VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - Richard Hall
I just dragged a 19 year old Polo out of a garden where it had been sitting for 18 months. It was free...

Checked the fluid levels, put a new battery on it and it fired up on the third attempt and ran sweetly. Tried the electrics - everything works!

It needs a couple of tyres and a rear light unit, and the brakes are even worse than normal for a Polo, but the body is rock solid and rust free apart from a small hole at the end of one sill, where it has clouted something and taken the paint off.

Underpowered, underbraked, but simple, solid, cheap to run and dependable - it has to be the new Morris Minor.
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - Keith
Cracking little cars -I bet the cylinder head gasket is leaking oil at the corner though...........
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - Frankie
Recently passed on my '86 , 1.0 litre Polo. Four and a half years of reliable transport for the dog and myself. (the kids were embarressed to be seen in it).it had been waxoyled from new and only had surface rust on battle scarred areas. Four months MOT and a couple of months tax........worth nothing so I swapped it for a bottle of single malt! Work collegues teenage son now drives around happily in the old girl. Give your car away ....you don't have to pay the scrappy and it gives you a warm feeling inside, but maybe that's the scotch!!
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - Phil T
So what was the malt Frankie?
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - peter
And if you dont suffer from intermittent and untraceable rough running you wont be true Polo owner.

PS they are not under braked, you just have to strengthen the right leg. They always stop when the adrenaline kicks in. It is just that you think they wont.
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - Ian Cook
Richard Hall wrote:
>
> Tried the electrics - everything works!

Surely this can't be right. Everyone I know who's had a Polo says they run like clockwork.

Ian
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - Big Vern
Could not agree more, best £70 I ever spent is still going strong in the hands of the girlfriend (89 1050cc 120k hearse). Though I have to agree with Peter they can stop quick enough when you really need them to!! :o)
Re: VW Polo is the new Morris Minor - David W
I have to set aside the Citroen thing for a moment here. The pocket money Polo Ranger we bought for SWMBO just needed the post purchase service and a set of tyres, not a blip since. OK so it's only ten weeks ago but it has gone to work every day and a mile down the farm track each night to do the animals.

Not used any oil or water and quite a nippy thing to drive locally. Just one area of care needed in the Fens. After the BX it replaced the suspension travel and damping are minimal in bumpy corners.

Cheap tax of course and fuel consumption a reasonable 37mpg on unleaded(bearing mind runs are a shortish 12mls and 3mls).

David