The eagles have landed - Tim Allcott
Coming North up M5 yesterday between Tewksbury & Worcester, saw quite a few large raptors circling lazily above. Any amateur (or professional) ornithologists any idea what they are?
Don't think they're vultures: I know the road can be unpleasant, but didn't see any RTA's yesterday.
Whilst I'm on, I was travelling South on Sunday, and the TMC (FM integrated traffic info) on the Garmin indicated problems at junction 29 of the M1 southbound subsequent to two accidents. This was about 15:00. Anyone get stuck in that?
I asked the device to route me round it, which it did, but I wonder how bad it was, and whether the re-route actually saved any time...
Tim{P}
The eagles have landed - charla
Hello Tim P. Can't offer you any info about the "birds" reason for the message I have A garmin C510D with Vers 9 map. It's driving me barmy as it seems to want to send me the long winded way anywhere. What is your unit and how have you set it up avoidances etc ? I have TMC connected.
Regards,
Chas
The eagles have landed - Lud
Imagine if they circle lazily they may be sparrowhawks, becoming more common I believe.

Of course kestrels are often to be seen hovering near motorways and other main roads. But they aren't large, and they don't circle, just hover with wings fluttering in a characteristic way.
The eagles have landed - bell boy
overweight pigeons banished from kens trafalgar squre?
The eagles have landed - Roger Jones
Large raptors circling in small groups fairly high up are probably buzzards. Solo or in pairs they could also be buzzards, but if lower in the sky they may well be red kites. The buzzard has a stubby tail; the kite has a forked tail. They're about the same size, kites being slightly larger. It's one of the delights of driving over the Chilterns down the old Icknield Way to see dozens of kites in the Princes Risborough area in particular, usually not far above the road, so you can appreciate their impressive size (not that much smaller than a golden eagle).
Charla: I have the same unit as you. Firstly, have you got the unit set to "Fastest" or "Shortest"? I agree it can be strange at times. When I want to leave Hull it wants to send me into the centre of town to pick up the Clive Sullivan way (A63) when I know it will be quicker to go out through Cottingham... I think sometimes your local knowledge will conflict with the unit (Because, let's face it, we all know the best routes locally which vary by time of day). It was the same when I visited relatives in Kent who said "It wants to take you where? Ooooh no, at that time of day, you're much better going THIS way..." and they were probably right. But when you're driving somewhere you don't know, I find the unit very helpful so that I can concentrate on what's happening on the road rather than searching for signs. I haven't set the unit up for any particular avoidances (yet)
Tim{P}
The eagles have landed - Brian Tryzers
I expect they're buzzards, Tim. Now more numerous in the British Isles than kestrels (the little falcons you see hovering over motorway verges), apparently. I think that's to do with decreasing pesticide use and regeneration of hedgerows, leaving more small rodents and birds for the buzzards to prey on.
The eagles have landed - rogue-trooper
think that they are Red Kites. Quite a few on the M40 as well. Do they have a slightly forked tail?
The eagles have landed - Roger Jones
Sparrowhawks tend to be solo and you will often see them sitting on telephone wires and poles. They're much smaller than buzzards and kites, but not as small as the kestrel, whose incredibly skilful roadside hovering is a very reliable way to identify them.

Back to cars: there was once a Riley Kestrel, a Humber Hawk, a Humber Super Snipe, . . .
The eagles have landed - Altea Ego
Probably red kites. They are quite big and often criecle in more than ones. They dont look red from the ground btw. Very common in the midlands now and vgetting more common in east northants. (round wakerly woods)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The eagles have landed - Pat L
Almost definitely buzzards. (I'm into birds of prey and live in the area). We do get the odd red kite passing through, but the real concentration of these is on the M40 as it passes through the Chilterns. I've seen up to 30 in a space of a couple of miles, with some birds almost landing on the tarmac!
The eagles have landed - local yokel
Buzzards are widespread in the South West and Wales, whereas the red kite is much more localised. The most successful area for their re-introduction is very close to J5/6 M40, but they have spread in the 15 years since then. Kites have been in the E Midlands, and have always been in Central Wales, though in quite small numbers.

Buzzards tend to fly higher than kites and have fan-shaped tales. Kites have forked tales.
The eagles have landed - henry k
The most successful area for their re-introduction is very close to J5/6 M40

Certainly is.

Sir Paul Getty II re-introduced red kites to Wormsley, building breeding pens and hiring security guards to protect their nests.

Red Kites, descendents of a few breeding pairs of these magnificent birds with a 4 to 5ft wingspan that were introduced into the hills by Paul Getty in the late 1980?s, as well as Buzzards, can be seen soaring off the headland most days.

The best place to view the Red Kites is from the Nature reserve at Aston Rowant, just west of Stokenchurch off the A40.

The eagles have landed - Micky
How odd. I saw a large bird of prey somewhere between Manchester and the South yesterday. I can't remember where exactly, such was the tedium of the journey. But definitely larger than a sparrowhawk/kestrel/harrier. Although not as big as the Harrier at Wittering.
The eagles have landed - Mad Maxy
Buzzards get my vote. Plenty round that way.

Never seen a red kite in those parts - plenty by me, though (Chilterns).
The eagles have landed - milkyjoe
hotel california , now thats what i call the eagles have landed
The eagles have landed - Ruperts Trooper
Red Kites have a forked tail and are fairly aerobatic. Common Buzzards have rounded tails and are lazy flyers. Both species do a lot of soaring on thermals. There is an immature White Tailed Eagle, from Scandinavia, that has drifted down the east coast over winter but has recently been seen in the Cheshire Plain, ie M6.

There are a significant number of Red Kites in the Malvern / Worcester area so quite likely seen from the M5. Red Kites in the Chilterns can be seen on the M40 and red kites from Rockingham can be seen on the A1 and M1.
best place to see red kites is tregaran in wales
i used to go there specially and stay in the tregaran hotel a proper welsh place.
lost its innocence a little has the place but the mountain road to it is spectacular,i love the red phone box in the middle of nowhere
The eagles have landed - PhilW
Take it Easy guys, I Can't Tell You Why but as a Last Resort I would bet on buzzards, Some more details would help. Were they spotted On The Border of Worcs/Gloucs? Were they on the Seve(r)n Bridges Road?. Was it daytime or was it a Midnight Flyer? Rural area or In The City? Can we go and look or do you think they will be Already Gone? After The Thrill is Gone of the first sighting will further discussion be Wasted Time? Is it safe to be observing birds while spending Life In The Fast Lane - especially if you Take It To The Limit?
In The Long Run you are not a New KId In Town and non-identification is unlikely to cause you Heartache Tonight so just Get Over It. One Of These Nights you will find the answer and it will give you a Peaceful Easy Feeling. Unless of course you have Lyin' Eyes saw a couple of sparrows.
--
Phil
well you could have left us one single at least :-)

The eagles have landed - PhilW
Are you Desperado?
You could always try Long Run Leftovers
In the meantime I send you The Best Of My Love and hope your Life's Been Good and you don't dwell on this All Night Long

--
Phil
Thanks for the info everyone: Yes, I guess it was pairs of Buzzards, in between Tewkesbury and Worcester, as they were flying lazily, and usually in pairs.
On recent trip to california I photographed what I think were vultures (red head?) and, I think, in Hetch Hetchy valley, Bald Eagles: a little too far away to be sure, but certainly big enough, and with a white tail.
Surprising there are so many Eagles fans out there...
Tim{P}
The eagles have landed - cheddar
When I saw this thread I though that either someone had bought a set of Goodyears or Don Henley and the boys were on the road again!

Reckon they are Buzzards, lots around here.
The eagles have landed - Cliff Pope
If you can stop for a while you can hear if they are buzzards. They make a lovely mewing noise, rather like cats or kittens, as they circle high in the sky.
They tend to stay up high unless coming down to catch or eat prey, or else perch on telegraph poles.
Red kites circle lower, and are scavengers as well. In the old days there were swarms of them in London, attracted by the offal and rubbish chucked out into the streets and open sewers.
The eagles have landed - kievclive
Could have been radio controlled vultures sent up by the ocal constabulary to catch you speeding/smoking/looking at a passenger
The eagles have landed - Roly93
As someone else has said, it is common to see Ketrels hovering at the side of motorways, but as you say they are 'large', I think this rules out Ketrels or Sparrowhawks, instead the next most likely bird would be the Buzzard. These get more common the further West you head from the M5 I think. The final 'probable' species could be the Red Kite, which is a reasonably sized hawk now thankfully being seen much more often after becoming nearly extinct. The Red Kite has a very characteristic forked tail which is the best way to recognise them. If it isnt any of the above, you are into 'exotic hawks' territory, which in that part of the country is unlikely I think.
The eagles have landed - daveyjp
I've seen them when on the M42 - confirmed as buzzards by my BiL whose a bit of a bird spotter. Definately not a red kite. There are plenty around Harewood House in north Leeds, saw one on Saturday and they are very distinctive.
The eagles have landed - Mad Maxy
Isn't it amazing how a post about a bird sighting on a motoring forum generates 26 - no, 27 - replies?

Impressed - and slightly saddened - by The Eagles discography. :-) But haven't the (old) boys reformed for some limited activity including a few gigs?
The eagles have landed - Alyn Beattie
Impressed - and slightly saddened - by The Eagles discography. :-) But haven't the (old)
boys reformed for some limited activity including a few gigs?>>

Saw them live in the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff (The Arms Park to us oldies) last June. Brilliant
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
The eagles have landed - Brian Tryzers
Saw them live in the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff

In Wales? No, those would have been the Red Kites.
};---)

{lack of motoring discussion = thread locked - DD}