12V power and Fag lighter socket - Dave N
Are these the same? So does a phone charger that fits a fag socket also fit a '12V power socket'?

I ask as I have a hire car booked and want to make sure my sat nav and phone charger will fit if it only has a 12V power socket (whatever that is).
12V power and Fag lighter socket - LHM
Yes indeed - they're the same. Hopefully, our American friends will know what a 'fag socket' is.....
12V power and Fag lighter socket - R75
Yes indeed - they're the same. Hopefully our American friends will know what a 'fag
socket' is.....

I am sure they will know, and will have the odd item in their "Fanny Bags" to go in it!
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Altea Ego
well lets hope one of our septic friends try and stick the old JT in the "fag" socket.

What an archaic bit of technology this device is in modern cars.

I install a mini powered USB hub in my cars for a +5v supply.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
12V power and Fag lighter socket - LHM
What an archaic bit of technology this device is in modern cars.

Ahh, but it complements perfectly the cigar humidor in many an older "gentlemen's car"!
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Brian Tryzers
Yes
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Chas{P}
Yes they are the same.

Wish that years ago a better standard of plug and socket had been developed. The number of times you have to wiggle and push those plugs to get a decent connection!
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Screwloose
Wish that years ago a better standard of plug and socket had been developed.

It was; it's called a DIN socket. Many fag plugs have a slide-off red cover to enable them to fit both.

12V power and Fag lighter socket - R75
Wish that years ago a better standard of plug and socket had been developed. The
number of times you have to wiggle and push those plugs to get a decent
connection!

It has, the Hella type plug is far better, but you don't see it much outside of trucks and caravans.
12V power and Fag lighter socket - rtj70
If you go to the US, do not refer to it as a fag socket or similar. Their definition of "fag" is very different to ours. I'll leave it to backroomers to find out.... but a hint. When my brother who lives and works in the US replied to the question "where's X?" he said he's gone outside for a fag... he got very strange looks ;-)
12V power and Fag lighter socket - mike hannon
...and don't bend over to look for it, whatever you do
12V power and Fag lighter socket - bell boy
just beware of stray little fingers and 5 pence pieces is all i can add ;-)
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Dave N
Thanks giys.

I've seen the smaller DIN sockets, and thought that's what you got with a 12V power socket.

Aren't they still called cigar lighters? Ha, the cigars I smoke are too large to reach the element.
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Cliff Pope
Aren't they still called cigar lighters? Ha the cigars I smoke are too large to
reach the element.

The heating element is in the detachable plug, not in the socket. That is to avoid embarrassing misunderstandings when people bend down trying to get the cigarette into the lighter and keep it in their mouth.
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Brian Tryzers
>The heating element is in the detachable plug, not in the socket...

Presumably that means that anyone who buys a secondhand car (mine, for example) with 12V sockets but no lighter can simply buy a plug-in lighter and light away.
12V power and Fag lighter socket - NARU
It time that there was a smaller socket used, and more of them in the car, in more useful places. One on the dash for plugging in the satnav, etc.

And why can't we have a standard phone socket?
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Aprilia
I guess you could install your own 12V jacks - the small co-axial 3.5mm or 4.5mm are avialable as a 'chassis mount' socket for under £1 from Maplin I think. You would have to fuse it at 1amp or so, but it would be dead easy to install (just drill a small hole in the trim) and ideal for satnav, camera detector etc etc.
12V power and Fag lighter socket - bell boy
and let the kids plug their earphones into them ;-O
12V power and Fag lighter socket - SpamCan61 {P}
>>and let the kids plug their earphones into them ;-O

LOL..or their iPod extension leads...£££££

I keep meaning to fit something like this myslef, given that the fag(sic) lighter socket can source 10A on my cars, I'll probably use something a bit beefier like an olde worlde quater inch jack socket.
I keep meaning to fit something like this myslef given that the fag(sic) lighter socket
can source 10A on my cars I'll probably use something a bit beefier like an
olde worlde quater inch jack socket.

I don't think I'd use any kind of audio jack - too easy to short - in fact I think you can momentarily short them as you plug them in.
and let the kids plug their earphones into them ;-O

No, not the audio type jacks but the round co-axial type power connectors (got a hole in the middle).
12V power and Fag lighter socket - Contax

Just bought a new peugeot bipper tepee with only a 12v 180w accessory socket, only thing that fits it is their compressor with goo, the plug is shorter & thicker than a cig lighter plug, I put cig lighter plg in it is very loose and won't hold in, pump plug won't fit into cig lighter socket. Dealer says smokers pack no longer an option & can't find parts, under plate there is another 3 pin plug to fit on cig lighter but he warned any alteration even if I find peugeot parts could invalidate 3 year warranty. If only I could buy a plug to fit the peugeot accessory socket I could use it to wire a floating cig lighter socket for mobile & sat nav.

Edited by Contax on 31/03/2011 at 03:13

12V power and Fag lighter socket - Ethan Edwards

Guy's, be very careful. Some modern cars like your Bipper Teepee and my 2010 Nissan Note specifically say the socket is for 12v power ONLY. It is not thermally protected and you must NOT ever try to use it with a Cigarette lighter. ie you will MELT the dashboard if you try to use a lighter.

It's the Health & Safety Nannies at work again I'm afraid. Luckily if you pop down to H******** they will sell you a free standing cigarette lighter socket thing which has a lead to plug into your 12v accessory socket. Phew I feel healthier already!