12V tyre inflators - bathtub tom
My foot-pump broke, and I'm thinking of getting one of these 12V inflators. The problem is none of them seem to have any comparable rating. I would've thought something along the lines of: nn cubic feet/min at 30PSI.
A couple claim to be able to inflate from flat in three or four minutes, but still not really subjective.

So what's the opinion out there?
12V tyre inflators - jase1
In my experience they take around a minute to inflate the tyre 2 or 3 psi, and they're incredibly noisy in doing so -- they vibrate so much they tend to bounce around and rip themselves off the valve if not pinned down with a foot. Problem with that being that a lot of them are delicate, and parts like the meter and hoses may break under the combined pressure of the vibration and the foot.

Not a fan of these things I'm afraid.
12V tyre inflators - SjB {P}
Not a fan of these things I'm afraid.

Ditto.

My Halfords brass double barrel footpump left a relative's 12v pump for dead in a race, and no, I wasn't going crazy at it.
12V tyre inflators - bell boy
if you can get into somewhere like makro bt you can buy a battery booster charger with a built in electic footpump ,it might not blow a tyre up in a minute but i dont ever leave work without one in fact i have 3
cost £25 and they last yonks
i will never ever use a footpump again
12V tyre inflators - rtj70
I have one and it took ages to even inflate a few PSI. I didn't buy the most expensive but it was not the cheapest. Slow and noisy.

The other week the pressure was not going up at all - and I check with a separate gauge as it's gauge is more than useless. Went out and bought a twin-barrel inflator foot pump and inflated the tyres in a few minutes.

Maybe expensive ones work but I'd buy a good foot pump.
12V tyre inflators - BazzaBear {P}
So noisy that you're actually embarrassed to inflate your tyres. I've reverted back to a foot pump.
12V tyre inflators - s61sw
I'd agree with the above - the two I've used have been next to useless

S6 1SW
12V tyre inflators - MikeTorque
Ditto - slow and noisy and the wiring isn't long enough to do both sides of the car without having to pull and plug in again. Iife's too short to mess around with these things.

Stick with double barrel foot pump, must faster and a free workout for ones legs.
12V tyre inflators - Group B
I've got a Challenge Truck and SUV Compressor same as the ITC 12-132 one here: snipurl.com/1kkb7
Can get them from Argos but I got mine off eBay for about £15 inc. postage. In fact theres one here: snipurl.com/1kke0

Its sturdy and inflates quickly, accuracy is pretty good but I use a seperate guage also. It does wobble around a bit but I lay it on its side and its not yet detached itself from the valve.

My Dad has a cheap and flimsy one which is useless for airbeds, let alone car tyres, so with that in mind I bought one that looked more solid and it works well IMHO. But it only gets used for 5 mins. once a month.

;o)
12V tyre inflators - pendulum
I got a cheap Rolson one off eBay, £8 delivered I think.

Nowt wrong with it. Sure, it's slow to pump up, but not that slow. It'll take a tyre from say 25psi to 32psi in a couple of minutes.
It's noise. It vibrates. I don't really care.

I carry it in the boot and only use it once every 6 months.

For such occasional use there's no point in buying a decent footpump.

If it gets the job done then great, and these little things do get the job done.
12V tyre inflators - bathtub tom
Thanks for the replies. Overall, it looks like you're in favour of me getting the exercise (I could probably do with it). I guessed as much from the 12V inflators I've seen working!
I'm sure if you get a decent one (Autoexpress winner is reduced from £38 to about £25 at Halfords). But for less than £25 you can get a reasonable foot pump. Surprised me how much quicker I could pump up tyres with the footpump. I knew the 12v one was slow but had not realised how slow.
12V tyre inflators - SjB {P}
A colleague has a large stirrup pump; if my double barrelled Halfords foot pump leaves 12v electric pumps for dead, then the stirrup pump is in another league again!
12V tyre inflators - storme
these footpumps may leave the 12v ones for dead...But thats not the question ,,is it?

yes they do work..
yes you may have to wait a minute or two
yes they may vibrate a lot..but so what...just hold it

its all about convienience...
No you dont need to work your biceps
No you dont need to go to the gargae to pump it,,only to find it busted
No they are not perfect...they just do a job in a resonable time

Mine saves my arms and saves going to the garage everytime...In fact it saves me from all this the whole 3 times a yr i need to use it!!
--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
12V tyre inflators - milkyjoe
i got one from a garage, it was branded with AA , £6.99 plug in to the fag lighter and your away, but i still use my trusty tyre guage (looks like a pen) to double check
12V tyre inflators - machika
I have a Halfords electric pump. It is the second I have had, the first having given up the ghost after about 3 years. I used to use a foot pump but the valve connection became faulty and I ended up with less air in the tyre than I started with.

It is not bad, not that noisy and doesn't vibrate much. As for how long it takes to inflate a tyre, it surely depends on the size of the tyre.
12V tyre inflators - Hamsafar
I got one from Wilkos for £6.99. I chose it because it was very small, it is very noisy and jumps around scratching itsself on the floor, but it's great to have in the boot. I also have a compressor locked away in the garage, but not very convenient, there are so few petrol stations left that it's too hard to find a free one which works,, without a queue. So for £6, you can't go worng as they say.
12V tyre inflators - Stuartli
Like machika I have a Halfords model £15 about 10 years ago - I've used it less than half-a-dozen times as a) it's very, very slow b) the connector keeps slipping off the tyre valve c) it's so much easier and very much quicker at my local Tesco...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
12V tyre inflators - henry k
Mine cost £4.99 in Macro 3? years ago.
It is a bit bulky, slow, noisy, stable with a simple target on the guage. It works.
The target is confirmed by a pencil guage.
Money well spent.
12V tyre inflators - Happy Blue!
I got a Halfords one as a present.

As a poster above stated...."Nowt wrong with it. Sure, it's slow to pump up, but not that slow. It'll take a tyre from say 25psi to 32psi in a couple of minutes. It's noisy. It vibrates. I don't really care. I carry it in the boot and only use it once every 6 months. For such occasional use there's no point in buying a decent footpump. If it gets the job done then great, and these little things do get the job done."

Mine is reliable, accurate (I check with a pencil guage) and great for footballs.

I have no problems about it slipping off the valve.

Horses for courses.
I rarely used my 12 tyre pump and it has now stopped inflating. It was always noisy and slow and now defunct.

Worrying if you looked inside the case there was an occasional small spark! It was a Halfords one I think.

Useful for space in the boot though, it was also a bright 12v light.