Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - Jonnys06
Hi all,

When I manage to sell my car I want a Golf mk4 GTI 25th Anniversary. I wanted the Petrol model as I thought it had a bit extra power (180)and probably sounds better, but have now heard due to one of HJ's pages, the diesel has a lot of torque but has 30 less horse power. Am I right in assuming that those 30 bhp don't really make a great deal of difference? Obviously the mpg is much better too? If someone knows a bit about the performance of both of these versions I would be grateful, and also which version you think is better.

Cheers
Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - a900ss
What's your mileage? What's your style of driving? What type of journeys do you do (town/motorway/etc)?>> Hi all
Mileage is fairly minimal as I have a company van but want a faster car for weekends and maybe a couple of evenings a week. I'm thinking of the diesel as you get performance and economy- ish. I'm a fairly sensible driver but like to put my foot down when safe to do so. Journeys are a mix of everything really, motorway, town, country, the lot. Hope that helps

Cheers
Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - George Porge
These are collectable, command a high price for unabused examples, if you're keeping it long term it wont make much difference what mileage you do. In mint condition either will command a high price when the time comes to resell. A rechip will put the TDi over 180BHP anyway

The alloys are known for corroding and are £400+ each, buy a minter, keep it mint and you'll not lose much on depreciation
I suppose the wheels corroding result in MOT failure? If they start to corrode, as a cheaper option could I get them re - furbished or would they need replacing? Are there any other things to look out for with these cars?
Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - George Porge
I suppose the wheels corroding result in MOT failure? If they start to corrode as
a cheaper option could I get them re - furbished or would they need replacing?
Are there any other things to look out for with these cars?

They'll just look unsightly, they're ball bearing pollished and a refurb would be obvious. Its a limited edition car and you'll be paying over the odds for this reason, buy the best and look after it well
Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - a900ss
With minimal mileage, if it was my money, I'd go with the petrol everytime. The diesel in this units isn't the most refined of diesels (although by no means the worst) and I'd go for the refinement of the petrol. If you like to put your foot down occasionally, the petrol will actually make you fell like you are driving a car, it will make you work a bit harder for it. The diesel will just respond in a high gear and still pull away on a rush of torque. The diesel is the 'lazier' option. If you were higher mileage, the economies of a diesel come into play but for minimal mileage, they don't.

Take the better, more refined car - the petrol.

PS - Please don't read this as a dislike for diesel cars. My car is a diesel but I drive 40,000 miles pa and need the economy. I'm also a lazy driver so like the low down pull a diesel can give.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure that you'll get many. The best advice I can offer though is to test drive the petrol and the diesel and see which one you prefer...
Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - perleman
Seems wrong to get an anniversary edition GOlf GTi and get a diesel. The coment above about chipping applies to the petrol too - that can be chipped to about 215BHP. If you love this particular model & are prepered to pay well over the cost of the normal model, surely ecconomy isn't a massive factor? The petrol certainly sounds far nicer too.
Golf Anniversary - GTI or TDI - Avant
I've tried an Octavia vRS petrol and a Golf 170 TDI. The 197 bhp petrol engine is a torquey unit and doesn't feel dead at lower revs, and some Hondas and Alfas do, for example. And it doesn't have that sudden onrush of power as the diesel does.

I think you'd be quite happy with a GTI as you don't do a huge mileage. For those of us who do high mileages it's less tempting as the fuel tank (and therefore range) is too small, and it needs super unleaded to give of its best.
Just to let everybody know and to discontinue this thread, I have just part exed my golf for a GTI Anniversary and went for the petrol version in silver with 24,000 miles on the clock - worth the extra wonga. Spent £11995 - not bad for someone with a 6 grand budget!! Cheers for everyones help and advice

Jon