Auction DVLA notification - stonefish

Has anyone else picked up on what HJ reported yesterday ?

In the auction report, the following was reported:

'Please note that to help prevent cars disappearing Auctions are now obliged to submit buyers details to the DVLA and the charge for this is £23.50'.

So on top of the buyers premium there presumably is another £23.50 charge. Ten years ago, a private buyer had to pay less than £100 indemnity for a £2000 car. Now, with the extra charges, it will be over £200.

All they have to do is compile a list of buyers names and addresses of each vehicle from ID shown by the buyer (eg licence/utility bill/council tax bill etc) and send an A4 envelope in the post with the list and a back up email. How can it cost £23.50 for each record ?

Auction DVLA notification - Stuartli
It was noted and duly recorded as yet another stealth tax...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Auction DVLA notification - Aprilia
I think this is actually a good idea. Anyone who has been to a salvage aution will have seen large numbers of East Europeans buying damaged cars for cash, 'repairing' them on the spot and then driving off. I saw 3 guys (Albanian I think) buy a old Lexus LS with front bumper and light damage. They just tugged at it a bit, then jumped in and drove off. This is happening all over the country.
I don't necessarily disagree with it but I don't know where £23.50 comes into it. In any case anyone with a 'underhand agenda' who is determined will find a way around any checks.
Auction DVLA notification - bell boy
Aprilia there shouldnt be any salvage auction where details of buyers and cars are not logged
Its an abi recommendation and even any decent salvage breaker will demand these details before allowing you to purchase as otherwise a paper trail will come back to haunt.

With regards this new auction charge its a stealth tax to go with the new £25 v5 application charge that came in today

The motorist is scammed every which way but loose

How long before you have to pay for a certificate of destruction
so you dont get a 3am call by the police?
Auction DVLA notification - hxj

So how much would you want to get paid to do that?

Or have you offered your services to the auction house for free? :-)
The big salvage auctions log details - the smaller ones don't necessarily. I have bought salvage for cash and no questions from a couple of the smaller W. Midlands places (you know the ones I mean).
Getting buyer details of any car is a good idea IMHO and helps the DVLA keep track of vehicles - the £23.50 charge is another matter though, but I guess DVLA are not out of line with many other organisations. I am just about to change some minor insurance details and I very much doubt they will be doing it for free - I am expecting £15-25 charge to be applied.
Interestingly, I have looked at the Manheim and BCA sties under 'Latest news'.
I can find no reference for this new development. The DVLA website says nothing either.
Auction DVLA notification - pd
Who is making this charge? The DVLA or are BCA just adding to their already horrendously high private buyers premium?

Aucitons have always notified the DVLA (the legit ones anyway). If you're a trade buyer they send off the yellow slip and you get the wole V5, if you're private you get the green slip and they send the V5 off. This has been the case for ages. Auctions have also been obliged to ask for some concrete ID for this.

I've heard or seen nothing about the DVLA suddenly charging for a change of ownership - is this on their website somewhere?
Auction DVLA notification - bathtub tom
OM wrote "How long before you have to pay for a certificate of destruction
so you dont get a 3am call by the police? "

This could put an end to people digging an 'ole, and burying their vehicle in it:
A mates motorbike.
J.G. Parry-Thomas Pendine sands
Auction DVLA notification - Bromptonaut
£23.50 looks very much like £20 plus VAT, so i guess is the auction house's fee for completing the formwork. Govt would charge £20 or £25 to keep the figures round.
Auction DVLA notification - Dave N
It would be nice if DVLA got it's existing records correct first, before taking on even more data.
Well, I've only heard it about from this site. So no idea who is making the charge or what the rules are. I think a lot of auctions can be a bit sloppy about checking buyer ID - they are most concerned with getting their money, obviously. It could be that DVLA as being more rigorous on the returns and the auction house is charging for their admin.
The more I look at this the more sure I am it is just BCA deciding to charge an unjustifiable £20+VAT for doing which they have been doing for years anyway. I can't see anything has changed - they have always been required to inform the DVLA of the buyer. No doubt Manheim will follow suit soon (where on of the duopoly go, the other quickly follows).

Good news if you have a BCA account though as it is just another thing to put non-account holders off. ;)
I agree, I now think it is BCA charging for sending off a log book. Technically, however, in law an auction is a 'trade environment' and someone who buys a car at auction is classed as a trader (as trading standards often point out).

Therefore, by definition, anyone who buys a car at auction should be given the complete V5 other than the yellow trader section which goes to the DVLA. I have heard that BCA do not do this and only give 'private buyers' the green section of the V5.
If you do not hold an account (i.e. a MyBCA Card) with your details as a trader BCA will not give you the whole V5 - only the slip and send the rest to the DVLA. I'm not so sure about Manheim but I suspect they do the same.

Both ask private buyers for various forms of ID (utility bill, bank statement, driving licence etc.) to prove who they are and their address. 9/10 people never seem to have the necessary paperwork and an argument ensues.
Manheim will normally supply the buyer with the complete V5 either way.