M42 speed cameras - s61sw
Apologies if this is covered in the speed camera thread, but could anyone tell me if the gantry cameras on the M42 Automated Traffic Management section 'catch' you if you're doing, say, 60 through a 50 indicated limit, or are they average speed detectors?
I just need to tell a know-it-all work colleague that he might have to look out for a NIP coming through the post. I know that not all the gantry signs have cameras behind them.

Thanks in advance

S6 1SW
M42 speed cameras - David Horn
As far as I'm aware, no, since I heard that the software responsible for doing it is totally stuffed. I went through there last summer at 85mph when the signs showed the NSL and nothing came of it, though I sweated for a few weeks afterwards!
M42 speed cameras - daveyjp
David - the cameras only operate when a reduced limit is in force - no probs doing 150 when NSL is showing - unless Mr Bobby is out and about.

With the number of signs on this stretch I'm amazed anyone would exceed the limit. To link to the cruise control thread on the odd occasion I use this road and reduced limits are in force using cruise is quite possible even when it's busy. All three lanes make progress.
M42 speed cameras - MikeTorque
- no probs doing 150 when NSL is showing - unless Mr Bobby is out and about.

I hope they get you off the road and put you in a padded cell ASAP with that crazy and irresponsible attitude.

M42 speed cameras - Lud
I hope they get you off the road and put you in a padded cell
ASAP with that crazy and irresponsible attitude.

Absolutely MikeTorque. Wimpish and unsporting in the extreme to lift off just because plod is about. Some people have no class.
M42 speed cameras - stevied
: ) Nice one. Lud, speed kills... haven't you realised that yet?

Puts on coat, runs away and hides, after lighting large firework.
M42 speed cameras - daveyjp
Now, now, calm down, calm down. My attitude is a limit is a limit.

I am highlighting the fact that at present if NSL is showing anyone can drive through there at speeds well in excess of NSL in the knowledge they will not get a NIP unless Mr Bobby is out to catch them.

That OK with you?
M42 speed cameras - Lud
Fine with me. How about you stevied?
Bob on! : )

According to LJKS, every lane you move to the left takes 10mph off your perceived speed. Does that include the hard shoulder I wonder?
M42 speed cameras - Lud
On the other side of the ditch in the grass you might even appear to be stationary or going backwards.
Good tip. I am on the M54 later (brilliant motorway for getting a wriggle on) and will take the advice.
Good tip. I am on the M54 later (brilliant motorway for getting a wriggle on)
and will take the advice.

The M50 is my favourite for this (getting a wriggle on) due to the lack of traffic.
I've been trying through the day to get information on these. The safety camera partnership web site for the area doesn't seem to have been updated since 2004!
Does anyone know the answer to my original question (he asks plaintively)?

S6 1SW
M42 speed cameras - TheGrocer
Drive through em on a regular basis, Have the Origin Blue i2 and they warn of which ones are active ( or though the big camera unit at the back of the gantry is a bit of a giveaway)) ....Seen em flash drivers regularly and Im guessing that at least half of them get a ticket!!!
Your choice stick to the advised limit or sweat for 14 days waiting for the NIP.
--
\"Eagles may fly in formation but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines\"
Thanks TheGrocer (and others). I'd not seen any flashes (I only go through once a fortnight), but you've confirmed what I was thinking. I've always stuck to the limit when one has been posted, so I'll let my colleague know about this and see if he believes me now.

S6 1SW
M42 speed cameras - Lud
This is extremely disappointing.

I had hoped s61sw might be tempted to try the 150mph ice cream as suggested by the Justice of the Peace. No such luck apparently.

Next time you're in the mood though s61, and do let us know if you notice any flashes quite a long way behind you.... I'm sure it'll be fine :o)
M42 speed cameras - Mad Maxy
What is 'getting a wriggle on'? (For heaven's sake.)
M42 speed cameras - Waino
What is 'getting a wriggle on'? (For heaven's sake.)>>

Ah, takes me back 30 years to when my old mate in the Black Country used the expression. It means 'getting a move on', 'making rapid progress' etc.

It's use seemed to be centred around the Lower Gornal region near Dudley ;-)
M42 speed cameras - james86
I thought they only checked speed when a limit other than NSL was showing (same set-up as the M25 clockwise section around Heathrow). Not that I intend to push my luck by trying to find out!