Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - wildcolonial
Please excuse me if this has been brought up recently - I admit to not having frequented the backroom much recently.
I find this interesting and thought some of you would, too.
It's the Tesla Motors new sports car. A straight electric with regenerative braking and a 250hp motor, I think it heralds the way of the near future because of its simplicity compared to hybrids. I think new rechargeable battery development encouraged by the needs of laptop computers is the key.

How about 0 - 60 in 4 sec, top speed of around 130 mph, 200 mile plus range and Lotus handling for $100,000?

The first year's production has been sold out and they are taking orders for 2008. "Downmarket" models are on the drawing boards.

www.teslamotors.com/

Meanwhile, an economy 4 seater from China - the Javlon - has just been announced. Scheduled delivery date is late 2008 at USD$30,000. Lower performance, of course.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - Leif
I wonder what the fuel and servicing costs work out as?

The real range is of course no more than 100 miles, since you have to get home again.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - kithmo
Why do electric car manufacturers always quote the top end of the mileage range figures and not the bottom. What we as consumers would like to know is how far we can go in a rainy dark night with periods stood in traffic on the way, in other words the absolute minimum range.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - jc2
With heaters,wipers a/c on etc.GM in the States had to modify their mileage claims because users were making use of the acceleration!!!
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - David Horn
Thankfully we'll never see the stupid things the in the UK. Can you imagine the pathetic range on a cold morning when you have the heater on full blast, rear screen demister, radio, headlights etc? Barely to the end of the road! Add to that the fact that the national grid would collapse and all we're doing is shifting the CO2 production to a power plant.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - FP
DH - the Tesla website answers your point about CO2 production (which is a point which has occurred to me many times):

"Power generation plants, even coal burning ones, are inherently more efficient and less polluting than vehicles due to economies of scale and the ability to more efficiently remove pollutants from a smaller number of much larger fixed locations.

Also, an electric car is far more efficient than a gasoline car, so the amount of pollution generated by producing the electricity to drive an EV a given distance is much less than the pollution from the gasoline to drive an internal combustion car the same distance."

I'm not backing up the above claims and I don't know where (or whether) there is data to substantiate them.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - Group B
French manufacturer Venturi do electric cars now. They manufacture a Tesla-rivalling sports car, a solar powered car that looks sporty but isn't, and a solar and wind powered golf cart/ milk float thing (the latter two are actually referred to as quadricycles):

www.venturi.fr/-gamme-.html

Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - J Bonington Jagworth
"Also, an electric car is far more efficient than a gasoline car"

I would think that the conversion losses from fuel to generator to grid to battery to motor to wheels is about the same. The torque characteristics of electric motors are better, of course, but any reduction in operational pollution is somewhat offset by the messy processes involved in making large batteries, which will require regular (and expensive) replacement.

Early Priuses (Prii?) must be getting a bit tired by now. Anyone with experience of battery collapse and replacement?
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - Lud
Early Priuses (Prii?) must be getting a bit tired by now. Anyone with experience of
battery collapse and replacement?

I would have thought so too, but I see an old Prius somewhere or other most days when I drive about - saw one today for example - and I watched one accelerate through a dense crowd across Portobello Road like a silent rocket a couple of weeks ago. They're still quite healthy seems to me. Of course one doesn't know how many new motors and battery packs they've had.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - KMO
The motor and battery are designed last the life of the car, at least as much as the transmission does in a normal car.

Never heard of a battery having to be replaced due to age, and I've not heard a loss of performance reported either. There are Prius taxis out there with 200,000 miles on still going fine.

However, a real electric car stresses the battery a lot more than the Prius does, so Tesla have got a lot more to worry about.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - milkyjoe
I wonder what the fuel and servicing costs work out as?
The real range is of course no more than 100 miles since you have to
get home again.

you could always buy an extra long extension lead to cover long distances!
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - jc2
Californian Zero emission vehicle=electric car with electricity generated in Nevada!!
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - flunky
Californian Zero emission vehicle=electric car with electricity generated in Nevada!!

which of course is powered by the Hoover Dam
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - bell boy
could you not put a small generator on the roof and then use an inverter to maximise distance travelled?
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - Micky
It is the future, fusion power and a superconductor national grid deals with the pathetic whingeing about the CO2 production being moved to the power station . Although if fusion power is tamed, we can trap CO2 and convert to a hydrocarbon of some sort. And burn it in an internal combustion engine.

Of course, diessel would not be available in this brave new world, so there is a big upside.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - bell boy
we could all eat baked beans and have some kind of wind powered converters in our vehicles,? in the future probably?
what with all the forests being decimated, im sure mehican beans are the future?
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - Micky
You would require an attachment to your rear end to benefit from the human digestive process and beans. Ask Lud, he frequents Soho so he'll provide some technical expertise.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - Lud
You would require an attachment to your rear end to benefit from the human digestive
process and beans. Ask Lud he frequents Soho so he'll provide some technical expertise.

Only rarely Micky, and usually in the daytime.

I am afraid I can't help with the beans question. But I refer you to Mel Brooks's fine epic Western 'Blazing Saddles' which has a bean scene in it.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - David Horn
It is the future fusion power and a superconductor national grid deals with the pathetic
whingeing about the CO2 production being moved to the power station . Although if fusion
power is tamed we can trap CO2 and convert to a hydrocarbon of some sort.
And burn it in an internal combustion engine.
Of course diessel would not be available in this brave new world so there is
a big upside.

I hope you're being sarcastic.
Tesla Motors electric car 0-60 in 4 sec! - J Bonington Jagworth
"fusion power and a superconductor national grid"

Some way off yet, I fear. Just hope it happens before we are all submerged...