citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - wrigley
hi, im a new member can anybody help or advise me.

I have just aquired through the family the above motor and wanted to keep it for our 19 yr old son but it has a problem

the engine bay is covered in oil which I believe is being pumped back out from the filler cap so there would seem to be something causing crankcase pressure (I was in the motor trade but left 20yrs ago and am not familiar with modern technology) I have not done any investigation at this stage

are there any common problems with this model such as blocked filters breathers etc. it has done 97000 and had a full dealer service history till 74000 I would appriciate any help advice from you all even if it is to let it go

thanks guys
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Mchenry
This sounds serious to me. If it was a blocked breather, air would gently escape as the engine warmed up, not blow oil all over the engine bay. I can't see what it could be apart from serious compression problems (borken ring?) on a cylinder - try getting a compression test done
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - wrigley
thanks for that info and i will consider getting this done. how much would this cost? and if it is a broken ring it would not be worth repairing I suspect what do you think.
what puzzles me is the fact that you could balance a coin on the engine it runs that sweet and drives absolutely perfectly surely if there was something as catastrophic wrong as broken rings it would affect performance what say you?

wrigley
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Mchenry
A further thought: you say you have just acquired the vehicle. Has the situation got worse since you bought it or has the previous user run the vehicle with the oil filler cap missing and not cleaned up the mess? A Citroën dealer should give it a compression test for nothing (or nearly) if they think there's a chance of getting the work to rebuild the engine or fit a new one. Beware about the objectivity of the test under these conditions - ask to see the printout.
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Screwloose
wrigley

Any good garage, with a serious scan-tool, could view the individual cylinder injection quantity figures in live-data and those will immediately show even microscopic differences in cylinder efficiency.

Much better [and cheaper] than a cranking compression test - one of the few advantages of an HDi's electronic complexity.

Bottom-end trouble is rare on these; as said, unless it's still blowing fumes, it could just have been owner carelessness.
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Robin the Technician
First thing to do is to arm yourself with a bottle of washing up liquid and a yard brushand head down to the nearest garage that possess's a power washer. Apply copious quantities of said liquid on the engine, scrub well with the brush and then wash. You can then check where the oil is coming from and hopefully rectify it. If it is as you say, covered in oil, then finding the leak in this condition is that much more difficult.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Ross_D
Check the seal in the filler cap. They seem to perish quite rapidly and oil gets blown out over the engine. I have owned 4 HDi cars now, current one is a Xsara that is 3 and a bit years old, and the seal leaks. The positive pressure in the cambox doesnt help things!
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Peter D
Over Filled Oil. Regards Peter
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - milkyjoe
blocked up oil filter
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Frogeye
My Pug 110 Hdi lost 2 caps, each time after a service. I tightened the 3rd cap tight and no further problems, there seems to be a problem with the cap design, as I have never lost a cap before.

John
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 - wrigley
Thanks for the info on previous oil problem it was indeed the oil filler cap knocked off due to broken engine cover rubber bobbins broken have replaced and everything is just fine on the engine side.
next enquiry for you wonderfull fellows is this i have the car up on axle stands and wish to change the brake pads all round I left the motor trade twenty years ago when (abs) was coming in and as this car has it i know there are some safety issues to observe any advice would be gratefully received

thanks
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 - RichardW
Only precaution is that it's often recommended to open the bleed screw when pushing the pistons back to prevent the mucky end of line fluid going back through the ABS pump and block. Note that the handbrake works on the main disc on the rear of these cars, and you need to screw the piston back in (clockwise) rather than just push it. Just use a screwdriver or something in the slots in the piston face.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - brayer
check that the engine style cover rubber posts are all present and correct as if they are not the cover moves around and will pull up the dipstck and can sometimes unscrew the oil filler cap,i work in a peugeot main dealer and we see the very often.
citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 2002 oil problem - Quinny
My 99 406 HDi doesn't suffer from any filler cap problems,and I've owned it just short of 2 years,and put 22k on it.

Maybe I'm just lucky.