Mondeo 2litre Head Gasket - stuartl
Its a very, very long story but the upshot of it all is that I have a Mondeo 2 litre petrol with a knackered head gasket. I have changed a couple of head gaskets on my old crossflow kit car but how much more complex is the Mondeo (its a 1997) I appreciate it is DOHC and the timing will need setting up before dismantling but is this a nightmare job or a not too bad one?

Thanks in anticipation!
Mondeo 2litre Head Gasket - bell boy
i put my hand up and say thankfully never done one
ive known grown men cry doing these
they are a bit hit and miss when done
decide if its really worth the effort
Mondeo 2litre Head Gasket - TurboD
I would have said the same, having only worked on old fashioned heads, but then my lad bought an import MR2 and we soon learnt to fettle modern motors, big time.That had a DOHC and turbo and intercooler etc.
we rebuilt the engine, the head was easier than I thought. as long as you have decent instructions on the timing, and label everthing you take off carefully, and take pictures, it is easy to forget where stuff goes, as there are so many bits.
I say do it, the car is worthless anyway , in effect ( I have a much later Mondy and I know how they depreciate)
Thanks Turbo, it is a nice car and all the elec's work (it's a Ghia so there are plenty) so it would be nice to get the old lady running well again. It's going to be a project now I feel so I wont be 'hurrying to get it working for work on Monday' if you get my drift. I shall let you know how it goes.....................
Mondeo 2litre Head Gasket - Jonny
now then mate, they arnt all that bad, how technically minded are you? and how much experience have you had with timing up engines correctly? If you want to get it timed up correctly your best bet is to speak to a local ford dealership or local garage that has auto data on a computer they'll be able to do a printout of the exact procedure to time up the head and remove it. only problem is you wont have the correct locking tools to time the engine up but this can be solved by paint marks.
Hi Jonny. I have changed a few cam belts before so know how to time it up; I did it on an astra td last time and I got the idea that when setting the engine up for a dismantle (or partial dismantle) it was a case of check check and check again. I have the necessary tools and understand the importance of cleaning off the old gasket and faces etc and tightening sequence.

On my Astra ( a 1999 V reg) two M6 bolts locked the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket in place.

As an earlier poster said, these cars are worth very little money-wise so I have relatively little to lose.

Jonny, thanks for your rather more positive response, I shall let you know the outcome.

Kind Regards

Stuart
If I remember rightly it a little bit different to time up a mondeo 2.0 zetec engine, as for locking tools you can use a bit of angle iron into the back of the cam shafts and to time the crank up there should be a hole in the side of the block towards the front of the engine this requires a special tool, you couls get round this by paint marking the crank shaft pully while the cams are locked
Another bit of info when you rebuild the engine and are putting the cam belt back on, because the cam shafts have locked with your angle iron you need to find a way of holding the pully securely as to not put the cam shaft under strain then undo both cam shaft pulley bolts these pulleys are taper fitted not a wood ruff key then if you give them a slight knock from the back with a punch and hammer you will find the pulleys spin freely and cam shaft stays still. This will ease putting the cam belt on as you can get your tension on the right side of the belt and slack on the tensioning side. Tension the belt then tighten up the cam shaft pulleys hope this makes it easier.
Thanks again Jonny. Looks like a Haynes manual is on my shopping list for this weekend! Makes sense about the pullys. Tips like that can make the world of difference.

I'll likely tackle it next weekend.

Regards

Stuart