Pug 306 engine removal - cabsmanuk
I have a 1995 306 turbo diesel (no air con) that needs the cambelt renewing and all the advice is that it is a bit of a fiddly job requiring engine mounts being removed etc. Ideally I would like to renew the water pump at the same time but that would probably make the job even more difficult so I am considering removing the engine and gearbox altogether, fitting a new belt, water pump and clutch whilst I'm at it. If this had been either my old Anglia/Cortina/A35, I wouldn't think twice about whipping out the engine and gearbox - as I did many times. Do any backroomers think this is a sensible idea?
Pug 306 engine removal - thomp1983
it's easier to leave it in for a belt change, water pump is only 5 bolts once belt is of, just need to check if yours has th deflector plate or not for when you order a new one.

if you jack the sump up(make sure you use a block of wood on the jack) to take the weight of the engine then remove the drivers side engine mount you'll have plenty of space. for timing pins use the 2 biggest bolts from the intercooler and a 5mm allen key for the gearbox timing hole. if you replace both tensioners, the right hand one is held in place by one of the bolts for the engine mount. for moving the tensioner i use a 3/8 extension and ratchet. think that covers most of the facts, other thing is the rear bolt for the upper cover is a different size to the rest it's 11mm iirc

chris
Pug 306 engine removal - RichardW
I've done both jobs on a ZX TD - although I didn't change the water pump. For the 2 jobs alone I wouldn't be tempted to pull the lump out, however, if you wanted to keep it, then pulling it out and changing the belt + tensioners, water pump, heater hoses down the back of the engine, the water pump plastic inlet housing and the clutch cable, it might start to be worth looking at if you have got an engine crane and can have it off the road for a few days. The cambelt can be done in an afternoon, and the clutch in a day. No real problems on either - except the 11mm bolt down the back of the top cover; the 22mm v tight crank shaft bolt; needing a 35mm deep socket to undo the hub huts; and the pull clutch (haynes gives good description of how to get this back together).
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....