My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-Max - a900ss
I?ve recently changed my car to a Ford S-Max and here are my thoughts after my first month.

I have come from a BMW 320d touring, 2004 and 119,000 miles. In that time NOTHING went wrong, not even a bulb blew. However, with a new baby and starting up a part-time photography business, I needed more space than the ?lifestyle? German estates could offer. I looked at a lot of cars, including the Touran, Grand Picasso, Verso, Grand Scenic, Mercedes B Class, as well as other estate cars.

I drive 40,000 miles per year so comfort is important as well as fuel economy. I pay for all my own fuel and therefore economy is something I couldn?t overlook. I also needed a practical car to carry all my photo gear and baby ?stuff?. I didn?t need 7 seats, just 5 seats and a huge boot.

The S-Max I chose was a 1.8TDCi Titanium X. The options I added were metallic paint and ESP. I find it absolutely ridiculous that Ford penny pinch by not fitting ESP as standard onto what is quite obviously a family car. This has now been rectified from cars manufactured May 07 onwards. I have now driven 3,300 miles in my S-Max.

Performance and Economy
Most of my driving is on the motorway at about 70MPH. I do mostly long distance, the engine always fully warms and I don?t really ?stretch? the engine. I chose the 1.8 diesel over the 2.0 as it delivers everything I want from it. Sure, it?s nowhere near as quick as my old beemer but it never lacks for normal driving and overtaking. I have been told that the 2.0 is considerably more ?punchy? than the 1.8 I have but I?m certainly not complaining. I have it 6 up and the engine didn?t struggle at all. I guess if I was towing, the 2.0 plant would be the one to go for. One thing I?ve discovered is that sitting higher up than I used to, I can generally start my overtaking earlier than I could in my old BMW. In reality thin means that my slower S-Max can take all the overtakes that my old BMW could. The flip-side of this smaller engine is fantastic economy once you completely disregard the fuel computer. It is one lying son of a gun, upto 20% out!!! Last fill-up, it thought I was getting 54 MPG, I was actually getting 45MPG. Now 45MPG in a car of this size is fantastic. Like I said, I do mostly motorway work but this economy is terrific. When the car first came it delivered about 42 MPG but this has been creeping up tank by tank to the current 45MPG. I expect it to keep increasing until the engine is fully loosened up, I guess that?ll be about 10,000 mils for a diesel. I?m hoping to get to 48MPG but even if it stays at 45MPG, I can?t really complain. The gearing is about 34MPH/1000RPM in sixth. I can use 6th quite comfortably from about 50MPH provided I don?t come across a steep hill.

Ride and Handling
Simply a revelation!!! For a big car, this really dances. OK, it?s FWD rather than RWD but this is one entertaining car. It would be good even if it was a saloon, the fact it?s an MPV ? that?s a neat trick Ford have pulled off. It you like to have fun in the twisties, I?m an ex-biker, this is the ONLY MPV to go for. Forget your Zafira?s and the like, this is the one. Coming from a lowered BMW 3 series with sports suspension, this car is only a small sacrifice in handling vs. that car.
The ride was also quite a revelation. I have the 18? alloys fitted and it still rides considerably better that my BMW used to. I hear the bumps, feel them slightly but it?s still very good. The turning circle of the car on 18? wheels is limited over those cars on 16? wheels (steering rack limiter so the wheels don?t hit the internal wheel arches) and isn?t that great in a tight car park.

Refinement
This is a good long distance car. Seats are much more comfortable than the BMW, not quite as good as a Volvo though. The front seats are sports seats with bolstered side cushions and really do hold you well. Noise from the large windscreen isn?t too bad and is probably what I expected. The gearbox is quite notchy until it is fully warmed (10 miles or 15 minutes) and requires a firm shove to put it into gear. Once the gearbox fluids are fully warmed, the gearbox is a delight and slots home really nicely.

Quality
This was the real area I was concerned over coming from 3 German cars (BMW 3 series, Audi A4, VW Golf Mk IV). Yes, it is a step down from those cars. You most notice it in the doors when they shut, they don?t have that Germanic thud I?m used to. The plastics used in the car are varying. Up front, they are quite close to what I?ve been used to. The switches, although not quite as tactile as German cars, move with precision and have a nice feel to them. It does get worse as you move back through the car. The plastics do have a cheaper feel the further back you go; my old BMW had the quality throughout the car. It?s the silly things that make the difference like the BMW had a hydraulic strut to lift and hold the bonnet open. In the S-Max, you use your own muscle to lift the bonnet and prop it open with a metal strut. Silly, I know but small things like this make the difference. However, let?s be realistic. If this car was made by BMW or Audi, it wouldn?t have had a list price of £24500, it would be nearer £34500!!!

Behind the Wheel
I?ve read all the reports that say this is the least MPV-like of all the MPV?s and I was expecting to sit a lot lower than you actually do. You do sit above most of the traffic and it does offer a fantastic view ahead. Not to sure about the view to the side and forward though, the A-Pillars are quite thick and you could easily lose a motorcyclist in them. I guess that?s the price to pay for 5 star safety, active safety vs. passive safety equation is a bit skewed. It is a big car but when you are going along the road, you don?t really notice the bulk. The headlights on this car are a sensation. Mine has the AFS option that use your steering inputs the bend the lights around corners. It sounds like a marketing ploy but it really is good. Once you get used to it, you don?t want to go back and I reckon all cars will have these in the next few years. My car also has the panoramic roof. Panoramic is subjective here, Peugeot owners wouldn?t call it panoramic as it starts just above your head and also has a central strut in the middle for torsional rigidity. Also, it comes with 2 MANUAL blinds, the front one you can open whilst driving but no chance with the back one. Surely these blinds should be electric and this is Ford penny pinching again. Ford have also penny pinched on one of the switches inside the car. The master control of the electric windows has an illuminated switch to let you know if you have disabled the rear windows or not. Unfortunately the illumination is only on the right side of the switch and it can?t be seen due to the door handle!!!! On LHD cars, you would be able to see the light. Come on Ford, this is basic stuff. Another moan, whilst I?m at it ? do I really need SIX buttons for the cruise control ? I don?t think so!!! I?m all for steering wheel controls but I have SEVENTEEN buttons on my steering wheel including the horn, quite excessive really. I also think only 2 power points, one up front, one in the boot is a bit mean.

Space and Practicality
Let?s get one thing straight right now ? THIS IS NOT A MID-SIZE MPV. If you think it is, you haven?t been inside an S-Max. It is huge. It is both longer and wider than the old Galaxy/Sharan (as well as the Citroen C8/Pug 807 and Renault Espace). This car is a full size MPV that has just been ?styled?. The roof slopes down at the back and that means that the rear 2 seats don?t? have the same room as the full sized MPV?s mentioned above. When you compare the S-Max to the Touran, Zafira, etc they are just not in the same class. The second row of seats has legroom to rival a limo. I don?t really need the rear 2 seats, although I have used them, so this presents no problem. You can get adults in the back two seats but I?d say for an hour at most. Kids won?t have any issues in the back. Also, when the rear two seats are in place, I can still get my daughter?s ?Jane? pram behind the seats. This car is also very wide. It has three full size seats across the second row and you can get a child seat on each. Not many cars will comfortably take three child seats. Whilst I don?t want my loins to be that active, I?m sure that is of interest to some of you reading this!!! Watch the width in car parks though ? modern car parks aren?t designed for cars this wide and you may end up with dented/scratched doors as other cars open their doors up on your car!!!

Summary
All in all this is a great car. It is designed for the family that has upto 3 kids and needs to transport all their rubbish around as well. When the kids aren?t in the car, it delivers as a fine driving machine as well. Quality is good, not quite as good as a BMW but MUCH better than I was expecting from a Ford. It?s economical; 45MPG for this size of car is amazing. It also has plenty of go, my 1.8TDCi isn?t slow but if you need more get the 2.0TDCi. I have no problem recommending this car. If you need more info, go to www.smaxownersclub.co.uk and I can be contacted there if you want any specific information, my user name is a900ss.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - Blue {P}
Nice one, a very well written review!

Pleased she's not giving you any bother, I sold my aunt a C-Max once and regretted it a bit, they simply hadn't finished developing it properly, it sounds like they've done better with this one!

Blue
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - cheddar
Interesting review!

>>In the S-Max, you use your own muscle to lift the bonnet and prop it open with a metal strut. Silly, I know but small things like this make the difference.>>

The Mk III Mondeo has gas struts as will, no doubt the Mk IV, the bonnet on the S-Max/Galaxy is shorter and stubbier so either the struts will simply not fit in the space available or the angle of the opening once fully open is greater than gas struts can accomodate.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - DP
Nice review.

I would have really liked an S-Max but it sadly it was just well outside budget, so we went for a 2 and a bit year old Grand Scenic.

A colleague has an S-Max 1.8 TDCi Zetec as a company car, and he's put 8,000 miles on it in 6 weeks. Not a single thing has gone wrong. He loves it to bits.

Enjoy!!

Cheers
DP
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - henry k
Bonnet gas struts.
It maybe worth enquiring further about this.

e.g the Mk 1/2 Mondeo comes with a simple prop it up strut even on my Ghia X.
A standard mod for about £20 is to fit VX Corsa B gas struts. I plan to do this.
They just fit in existing holes in the bodywork.

It may just be Ford bean counters at work again.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - a900ss
Excellent review a900ss. And thanks for the link to the club now installed in cbcb.
HJ

Thanks for adding the link HJ.

a900ss
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - Marc
Hasn't the SMax pinched sales from the new Galaxy? ie it offers all the space most people need but in a more stylish package. Don't see that many new Galaxys around
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - rtj70
I believe both S-MAX and Galaxy are selling ahead of expectations, especially the S-MAX. And why would Ford really mind (apart from S-MAX slightly cheaper) if people bought the S-MAX instead? They are both built on the same production lines so it is not as if the line has nothing to build. And the new Mondeo is now being built alongside too.

I actually see more Galaxy's than S-MAX's near to where I live.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-Max - Brian Tryzers
More Galaxy than S-Max here (Midlands) too. Despite its bulk, I think the Galaxy is the better-looking of the two - it has some well-judged chrome detailing that the 'sporty' S-Max has to do without. I was followed the other day by a Blue Ambition (why not Ambition Blue?) S-Max, though, and I think I'd be quite happy to park one of those outside Beest Lodge.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - quizman

Good review a900ss, you should get a job at Whatcar or Autocar, you do a far better test report than they can manage these days.
The S-max is selling well, the Galaxy not so. Exactly due to the fact that the S-Max delivers most of what the Galaxy can but is cheaper and more stylish (in my opinion). Ford are fighting back though and the Galaxy is getting really good discounts Vs the S-Max.

a900ss
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - cheddar
IMO the S-Max looks a lot more sporty being lower though the rear side windows and tailgate on the Galaxy are perhaps more attractive.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - DP
I see a lot more Galaxies on the road than S-Maxs, which I can't personally understand as I think the S-Max looks fabulous. It's a strange car in that it looks huge until you see it next to a Mondeo / Vectra sized car and realise it's barely any bigger at all.

Very clever!

Cheers
DP
It's a strange car in that it
looks huge until you see it next to a Mondeo / Vectra sized car and
realise it's barely any bigger at all.
Very clever!
Cheers
DP

Personally, I think it looks smaller than it actually is!!!

However, you do lead me onto a relevant point. The reason that the S-Max is so much bigger inside than the Mid-Size MPV's is because it's built on the New Volvo S80/New Ford Mondeo Platform. Mid-Size MPV's are generally based on smaller cars: Touran (Golf), Scenic (Megane), Zafira (Astra), Mazda 5 (Ford focus), etc...

a900ss
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - Mad Maxy
I read the other day that the S-Max is 143% ahead of projected sales. And Ford prodiuced it on a bit of a hunch. Clearly taking the risk has paid off big-time. Seems to me that the Galaxy is competing with the Grand Espace - and nothing else?

I remember reading a WotCar test in which they said that an S-Max minus was too much road noise Anyone found that a problem?
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - Marc
Saw a new Galaxy on the M4 this morning - in metallic tomato! Looked quite good actually
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - Brian Tryzers
Didn't notice much road noise in the one I tried - I remember being impressed at how quiet and relaxed even the 1.8D was at cruising speed. Maybe tyres have an effect - this was a Zetec on 16" wheels.
I remember reading a WotCar test in which they said that an S-Max minus was
too much road noise Anyone found that a problem?

Personally, I don't find my car noisy and I do drive mostly motorway miles so if it was noisy, it should stand out. Also, my car is fitted with the wide 235/45 18 inch tyres, not condusive to a quiet ride!!!

However, I have heard (pun intended) of others complaining of this and there is a very cheap and easy fix. Open the panels in the rear wheelarches where you would replace the rear light bulbs. In there, you will find quite a large void over the rear wheels. I know of several people that have filled these voids with roof insulation. It's cheap and apparantly does reduce the road noise.
I remember reading a WotCar test in which they said that an S-Max minus was
too much road noise Anyone found that a problem?

I've got some more data on this that might explain the 'noise' issue. We done a little poll on the smaxownerswebsite and the results are quite interesting.

All owners with 16" wheels think their car is not noisy.
All owners with 17" and 17" wheels where the tyre is a Continental think their cars are not noisy
About half of the 17"/18" wheel owners that have Michelin tyres think that their cars ARE noisy.

Perhaps it's a tyre thing, Conti's quiet, Michelin not so quiet.
Well the car has now done nearly 14,000 miles in 4 months so I think it?s time for a brief update.

Since new the car has now averaged a true 44.2MPG (the trip computer claims a lot more!!!) and for a car of this size I think that?s fantastic. On one occasion I have even delivered an average 50MPG from a thankful.

I must admit that most of my driving is on the motorway and obeying the speed limit but still a good result, I think.

The rest of the car is still delivering; it handles well, is comfortable and will tackle any family task thrown at it. I am still amazed by the adaptive headlights fitted to this car, they ?bend? around corners and additional lights come on for really sharp bends. It sounds a gimmick but it really works.

Everybody that goes for a ride in the car also comments on how plush it is and they think of it as a quality car to be driven in. It probably helps that mine is top of the range with leather/alcantara interior and the toys that go with the Titanium X pack though?

I have a couple of friends that are REAL badge snobs and I didn?t really give the S-Max a chance with them but they were impressed as well. I nearly fainted!!!

Now on to the bad points:

Well today was the first time I experienced any ?poor? build quality. The top of the arm rest came away in my hand. It is held on by two screws that couldn?t have been tightened up properly in the factory and have undone themselves over time. Apart from that nothing has broken.

However, I do fear that I won?t be able to say the same in the future.

My car is exhibiting signs of dual mass flywheel breakdown. I cruise at about 2000 RPM on the m/way in 6th (about 70 MPH) and this is also a known engine speed on diesel S-Maxes (mostly the 1.8?s though) that can display vibration from the running gear when the car is under load. My car is starting to vibrate (not too bad yet but it?s getting worse) as it goes up motorway hills. It is particularly bad on the M4 heading eastbound as you past junction 15. There is a long hill and it does start to get the drivetrain vibrating. I go up there in 6th at 70MPH and 2,000RPM so it?s not like the engine is labouring. If I change down to 5th the vibration goes. If I speed up to 80 in 6th the vibration goes. If I slow down to 60 in sixth the vibration goes. 2000RPM is the (bad) magic number.

Apart from that my only other complaint (if you are a private buyer ? I?m not) is tyre wear. I?ve done 14,000 miles and I reckon the fronts will only get another 2 ? 2,500 miles. That will be quite expensive as they are 235/45 x 18?s. I know some people will say 16500 miles from a heavy engined FWD car is OK but as most of my driving is constant speed on the motorway I expect a bit more than that.

Overall, very pleased with the car, would certainly recommend it to others and just hope that if my flywheel fails or worsens in the near future that Ford are professional about fixing it.
My 1st month, 3300 miles, with an S-MAx - johnsnc
Personally I'm surprised you mentioned using 6th from about 50mph in your original post. I would have thought this was much too low a speed to use 6th and the engine would be labouring ... whether this would cause your problems I don't know, but my Focus TDCI 2.0 is only happy from maybe 60/65mph in 6th .
Does your handbook provide suggested speeds for the different gears ?
50MPH in 6th is baout 1500 RPm and that's fine for a level road where no real acceleration is needed. It certainly isn't labouring the engine.

The DMF failure is not uncommon on S-Maxes (or many other cars that have them fitted so I hear) so it's really just a heads up for potential buyers.