for the next 14 days). Another ruse is to send you a virus, then send you an e-mail with a link to something that is supposed to get rid of it. Be very careful out there. Keep your Outlook Express in full list view (disable preview). And don't open any attachments unless you're 100% sure.

HJ
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Andy P
Just for info, Norton Internet Security actually diverts incomming e-mails to a quarantine area so they can be examined first. This has caught one infected e-mail so far, and successfully dealt with it. I'd never go surfing without it.

Andy
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Mark
Have to agree some sort of protection either Mcafee or Norton is really essential.

Out of boredom I went through the virus report log on my Norton the other day and found that it has intercepted and stopped over 60 potential web based viruses or codes in the last 7 months.

None of these got through and most were quitely dealt with by the software.

Make the package seem very cheap really compared to a screwed computer.

as ever

Mark
Re: VIRUS WARNING - Keith
Barclays Internet Banking gave me Norton for Free. With 1 year included 'live updates'

Seems quite good.
Re: VIRUS WARNING - budu
Don't keep your email addresses in Outlook Express but in a separate list - Excel works well. I understand viruses can't then get at them.

To send a message, click on the relevant address in this list, right click Copy, close list, open Outlok Express, click on Create message, then right click on Paste in the address box.