Volvo S40 5th Gear Problems - thomp1983
Hello, the car is a 1999 T reg volvo s40 2litre 16v wih 150k on the clock and FSH.

the problem is since friday it has started to jump out of 5th gear. it only does it when lifting off the throttle at about 60-70mph, if you put it straight back in then it jumps out immediately, if you accelerate then put it in then it will stay in for awhile. at town speeds and below 50mph it is fine, there are no noises whines etc. from the box.

things tried so far are, new gear linkage bushes fitted, has greatly improved the change but not fixed the issue, also i have got some parts left over in the kit that i can't seem to find a place to fit, i have replaced the bushes on the gear lever under the centre console, the bushes at the base of the gear lever under the car were it meets the long linkage, and the other end of the long linkage where it meets the gearbox, but ive still got 2 big nylon bushes left and 2 smaller ones along with 2 o rings. i suspect these possibly go on the smaller bar that goes into the gearbox that is joined to the long linkage at the gearbox end. can anyone confirm this?

also i have changed the gearbox oil and refilled with 3.5 litres of comma ep75-80w which is the correct spec, there were no traces of metal in th old oil. and i have checked the engine.gearbox mountings as best i can by rocking the engine, and also revving it when stationary and can't find any excessive movement.

and as it's a renault box ive had the gearbox carter of the end and double checked the torque of the nut on the 5th gear cluster which is fine although ill be fitting a new nut anyway tomorrow but this is a known problem with this gearbox so i checked it anyway.

so does anyone have anymore ideas? i really need to know where the remaining bushes go incase that is the issue, i am also about to go check the linkage alignment although i don't suspect this to be the cause as it's so specific when it happens and i wouldn't think a bit of misalignment would throw it out of gear

any help greatly received
chris
Volvo S40 5th Gear Problems - injection doc
I think you have covered most things already but it does have cable operated gear linkage? known problem on these & common for cables to stretch so only answer is to replace. Its about £90 for the cables otherwise it will be an internal fault!. I asume you have checked engine & g/box mountings?
Volvo S40 5th Gear Problems - thomp1983
yes ive checked the mountings. it isn't the cable operate linkage. after adjusting the linkage some more it seems better but still does it just not so frequently. i have also managed to find another worn bush in the linkage which wasn't in my refurb kit so ill get that 2mrw and hopefully that should be it

cheers
chris