Wanted: RSS feed for the back room - oilfilter
Probably the best technology for reading online forums but why it is not deployed here? I would love to add an RSS feed of the back room to my news aggregator / reader, will help me keep taps on what's cooking:)
Wanted: RSS feed for the back room - mss1tw
That's a damn good idea actually
Wanted: RSS feed for the back room - PoloGirl
Tis a fab idea, but sadly unlikely to happen.

Would you want to be alerted each time there was a new post, or are you talking about each time there's a review or news article posted to the main site? Just thinking there are a *lot* of new posts each day!
Wanted: RSS feed for the back room - Citroënian {P}
I'm a big RSS fan, google reader has been a revelation to my surfing...

but

I agree with PG, not sure it would work here. I wouldn't want each new post fed over, and even each new thread would probably be too much to plough through. And don't forget that there's revenue for HJ from the ads we see on the screen. Seems a decent compromise that we see the ads to use the backroom, and go a little way towards funding it.

just my 2p
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Wanted: RSS feed for the back room - oilfilter
Let me try and dismantle the technical concerns brought up here regarding my wish for a simple RSS feed off the backroom. It can work like the RSS feeds in moneysavingexpert.com or dpreview.com forums for example; you get a different feed for the discussion thread and one for the technical.

1. About exposure to adds, If the feed is harvested via web-based readers such as Google reader, my yahoo, MS live etc' you can get the advert showing up in the same way as on the site. An RSS feed is an ad-on not a replacement to the web site which I am sure me and many other will still visit everyday, it is about convenience more than anything else. When clicking on the header link in a standalone reader such as Sage or GreatNews you get taken to the original site anyway so you do get exposed to the adverts in much the same way (including the clicking revenue).

2. About ploughing through long threads, you do this anyway on the site, with an RSS reader you get the headers and than you decide which thread to read, you click on it and you read it in the same way as online. The big advantage is that you can let you RSS aggregator copy the thread so one can view it offline (On the train for example, you might even meet another backroomers doing the same thing next to you!). If you just leave it online it will always show you only the latest feeds so I think the amount of data is no that big.