Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Dan29

Hi all

It seemed that the screenwash pump on my Y reg Mondeo estate had packed up, so I fitted a replacement one yesterday, but this doesn't work either; when operating the switch the wipers come on but there's no motor sound from the pump.

The 'new' pump is in fact secondhand, so it may also be faulty. Another option I've considered is a blown fuse, but there doesn't seem to be one for the screenwash pump, and none of the fuses seem blown anyway. The only other thing I can think of is a wire has come off somewhere.

So does anyone know where the likely failure points in the wiring are please, or the best way of testing where the fault lies?

Thanks very much
Dan
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - cheddar
Put a multimeter, or wire a spare bulb, to the screenwash motor feed and check for voltage when the switch is opperated. Perhaps it could be the switch itself.
Thanks very much. I don't know much about electrics; would any multimeter from Maplin etc do? None of them seem to specify that they will operate at 12V.
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Dynamic Dave
would any multimeter from Maplin etc do?

Yep.
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Number_Cruncher
Use a bulb - next time you are in a scrapyard, take off a front indicator corner unit and its attached wiring. Cut, and strip some of the insulation off the ends of the wires, and you have a reasonable, cheap test lamp. Connect the test lamp in place of your washer pump, and you can test the circuit.

See Yorkiebar's recent VW Transporter thread about how multimeters can be troublesome when fault finding.

Number_Cruncher
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Collos25
Just put the meter set on resistance across the ends of the disconnected pump you should get a reading ,then put the meter set on 12v dc across the incoming cable with the washers switched on you should see 13volts.
Thanks very much for all your replies.

I get 11.5V for the rear washer and -11.5V for the front so obviously the switch, wiring etc are ok.

I get a reading of 1.1 for the resistance across the ends of the pump; I'm not sure what this means.

Do you think I've been sold a knackered pump?!

Thanks
Dan
If you tested with the multimeter, was the pump connected at the time?

Number_Cruncher
If you tested with the multimeter was the pump connected at the time?

No - not sure what I'd stick me probes on if the pump was connected..?!
>>I get 11.5V for the rear washer and -11.5V for the front so obviously the switch, wiring etc are ok.>>

-11.5v could be because you have the polarity the wrong way around, in fact assuming you disconnected the pump and measured the voltage when the switch was operated and the -11.5v reading displayed as a result of the switch being operated (i.e. the reading was not there until the switch was operated) then I would say that you definately had the polarity the wrong war round and the switch and circuit are fine meaning that the pump is duff.
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Dynamic Dave
-11.5v could be because you have the polarity the wrong way around

I'm guessing it's just one pump for both the front and rear screen. In which case, by powering up the motor in one direction squirts the front screen, but when you reverse the polarity to the motor it then squirts the rear screen.

In which case the wiring and wiper stalk switch are ok and it's the pump that's at fault. Seeing as you fitted a 2nd hand pump, that one may well be duff as well. Bite the bullet and buy a new pump. They're not that expensive.
I'm guessing it's just one pump for both the front and rear screen. >>

Actually I think you are right, either way - new pump time.
>>n which case the wiring and wiper stalk switch are ok

You are most probably right - but, if the circuit wasn't drawing any current, the multimeter tests could be misleading.

For example, if the connection to earth is a bit dodgy, the resistance of the multimeter will still dominate and measure 12volts, while a test lamp, which loads the circuit would never light because all the voltage drop would then be across the dodgy earth.

This is why I was asking about whether the pump was in circuit or not.

It's possible that both pumps that the OP has are duff, but it is still possible for the fault to be elsewhere. Testing with a 21W bulb would remove the doubt.

Number_Cruncher
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Jonny
.*******
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - Richard M
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the pipes of these pumps as they seem very firmly attached. I know they are only a push fit but I cannot pull mine off.
Thanks
RichardM
I had to grip the pipes with a pair of pliars and pull the pump really hard once it was already disconnected from the reservoir and electrics; not ideal but they were determined not to budge.

Thanks everyone for your help - I think Halfords sell a generic pump for about £20 so I'll get one of those if the local motor factor doesn't have anything in stock.
Mondeo mk3 screenwash pump - bell boy
i use a bit of heat from my stock poundland lighter for these jobs
Yep heating the pipes up does make them more pliable.

All sorted now by using a new pump from Halfords; the secondhand pump I bought was obviously dodgy.

Thanks very much everyone for your help.

Dan
I will give the pipes the heat treatment mentioned. Still I suppose it is better than the previous model's habit of blowing them off at regular intervals.

RichardM
Which way did you get to the pump? Was it from underneath having removed the undershield or did you remove the wing liner?
RichardM