Motoring ASBOs - Lud
Does seem a bit worrying. I note that Mr Wilson is engagingly frank about a fairly carp and offhand bit of driving of the sort most of us do sometimes if we are honest enough to admit it. Plod in this case seems to be being a bit heavy-handed. But don't the police fly provocative kites like this sometimes to explore the possibilities of new laws, or even to point up their absurdity and torpedo them? I like to think so anyway.
Motoring ASBOs - Hamsafar
The reason they use ASBOs is because they don't count towards the crimes figures, so they hand these out and say - Crime down again!
Motoring ASBOs - Asbo Boy
Getting a Motoring ASBO for Being A Geordie? !!!

Hello, my name is Steve and I have an ASBO....

Not your average, nasty neighbour from hell ASBO, but one for being a 46 year old Geordie - oh and for driving a Volvo.

Well, that is according to Lothian and Borders Police, who issued the 'motoring' ASBO to me on 23rd June 2009 whilst I was driving on the A7 in the Scottish Borders.

The reason I know they issued the ASBO because of my location of birth (South Shields) and/or because of my choice of car is that today I finally received a copy of the attending officers PDA 'Electronic' Notebook entry.

It has taken since 25th June and numerous letters to Lothian and Borders Police Vehicle Recovery Section (no response), Chief Constable David Strang (no direct reponse to any of the 4 letters sent), and a visit from a local Police Inspector (unannounced and I was out) to get a final definitive reply from LBP 'Information Unit' (a misnomer if ever there was one).

That definitive reply according to the notes contained in the officers PDA is that I was issued with an ASBO because I had given my Name, Address, Place and Date of Birth, and I was driving a Volvo. - That was the full recorded account of the 'incident' which lead to my become a fully-fledged hoodie-wearing waste of space.

Doesn't it make you feel safe in your beds that Lothian and Borders Police are doing their best to keep all Geordie Volvo drivers in check?

Needless to say for the duration of the ASBO (12 months) I will be changing my car to a souped-up Vauxhall Astra with no Tax, Insurance or MOT, will start talking Estuary, and only answer to the name Wayne.
Motoring ASBOs - Dwight Van Driver
Gentlemen

You are referring to an ASBO ?

In the motoring context is this not a first warning under Section 59 Police Reform Act 2002 which deals with vehicles used for causing harassement etc?

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which?

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(b) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,

and can either warn - a second warning in a year means he can seize the vehicle.

dvd
Motoring ASBOs - Pugugly
Not sure whether it applies in Scotland or whether they have their own version
Motoring ASBOs - Pugugly
Please note that the original posting is nearly 2.5 years old.