If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Matt Kelly
I'd be short of coolant wouldn't I ?

Just trying to locate the source of a large puddle in the front passenger footwell after yesterday's heavy rain. Coolant level OK and the liquid didn't smell or taste funny. I've recently had the aerial replaced (it's over the nearside front wheel arch) and I'm wondering if that's been done properly.

Any ideas ?
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - David W
Matt,

Very likely to be ingress due to poor sealing at bulkhead cable entry points, often made worse by blocked drain ducts in that area that allows it to fill.

David
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Matt Kelly
Thanks Dave, I thought that it was likely to be something to do with the aerial replacement.
The stupid thing is, I got it done professionally because the car was in having glass repaired from break in (see earlier thread re tinted windows). On my previous Golf some low lifes snapped the aerial off and I replaced it myself (v. fiddly) and it never leaked !

It's due for MOT in about a month, I'll get it looked at then and hope that we have another 23 day dry spell in desert like mid - Essex.
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - john
Also check that the drain holes aren't blocked on the bulkhead. If the water lays there on ours, once its 1" deep it fills the mat well inside.
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
MkII Golfs suffer from heater matrix failure due to over-pressure. There is a VAG recall on all MkII's for the fitment of a pressure relief valve. Check your car has been *done* - it's free of charge also.

It could, however, easily be the above suggestions - check the door seal (between door panel and door) also.
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Rob F
My Mk2 leaked through the heater fan intake. There was a big mouldy patch where the heater duct insulation kept getting wet too.

The grille on top of the intake has a gasket underneath that wasn't sealing properly. I covered mine with vaseline and clipped it back on.

Also water leaked in along the bonnet release cable and dripped all over the fuse box - not good. Vaseline cured this too. Wonderful stuff!

(Why vaseline? Ordinary grease 'melts' rubber, making it go soft and perish.)

Regards,

Rob F
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
A Mk2 I recently bought had this problem. Traced it back to the flimsy plastic 'tray' between the engine bulkhead and windscreen had cracked allowing rainwater to run into the blower. Wonderful stuff 'Ducktape'!
Re: If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Richard Hall
Mk2s with the factory sunroof often leak, due to the drain tubes from the sunroof surround becoming blocked. I drove around for several months with my sunroof sealed with Duck tape until someone suggested running a piece of wire down the drain tubes. Worked perfectly.
If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - junkit
matt, I read you changed the aerial on your MkII. How do I go about doing it?
If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - sean
You mention the heater matrix problem.

This goes all the way back to 1984.

ALL VWs built from then to 1991 are entitled to a free bypass valve fitment in the cabin heater pipework, or matrix exchange (dash out job) if you ask at a registered VW dealer.

Credit HF, volvoman, eMBe, Renaultfamily. All the usual suspects in fact.

If your matrix goes, you are showered in steam and scalding water. No need to ask, in fact.

Remember where you read it, my friend.
If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - HF
Sean - thank you for allowing my name to appear as a credit on Tech! It's certainly a first for me. (actually a second, long ago when I was first here someone had a similar alternator problem to mine and I actually did a valid suggestion).

May my name always appear first on your list, and apologies to the thread author for my irrelevance.
If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Soupytwist
Thanks Sean but I no longer own the car in question (1990 Mk2 GTI) so it's a bit academic.

I never got to the bottom of why it happened but it wasn't a problem that re-occurred.

You may be pleased to learn that I traded it in for a Seat Ibiza with the 100 bhp PD diesel engine. The service manager at the Seat dealership was last seen checking over the Golf with a view to having it himself. He commented that it had been well looked after.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - leeboy
My heater Matrix ruptured yesterday with the effects you describe. I checked with VW and they say it has already been done at an earlier recall(before I bought the car.). Do you know if VW would be liable to re-do it?
If the heater matrix in my Golf had packed up - Soupytwist
Junkit
It wasn't on the car that is the subject of this thread, it was on my previous MK2 Golf which I wrote off on the M25.

From very hazy memory you have to remove the plastic covering that protects the wheel arch in order to get at the base of the aerial and unscrew the old aerial from the base. There?s a long arm type thing that comes down the inside of the wing to make the whole assembly a bit stiffer if I recall correctly. You also have to remove the existing stereo head unit to remove the aerieal wire from the back of that and pull it through to the bulk head under the windscreen it?s a good idea to attach some string to the aerial cable plug so that you?ve always got something to pull on from the dashboard side. At this point I couldn?t really work out how to get the new aerial cable threaded through the bulk head and replace the grommet that it passes through so in the end I cut the existing aerial lead just on the engine side of the bulkhead and connected the new aerial lead wires to the old one and bodged a tape repair to make it vaguely waterproof. Then I could pull the plug to go in the radio back through using the piece of string. It was still working when we got rid of the car.

I think that I got detailed instructions from someone on the ClubGTI forum or maybe it was so long ago that I got instructions from one of the VW newsgroups.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.