saab 93 (Y-2000) egr valve faults - Jeff the Shimy
I have owned this car since 11000 miles and at first it was fitted with four egr valves in its first four years. Some brought on the engine management light (EML) some the dealer said were faulty and just changed them. The car has now done over 113,000 miles and the EML comes on when the car had done about 30miles or so. Sometimes its a quick flash that drops it out of cruise control, some times it goes into limp home mode. If you stop for about 15 to 30 minutes it resets and you can continue with normal engine power. It strikes me that the valves are too complex and precision for the job they do. I have the electronic system without any vaccuum conection, my question is can I remove the valve from the manifold and blank the port? How does this valve work is it temperature sensitive? If it sticks sometimes and I remove it from the source of the problem I reason that I can eliminate the problem. I can control emmissions by moving to fully synthetic oil! Any advice on this??

PS. I have seen the mass air meter mentioned in questions of loss of power, this unit usually causes the engine to surge, that is you put your foot down and there is a delay in the power coming on, a bit like gentle turbo lag. Take it off and clean in an alcahol based cleaner or replace it. Be careful its very delicate.