air con - W reg laguna - rosey102342
Anyone know much about air con units?

I've got a W reg laguna {Added to subject header as per the sticky request which no one takes any notice of! - DD}, with this warm weather I've noticed the air con isn't working properly. Basically the chilled air barely (or not at all) comes through, there's also an intermittent high pitched sqealing when the unit is switched on.

My local 'back street' mechanic (who's usually pretty good), reckons it's worth recharging the system (around £60) first, which he thinks might solve the problem, or failing that it would need a new compressor ("very expensive").

Is he right that recharging might help, if not how much approximately to supply & fit a new compressor, are we talking e.g. £200 or are we looking at alot more?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
air con - Micky
Recharging A/C with dye should be a service item for Lagunas. If it works that's good, if it doesn't but it shows the leak then view the cost as a charge for diagnostics.

£500 used to be the figure that was pulled out of the air for general fixing of Renault A/C, perhaps cheaper now. There was a resident A/C expert on this message board, Dave something I think. A search might help.
air con - L'escargot
Basically the chilled air barely (or not at all) comes through there's ..........

If the air is chilled but there is low airflow then it doesn't sound as if the refrigeration system is at fault. It more likely points to the fan or the air passageway(s) to be at fault.
--
L\'escargot.
air con - Altea Ego
If its a w reg (2000) and its never had the gas recharged then the chances are its all leaked away naturally and will need a recharge anyway.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
air con - rosey102342
Thanks folks, I'll check the air passage way but obviously a re-recharge sounds needed anyway.