V.W Sharan 1.9 turbo diesel. Overheating - sparky100
Our VW. Sharan runs fine, but when travelling on a motorway at speed the temperature gauge goes up towards the red, I have changed the thermostat but it is still the same. The fans cut in as they should, but this does"t make any differance. The car is a 2001Y reg and has done 80,000 miles.The problem does not always occur every time. But seems to be more regular now. I wonder if anyone out there could shed some light on this subject. Thanks in advance. Sparky 100.
V.W Sharan 1.9 turbo diesel. Overheating - 659FBE
VW water pumps have a plastic impeller which either breaks up, becomes loose on the shaft or both. Any of these will cause overheating when the cooling demand is high.

Investigate this problem without delay - broken water pumps can cause the cambelt to jump teeth or otherwise fail with expensive consequences. Pattern water pumps are available with brass impellers.

V.W Sharan 1.9 turbo diesel. Overheating - Aprilia
I would be 99% sure this is a waterpump problem, as described above. It is very common on these cars. The waterpump is driven by the cambelt - so have that renewed at the same time. The whole job takes about three hours, so budget for that, plus the cost of the pump and the belt kit.
Thanks for advice 659fbe. I guessed it wouldn't be easy. Where can you get these pumps with brass impellers, sounds like a better idea.Thanks again.Sparky100.
I believe German Swedish & French sell these but I have yet to make a definite check. If you can speak to the manager of your particular branch and quote the engine type (eg. AWX) which is printed on a paper label on the cambelt upper cover, I'm sure you will get expert advice.

I have just changed the water pump on the sharan, you guys were right, the impeller had come off the shaft . Very poor design I think. Also who decided to put the pump where it is, one nightmare of a job, surely they could think of a better idea then this.
Could anyone out there tell me what the capacity is of the coolant. I have a service manual but it doesn't tell you.
Also the brake pad light has come on but when I checked the pads, there is loads of pad left at least 10mm. Looks like another mystery to solve. Thanks again guys. Hope you can help.Sparky100.
Glad you caught the pump before consequential damage was caused. An unspeakable design - I suspect that the water pump and the plastic faced cambelt idlers were part of some insane VAG policy to save weight (and cost) somewhere down the line. Fitness for purpose springs to mind.

I can't help with the coolant capacity - my PD is a NS installation. Make sure you use the correct coolant - probably 35% - 50% G12. Use distilled or rainwater to make up.

The pad wear system uses a loop which "fails" open circuit when the pad is worn. If your pads have 10mm of friction material left, suspect a bad connection where the pad leads terminate to the vehicle wiring.

Did you find a replacement water pump with a metal impeller?

V.W Sharan 1.9 turbo diesel. Overheating - Aprilia
If you think the waterpump is difficult on that, then you should try changing one on an Audi TT - incredibly difficult.

Cooling system capacity depends on the heater set up you have. The standard one-heater cars hold 7 litres; two-heater hold 9 litres and two-heater + aux. heater hold nearly 10 litres. Use the VW approved antifreeze and make it up 50:50 with distilled water (no more than £3 for 5 litre from your motor factor).

Check the wires to the pads ref. the warning light - sounds like somethings come adrift.
I have checked the wires to the pads and all seems o.k. I purchased some new pads and tried them but the warning light stays on. I wondered if i disconnected the battery it might reset the system.
Ref, the anti freeze , V.W approved stuff from the motor factors was £14.95 for 5 litres .G12. Expensive gear.
Thanks again for advice. sparky 100.
I