HJ Mini tests - ForumNeedsModerating
I was fortunate enough to have a Mini Cooper 5 years ago - had a fun year then sold it on for little overall cost & was seriously thinking about the newer version, esp. Cooper D. The overall 'feel' from the various tests on HJ has been one of paradise lost, yes, some things have improved, but some overall fun/driveability has been lost, along with it seems, some ride comfort. I compared the new/new Mini with the old/new Mini in the showroom, to my eye it looked bloated & just too big. I totted up the cost of options & the whole package seemed more an exercise in 'options trading' (just like 'finance deals' are the real money-spinner for some main dealers) - the base car is made to look almost unattractive, but the options list soon makes the car look overpriced, imho,when compared to the alternatives.

I wouldn't be surprised if discount deals soon start to appear on DTD et al.
HJ Mini tests - bell boy
Wont happen in the near future ,residuals are built on the artificially high (my opinion) s/h values and bmw certainly wouldnt rock a tight boat by discounts anywhere and why should they,would you discount something with a perceived higher value to the man in the street? if it is of no long term benefit to themselves
HJ Mini tests - boxsterboy
They still seem a vanity car to me, albeit one that is fun to drive.

The packaging and prices do seem ridiculous, but it clearly seems to be popular with certain people.
HJ Mini tests - tr7v8
People who percieve it as a BMW?

It does seem to be a badge thing with it, I remember one of the motor shows lending it to a young girl who on showing it to her BMW mad boyfriend & his mates, they lifted the bonnet & said look at the lovely BMW engine. Oh dear they didn't realise it's a Chrysler one!
HJ Mini tests - Mad Maxy
Well now it's got a Ford/PSA engine IIRC! I've had a 52-reg Cooper and now have an 05 Cooper S. The 'packs' used to be good value, but outside those, the extras can push up the cost quite a bit. I'm not sufficiently interested in the 'new' MINI to have investigated the costs involved. IMO the new version looks ugly - mainly due to what appears to be the higher bonnet (for increased pedestrian protection); I think the 'old' one still looks terrific.

HJ, a Cooper S on 16s? I'd be ashamed to be seen in it...! More seriously, I've no problem in doing long distances in my Cooper S. I think it feels a very capable car. Last year I did a 1,000 mile round trip to Scotland and back, and will be doing so again this year. Looking forward to it.
HJ Mini tests - kenl
Well I have owned both (a 2002 ONE & now a 2007 Cooper).

I think the new version is a far better car in virtually every respect.

I prefer the new chunkier looks, the build quality is far better than the old old I owned. The ride is much more civilised (16" and standard suspension) yet the handling is better in my opinion.

What else? The petrol engine is way better than the old Brazilian version. It is also far more economical and cleaner too.

The car itself may well be over-priced, but people are buying them. The residuals and £150 servicing package mean the car is not money down the drain like many other cars.