G Whizz crash safety scare. - boxsterboy
I see the Dept. of Transport have, yet again, stated the bleedin' obvious. Namely that those little plastic electric G Whizz cars might be less safe than other cars in a crash. Well I never!?!! I think I could lift one with my little finger - and I dread to think what they must be like to drive - come on HJ, where's the test??

They are classed as quadracylcles (4-wheel bikes) as long as they are less than a certain weight (without batteries) - hence their light build - hence their poor crash safety. But as they are now seen as an alternative to cars, especially in London, the DoT thinks they might have to meet car crash test standards. If this happens this will surely be the end of them, and similar French Axiam 'cars'?

Apparently TG crash-tested one and it "disintegrated" on impact!
G Whizz crash safety scare. - mk124
I am sooooooo surprised.

Evolution I think. - The one thing that is good about these cars is that they are good for the environment....... On second thoughts they should all be crushed to save us from misinformed do-gooders. These cars are not good the the envronment.

The crushing of the owner in a crash may come as a bonus. Evolution at work.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
G Whizz crash safety scare. - stunorthants26
Thing is, dangerous and rubbish tho the car is, a pedal bike is dangerous if you come off at 25 mph - so shall we ban them too?

I think that unless it has design faults that make it dangerous, its just something people should be aware of when they buy. Besides, its not like a Whizz is faster than a milkfloat is it?

If you willingly get into an ice cream carton with a motor and drive it, thats your own choice lol
G Whizz crash safety scare. - mss1tw
12mph was enough! (Car decided to share bike lane with me heading back from New Haw)

The tarmac won.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - henry k
The G Whizz spokesman said they are safe and IIRC no accidents....... average speed in London is 12mph ( what ever that is meant to imply)

In the last couple of years I have been, on many occasions, in my car parked in Regents Park waiting to collect a passenger. During the several hours there I have seen many many G Whizz examples passing by travelling, IMO much closer to 40mph. With many many very large limos etc around them they do look incredibly vulnerable.

With the AC three wheelers having apparently gone I thought we were left with Reliants as the next most vulnerable.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - bell boy
anybody who thinks that a bit of 1x1 and a bit of glassfibre is safe obviously never read charles darwins book
G Whizz crash safety scare. - tyro
I look forward to the introduction of NCAP testing for motorbikes and push bikes.

(Mind you, something ironic about the prospect of the G Whizz being banned in London before "Chelsea tractors". I can't see Bamber being happy about this.)
G Whizz crash safety scare. - local yokel
"average speed in London is 12mph"

Gross mis-use of stats if ever I saw it! Since when did average speed mean that all cars are going at that speed. If only!
G Whizz crash safety scare. - paulb {P}
Let's face it, chaps, the anti-powered road transport lunatics knew damn well that they couldn't clang these little things on emissions, what with them being electric and all, so elfansafety in the guise of an NCAP test was their only recourse.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - flunky
apropos:

www.boris-johnson.com/archives/2007/05/gwiz_electr...p
G Whizz crash safety scare. - henry k
Apparently TG crash-tested one and it "disintegrated" on impact!

>>
See pics below.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007...l
G Whizz crash safety scare. - Sim-O
What the hell is a 'quadrocycle'??
Looks like a car to me.
Surely a quadrocycle is an ATV (or quad, preview.tinyurl.com/39d7df ), a bike with four wheels, not a car that looks like a car and drives like a car?
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
G Whizz crash safety scare. - Welliesorter
Why do people believe that electric cars are pollution-free?

Powering a car by electricity simply transfers the pollution from the car itself to whatever produces the electricity.

On the other hand, Radio 4's You And Yours re-ran an item with Tony Benn and one of his sons discussing the latter's G-Whiz. It was claimed that the it was equivalent to a 600 mpg petrol car but there was no explanation of how this was calculated. Did they just mean in terms of cost?

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/listenagain/thurs...l
G Whizz crash safety scare. - KMO
Sigh. Yes, but it's still cleaner and more efficient overall, even if you're using polluting electricity generation. It's much easier to deal with pollution from burning fossil fuels in one power station than in tens of thousands of cars, and you can burn the fuel more efficiently.

But even more importantly, shock horror, you now have the option of using cleaner and renewable electricity sources to power your car. Not going to get tidal barrages or wind turbines producing petrol now, are you?

As the electricity gets cleaner and more renewable, so does an electric car.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - KMO
Oh, and yes, that 600mpg was almost certainly a cost calculation. Yuck. I wish people wouldn't try to give electric cars mpg figures. You might as well calculate how many bales of hay per day your petrol car requires.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - Group B
What the hell is a 'quadrocycle'??
Looks like a car to me.

According to VOSA's definition a quadricycle must weigh under 400kg unladen (inc. without batteries) and have maximum net power of 15kW. ie. something too small, slow, and carp to be classed as a car. That 700cc quad bike should be quite a bit too powerful to fit the criteria. ;o)

G Whizz crash safety scare. - J Bonington Jagworth
So it should really compared with a quadricycle (which presumably is what the rest of use think of as a quad-bike) which is probably a lot more hazardous. Anyone who thinks a G-Wiz should be tested to the same standards as a Lexus or X5 is either unhinged or a Health and Safety inspector.

I ride a motorbike, in the sure knowledge that I am more vulnerable than when I am driving. This doesn't stop me, however, and claiming that G-Wizzes are dangerous (as all the tabloids have, apparently) is pandering to those who would stop everyone doing anything that involves any risk at all. So far, I gather, no-one driving a G-Wiz has actually been hurt...
G Whizz crash safety scare. - Aprilia
Electric cars have a number of advantages - partularly in congested city traffic. In particular the 'distributed' vehicle pollution is 'shifted' away from the city to one location where it can be treated. And of course many forms of electricity generation do not involve fossil fuels.

Another of the advantages of the electric car in city is that it does not consume any energy when it is not moving (e.g. in a stationary traffic queue). The IC engine is massively inefficient in slow moving/stationary trafffic of course. So all those queuing cars are throwing out pollution and using a lot of fuel to no useful purpose.

In terms of safety then of course it is not as safe as a larger vehicle. But then its probably safer than a bike or moped and I guess you are less likely to be tempted into a potentially suicidal manoeuver in one.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - fossyant
Still safer than a motor bike or pedal bike, plus you don't get wet when it rains.

These things can do 40, but so can a motorbike (lets say 150 mph) but so can bicycles on the flat (given the right rider). The G-Whizz is safer than those two.

Can see it's uses on traffic jammed commutes when the owner can't use other methods.

Me, I wouldn't buy one. Still like real cars, and pedal bikes !
G Whizz crash safety scare. - Lud
Seen at least two or three today, swerving silently about.

They aren't serious and I wouldn't have one, but I don't actively object to other people having them.

Didn't know they were Indian. Thought they cost 8k. They are a bit small.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - The Lawman
If they are unsafe in a crash, then the only people carrying the risk are the occupants.

If this country was organised on more sensible lines, it would be left up to the individual to choose, but oh no, we can't be allowed to go and make our own decisions can we? We have to ask a nice man from Brussels to make them for us.
G Whizz crash safety scare. - Lud
It's worse than that Lawman. Our own faffing politicians ask them and they do it. We don't ask them ourselves.
"It's worse than that"

Indeed. We've only just avoided a total ban on Imperial measures:

www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6618585,00.h...l

although no doubt it is only a postponement. This in a country where distances are still measured in miles, beer in pints and babies in pounds and ounces! (Although of course you can be prosecuted for using the latter to sell groceries...)
If you think the G-Wiz looks vaguely familiar, you're not wrong:

www.imps4ever.info/specials/enfield/index.html

Another unappreciated British invention!

I now work on the site of the old Enfield factory. There were one or two on the roads here in the 70's and they went rather well. In fact (in a former life) I once X-rayed a fitter from Enfield's who had connected the wires at the wrong moment and run himself over...