Legal for driver to watch TV - graham101
On going arguement./
What is the legal stand point on a driver being able to see/watch a tv from his driving position????

I have been told it is ilegal for driver to view entertainment systems from driving seat???

Graham.
Legal for driver to watch TV - Ruperts Trooper
It's illegal to have a TV fitted within view of the driver.

Vehicles which use the sat-nav display to show TV must be wired so that TV goes off when ignition switched on.

Originally the law banned all displays but was altered to allow navigation aids, ie satnav.
Legal for driver to watch TV - Dynamic Dave
It's illegal to have a TV fitted within view of the driver.

Only if the vehicle is being driven at the time.
Legal for driver to watch TV - Pugugly {P}

"Vehicles which use the sat-nav display to show TV must be wired so that TV goes off when ignition switched on."

Dave I think that RT qualified it in that sentence.
Dave I think that RT qualified it in that sentence.

True. That'll teach me to speed read.

However, you can also get head units that play DVD's / show TV. Not sure what the uk laws are, but in Japan (I think) I'm sure I've read somewhere that they must go off if your speed goes above 2 mph.
Legal for driver to watch TV - Bagpuss
Some OEM SatNavs in the USA won't allow you to make any adjustments to them whilst on the move. A work colleague of mine has a Toyota which is like this. In order to make any adjustments to it, you have to stop and put the gear selector into "Park".
Legal for driver to watch TV - yorkiebar
And why should a sat nav in use be any different under the laws than a mobile phone? Both are distracting imo.
Yes Yorkiebar, but legislated against because of the follies of the many and not the few.
"many and not the few."
what I mean to say was the the other way about. EDIT button's gone !
So its only a matter of time before the satnavs should be legislated against then ?

Because the majority are used by many as a plaything not a driving aid.

Very very few are used as a driving aid/tool imo.

ie delivery drivers trying to find unknown addresses, drivers traveling in unknown areas etc

Most are used for the same daily trip imo !
You're right.
Legal for driver to watch TV - Bagpuss
And why should a sat nav in use be any different under the laws than
a mobile phone? Both are distracting imo.

Why could I, as a passenger, not be allowed to use the SatNav whilst on the move? The thing is supposed to be voice activated anyway (it doesn't work properly but that's a whole new thread).
as a passenger you can watch tv too.

I dont see any problems with that.

But drive and be a passenger? Now thats too much for me !
Legal for driver to watch TV - graham101
Can anyone give me the source for this ruling about driver not being able to view tv system ???
If it is law it must be written down somewhere???
DVD posted something a while ago, but it didn't include LCD TVs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=46...3

Legal for driver to watch TV - IanJohnson
So how about TVs in adjacent vehicles ? ? ?

Have watched some of kiddies TV on a Galaxy on the M40 (he was in the middle lane, i was in the inside lane) and part of a very blue movie on the M42 (being shown in a stretched limo).

Very distracting - they should not be allowed where they can be seen from outside the vehicle.
Interesting point regarding blue movies that under age people may be able to see?

Different laws may be involved there though?