Car selling scam? - Jonnys06
Hi all,

I am selling my car on the net and have recieved an e-mail from a company who have seen my add and want me to use them to sell it. The e-mail reads:

Advertise your Volkswagen for sale for only £7.50 at ******************
Your Advert will stay active until you have sold your car and the price includes a photo if required. You can also change the Selling Price online as often as you want.

We noticed your Advertisement on the Internet (we do not use mailing lists) and we are writing to let you know about an offer we are running for people selling Cars like yours.

Our Website has been open since 1999 and we are listed on over 1500 Search Engines World-Wide.

The site is interactive which enables you to create the best Advertisement for your Car and change your Selling Price whenever you want.

If you respond to this e-mail we will discount our normal Advertising fee to £7.50. To claim your discounted Advertisement please change the amount in the payable box to £7.50 on the page where you enter your Card details. We will then activate your Advertisement as soon as your details are received.

We apologise if this e-mail has caused any inconvenience or offence, but please be assured that we do not buy or sell e-mail lists, and you will not be contacted again.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Has anyone got any experience from using these companies - is it worth it?
Does this have scam written all over it??

Cheers

Car selling scam? - Round The Bend
Not necessarily a scam, but I'd treat it like you would junk mail or an unsolicited phone call.
Car selling scam? - bell boy
i like the line
"you will not be contacted again"

how will you sell it then? ;-)

if their advertising worked then they wouldnt need to cold call for £7.50
Car selling scam? - Mike H
If the car is under £1000, you gan get it on Autotrader for £7.99 for a fortnight, so it's no such a big deal.
I am with autotrader now. put it on for 2 weeks for £18 (as over £1000) but am struggling to sell it! This looked appealing as they claim to keep the ad on u ntil you sell the car!
Car selling scam? - nick
If it's not selling, you are asking too much!
Car selling scam? - bathtub tom
Remember the old adage:
Invent a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door.

If you were buying a car, would this company spring to mind when looking at adverts?
Car selling scam? - romeo156
Try Loot.com. Advertised for 2 weeks online for £2.50. Just sold my wifes fiesta, best £2.50 I have ever spent

Car selling scam? - Mike H
Yep, I've had no response at all, not even the smallest of nibbles. I was wondering whether the Telesafe and the potential extra cost of calls was putting people off?
Car selling scam? - expat
Put a For Sale sign on the back passenger window of the car. Make sure you have details of mileage, service history etc. This costs you nothing and often people will see the car and think "That looks alright".

You don't get fast sales this way but it does work.
Car selling scam? - v0n
It's very simple - have you ever looked at the website in question to search for a car? What about your friends? If answer is no to both you are wasting £7.50. Cardata used to do "we have buyers waiting for your car and it's on our website until it's sold" cold calling sales at £75-100 a pop, so the idea is neither new, nor particularly appealing anymore. You can create dozen of such websites yourself and with a bit of preset infrastructure it is practically self running - maximum one man operation. Scan autotrader, auto find emails, email people with preset form, £5 a pop via paypal, let them input all the details, pretend that this self rolling counter in the corner is number of actual visitors or viewers.
Bottom line - if you never heard or used the service there is no point pretending it will bring you more feedback than a website everyone uses to find their cars.

In similar ranting mode - I don't look for cars on loot not buy loot for anything anymore because a) website is a mess, in this day and age noone does oneliner adverts anymore - calling about "Volkswagen. Golf. Blue. Radio. £POA" is a waste of free minutes on your phone bill. b) their pricing policies change every five minutes which is alienating c) printed version is weeks old the moment someone picks it up and who on earth would actually pick up Loot at whatever it costs now to find cars?
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
I have taken into account the other cars on the trader being sold and mine is the second cheapest (at 6,250 on an 03 plate golf), although the one cheaper than mine has lower mileage and same spec. I cant, however, drop the price of mine below theirs as I would be giving it away and am going to be knocked down even more when it actually comes to closing the deal!
Could it be that people are buying more convertibles etc. as it getting towards the summer months? Is it harder to sell at this time of year?
cheapest is not always best
some people assume something is wrong if the cheapest
when advertising treat everyone as idiots and hit them with all the facts they need to know,
as jimmy saville says say everything twice as it normally doesnt go in the first time, but dont give them negatives.
jobs quiet anyway so just keep plugging away
Car selling scam? - Lud
as jimmy saville says say everything twice

(Removed for Lud's sake because if Jimmy Saville took exception to it he could have Lud's house)
now then now then..........Lud ;-)
Car selling scam? - Lud
(Removed for Lud's sake because if Jimmy Saville took exception to it he could have
Lud's house)

Not really because it isn't mine. Still, yet another reason for ignoring the old monster.

I note that you probably agree with me too... :o)
Car selling scam? - BB
If you want a quick sale, reduce the price. If you want your full price it will take longer to sell, or at least until the competitor (better and cheaper golf) has gone.
Car selling scam? - TurboD
I always use the local paper to seel my cars when i've done with them, and always sold. Then people are local, theytrust you as they know where you are, and sell at the right price, not too hogh or low. A Golf should sell well to a 'young lad', but he'll need a bit left over for the sound system etc.( sorry being ageist)

As for being approached, well I have a word( two in fact) for them go away {edit by DD}
Car selling scam? - JamesH
Jonnys06

I have searched for a VW Golf on Auto Trader, age up to 5 years, national, private. Surprisingly only two 03 registered ones came up priced at £6,250. The Golf is one of the most searched cars on AT so should be in demand. The convertible market picking up shouldn't affect you, as lots of people (almost irrationally) specifically target Golfs.

Either: Yours is the black 1.6 Match
This is the better advert of the two but point to improve it would be:
- Remove the second and third mention of the mileage
- Cut the unnecessary spec description: heated rear window, rear wash wipe, radio & cassette, head restraints. These will be taken for granted and just pad out the advert.
- Say whether the black is pearlescent/metallic
- Give the number of owners (unless loads)
- Say if the SH is at a dealer, and how long ago if the last one was recent. Any other recent maintenance?
- Put the actual MoT expiry month
- Any tax?
What I think are good are:
- Many photos in a pleasant looking area
- Landline & mobile & email

Or: Yours is the red TDI SE
A more desirable engine than the above but a less appealing advert
- It's in the Republic of Ireland. I have no idea how sucessful AT is, I didn't realise it operated there.
- Same points as advert above, except the description is already sparse with spec about all said. Tax, MOT, owners, service history? Have to assume none, none, lots and none otherwise.
- Just one photo at a car wash

Or: Your car is neither of these.
Either you have changed the price, or I can't find it. If I can't, your buyers can't either.

Agree with the other posts though. Auto Trader and a local paper have still worked for me, maybe try eBay but be prepared for waste of time emails/offers. Don't bother with the companies that come to you. If you haven't heard of them, will your buyers?

James
Car selling scam? - Collos25
Cars with radio cassettes do not sell unless a an autochanger is fitted. Petrols are poor sellers while diesels fly of the shelve.
Thanks James H, great advice. Have changed ad, its the Black 1.6 match. Sounds silly I know but i'm not sure what black it is. It doesnt say on the log book and it doesn't look metallic so i'm not sure and just left it the same.

Cheers again
Car selling scam? - JamesH
Jonnys06 - it might be my fault, I just looked at your ad and the mileage has disappeared completely now (apart from the photo). Looking at others, it seems you may have to show it twice (nothing wrong with showing 53k as it's relatively low compared to other similar ones).

Only two owners, throwing in 9 months of tax and a fairly recent service are good selling points so hopefully it may help. Good luck with the sale!

James
Have changed it again, hopefully for the last time! Thanks again,

Jon