Define underpowered - Cardew
I read time and again on this forum about cars being 'underpowered'. The latest discussion is subsequent to TVM's informative report on the Nissan Qashqai where 105bhp deemed insufficient.

So I just wonder how we define 'underpowered' these days.

Living in Germany years ago with an early 100bhp Audi 100(not a small car) I would cruise comfortably at 100mph on the autobahn. The 100bhp Mk1 Golf Gti(admittedly a light car) was a sensation.

For many years, almost every week, I have undertaken the 160 mile journey from Central London(Westminster) to the mid-Wales border and then back to London.
The journey is roughly 15 miles in London traffic, 100 miles M40/M42 and 45 miles rural single carriage A roads.

I have driven this route at all times of the day and night and in all manner of cars and a several times in a van.

In all these trips, the time for the journey is almost totally dependant on 3 factors - traffic conditions, weather conditions, and by how much I am prepared to exceed the speed limit.

Even the slowest vehicle - probably SWMBO's old 45bhp Polo would wind up to 90mph on the motorway and, given similar conditions, there would not be more than a couple of minutes in journey time between that car and my usual hot hatch(latest is 150bhp Golf Turbo)

Sticking rigidly to speed limits I would wager that the difference in time for the Polo and a Ferrari would be minimal.

So is adequate power merely a nice push in the back; or how do you define it?
Define underpowered - DP
My measure is not particularly scientific. If I find myself with foot to the boards and wanting significantly more, or have to work the engine hard in day to day driving, I consider a car underpowered.

Interesting that you mention the Audi 100 as it illustrates perfectly what's happened to cars over the last 20 years. According to HJ, an original Audi 100 typically weighs 1090kg. The current A6 can tip the scales at anything up to 1900kg!!

The Golf's another cracking example of a car that's got seriously bloated as its developed, but you can level the same criticism to varying degrees on most manufacturers.

Cheers
DP
Define underpowered - Mad Maxy
'Underpowered' can only be a subjective thing. "I want more and haven't got it." And yes, on crowded roads, real-world journey times are pretty much the same whether in Fiat Panda or Ferrari 430.

Forgive this anorak moment, but didn't the orininal Golf GTI have 112 bhp, then 115 when it switched from a 1.6 to a 1.8? I remember my XR3i (one of the first built) had 105 horses, and i was thrilled with the performance - as Crdew says, cars were lighter then.

And I remember an afternoon/evening drive 20 years ago from Norwich to Cheltenham via St Neots, Bedford, Buckingham and Chipping Norton in a 75 bhp Ford Orion 1.4 hire car. No great handler and no real hare but it was easy to make fairly rapid and, importantly, smooth, flowing progress by enthusiastic use of engine and gearbox.
Define underpowered - L'escargot
Anything which takes longer than 10 seconds for 0-60 mph.
--
L\'escargot.
Define underpowered - Red Baron
Underpowered simply means that the driver is about to unwisely attempt a manouevre for which the car/engine combination has not been designated.

For example...Long slight uphill single carriage straight road with car 'A' doing 50. Car 'B' is the 105BHP Quashqai where the driver wishes to overtake. Unwise manouevre!
Define underpowered - red5
I own a skoda 1.9 sdi ,it can`t be described as a racing car but has adequate acceleration ,and is in no way underpowered even though it takes 15 seconds or so to get to 60mph.
There is an obsession with unecessary speed and acceleration in this country.
Define underpowered - SteVee
I think a normal car needs about 15-20 BHP to maintain 70 MPH on level ground. Figure maybe 60BHP/tonne to maintain progress with hills/headwinds etc. Overtaking performance is only significant on single carriageway roads - where a 60MPH max limit applies.
When I did my IAM course, I said my 60BHP Ibiza was underpowered - my observer replied that I didn't know how to use it yet. That car could easily break all speed limits and overtake in any legal situation. He maintained that skill - especially observation and planning were far more useful than power. I've had no demonstration that he was wrong - and plenty to show he was right.

It amuses me that people pay big money for very powerful cars and then pay more money for some computer to control that power - and they still lack the observation skills to see an overtake opportunity

We would all like more power - but we don't need it on UK roads.
Define underpowered - Cardew
Forgive this anorak moment but didn't the orininal Golf GTI have
112 bhp then 115 when it switched from a 1.6 to
a 1.8?

I got it wrong in the first post. I believe the 1.6 Mk1 on introduction had 110bhp and the 1.8 Mk1 had 112 bhp but a lot more torque. I(briefly) owned both cars.
Define underpowered - Altea Ego
As i was the one who slated the Qashqai for being underpowered. let me add my two penneth.

The engine in that car does have the required power to do all of what you require of a car. Its in there somewhere, but you have to work hard at finding it, and getting it out at the right time for what you want to do. You have to plan its use before you need it.

For example overtaking in the squashy is a case of planning where, planning what gear to use, then at the right moment find the right gear and go (and then suddenly finding out that your right gear has run out of puff so you need the next one)

IN the ran, very similar horsepower and weight, its a case of decide you want to overtake, put your foot down and do it.

Yes I know the 1st way is the way we always used to do it, and any skilled driver can do it second nature, but its not exactly relaxing now is it?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Define underpowered - SteVee
>>For example overtaking in the squashy )<<
:->

>>Yes I know the 1st way is the way we always used to do it, and any skilled driver can do it second nature, but its not exactly relaxing now is it?<<
Well put.
Fortunately there is a wide choice available and I hope that continues.
Define underpowered - Aprilia
I think 100bhp per tonne is adequate for any circumstance. A lot depends upon how it is delivered though (a smooth engine with high red line can feel more powerful than a rough engine of the same output simply because you're comfortable about using the whole rev range). Gearing is also important.
Define underpowered - Mad Maxy
I got it wrong in the first post. I believe the
1.6 Mk1 on introduction had 110bhp and the 1.8 Mk1 had
112 bhp but a lot more torque. I(briefly) owned both cars.

I believe you're right!
Define underpowered - sony
have to
work the engine hard in day to day driving I consider
a car underpowered.

Precisely.
Define underpowered - MB3
DP said

"My measure is not particularly scientific. If I find myself with foot to the boards and wanting significantly more, or have to work the engine hard in day to day driving, I consider a car underpowered."

I would agree that the above is a perfect definition. As "underpowered" is a subjective term, the defenition must also be subjective.

It will mean different things to different people in different circumstances..... a car may well be adequately powered for city commuting, less adequate on the open road and woefully underpowered climbing a motorway incline with a full load of passengers and luggage.

Equally a driver who is used to a powerful car may well consider a moderate car underpowered, while a driver used to a less powerful car would consider the same car adequately powered.

Remember the Rolls Royce brochures.... Power = Adequate.

DP is bob on... if you are working the engine hard, or wanting more power, then for the driver, road conditions and vehicle load, the car is underpowered.

I still can remember overtaking an HGV, uphill, in Crete, in a hired Fiat Cinquecento. My old M3 could have got past a lot easier!
Define underpowered - Clk Sec
My rather historic view; a new Maxi 1750 in the early 80's that I thought might have more get-up-and-go than a Cortina or Cavalier 1600. How wrong I was.

Clk Sec
Define underpowered - Waino
I've just read HJ's latest report on the Audi R8.

Having just been "done" for speeding (47 in a 40 limit) in SWMBO's 1.6 Focus, I can't help feeling that the power of the R8 (as an example) is a little unnecessary ;-)
Define underpowered - MichaelR
To me, a car is underpowered if it has less than around 100bhp/tonne. If I wish to join a fast moving carriageway, or perform an overtake on an A Road, I want my car to be able to get up to the required speed more or less as quickly as possible. 30-70 in 6-8 seconds is about right. Much more than that, and the car is in my opinion underpowered.

When overtaking, you want to mimimise the time you spend on the opposite side of the carriageway. In a Focus 1.6, this is not really that easy.
Define underpowered - madf
Oh dear I feel my age:-)

When I grew up and started driving, the bog standard Cortina/1100 could not achieve 100mph.. Most cars had a cruising speed if lucky of 65-70mph.

By today's standard underpowered (0-60 in around 16 to 20 deconds)... but perfectly driveable then and now.

How often can you use 0 to 60 in 7 seconds on UK roads? Not often...imo.

Having driven a deisel 1.4 Peugeot 106 on and off for over a decade - the slowest car in UK when launched with 0-60 in some 19 seconds- I have to say for town driving and almost all motorway driving you only notice the lack of power - when loaded with 4 adults or going up a long incline. If both combine, I admit it's pitifully slow:-(

So I say underpowered is 0 to 60 over 18seconds. For all intents and purposes, you cannot use the extra power on a daily driving basis. (weekends and pleasure driving excepted).

(I drove a 1967 Lotus Elan S3 with 130hp (much modified) for 2 years as a fun car. 0-60 around .5 secs.. Great fun but unuseable except of clear country roads.. )

madf
Define underpowered - local yokel
Normal driving does not involve many 0-60s - it's far more often about acceleration from between 30 and 50, and thus 30-50 and 50-70 figures are what matters. Most diesel TDs are not that sharp 0-60, but some are very flexible in the mid-range acceleration stakes. That's what matters to me, at least.
Define underpowered - Brian Tryzers
As others have implied, there's a big element of user perception and expectation in this. Mrs Beest grumbles that her 68 bhp Fabia is slow - which it is, but it's reasonably relaxing to drive (and very easy in town because what torque it has is well spread) if you accept that you won't overtake anything quicker than a tractor on a single carriageway. Incidentally, I drove a 115 bhp 2.0 Fabia once, and the engine seemed entirely inappropriate to the car.

On the other hand, my Ransomes Ajax lawnmower probably is underpowered, because Mrs B can't move it at all. (Although if I had a proper Mk 2 and not a modern-trash 1968 Mk 5, that might be different, eh Cardew?)

}:---)
Define underpowered - Group B
I used to have a Mk3 Golf 1.8 CL, (75bhp, notable weight increase from the Mk2 Golf).
It was satisfactory for driving round town but on motorways it was inadequate. At motorway speeds the acceleration was glacial so overtakes often had to be planned well in advance and occasionally had to be aborted as a quicker car did a proper job of it.
There is a long quite steep uphill stretch of dual carriageway near where I used to live, and from an indicated 75mph the Golf would not maintain its speed and actually decelerate up the hill, regardless of driver input, that to me defined underpowered.

My first car was a Mk2 Cavalier 1.8i (115bhp) so thats my rough benchmark for satisfactory performance, anything quicker is desirable, anything slower is not for me. The Golf was a bit of a mistake.
Define underpowered - daveyjp
If you have to really think hard and plan to the extreme before attempting an overtake the car is underpowered. The Aygo is great round town - as quick as most vehicles from 0-30 mph and it will cruise happily at motorway speeds, but when motorways are busy and an overtake is required (wagons on inclines) you need to plan to pull out well before you start to lose speed due to the incline.

The ability to see a gap and go knowing you have plenty in reserve is so much more relaxing. The car doesn't need hundreds of bhp though, the A2 TDi 75PS I had would pull with no fuss from 60 in top and soon get to illegal speeds.
Define underpowered - bell boy
Define underpowered
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
a vehicle that you make to go faster by pushing your back in and out as you drive
Define underpowered - Group B
a vehicle that you make to go faster by pushing your
back in and out as you drive

Lol !

;oP
Define underpowered - SjB {P}
I've just read HJ's latest report on the Audi R8.
Having just been "done" for speeding (47 in a 40 limit)
in SWMBO's 1.6 Focus I can't help feeling that the power
of the R8 (as an example) is a little unnecessary ;-)

You could doubtless have performed the same law breaking activity in a 2CV.
It's power to weight that matters, and in this regard MichaelR has similar views to myself.
110bhp per tonne is my personal cutoff point, with 130 bhp per tonne being more ideal.

Before I opted out of the company car scheme, higher up the order was getting the most bhp per kilo in my allowance bracket along with a minimum of five cylinders, than going for a "badge". The result was that I tended to have creamy V6s with 170-200BHP and 110-135bhp/tonne. Now opted out and with free rein to choose what I want, my current V70 has about 160bhp per tonne from a rough calculation and is the first car that I've owned which even fully laden never feels in the remotest sense to be underpowered.

It's riding sportsbikes that has redefined my understanding of power to weight though. Mine has about 400bhp per tonne laden with me on board, and the ability to change speed on demand in an effortless blink never gets boring. Used sensibly, it opens up a world of opportunities. My bike is overshaddowed though by the likes of a friend's with about 550bhp per tonne (again laden with him aboard), which in turn is overshaddowed by new GSXR1000s, R1s, 'Blades, and so on; in the never ending quest for higher bhp (160-170 is fairly normal) and lower weight these bikes are approaching 700bhp per tonne laden. Frankly though, we have now exceeded what to me at least is considered adequate of a laden bike for road use (400-500bhp per tonne); if I put 110bhp per tonne before other qualities in a car, then I put other qualities before 700bhp per tonne laden in a bike.
Define underpowered - Martin Sweeney
As others have said what?s underpowered is largely a function of where you?re driving and what you asking the car to do, so it?s primarily a subjective matter. There are clearly some vehicles which are just too heavy for the engine to perform the majority of duties and IME this tends to be 1.6 or 1.8 petrol engines in mid-range saloons or 1.4 petrol engines in a Ford Focus size of vehicle where any acceleration, even when unladen, is dangerously slow or so raucous as to be unbearable to live with.

That aside I can?t see that the use of equations such as tonne/bhp are useful in determining what is or isn?t a general underpowered vehicle. Unless I?m misunderstanding the equation, which is entirely possible, using the 100bhp/tonne as a general threshold of what is underpowered seems iffy. The 130bhp Mondeo 2.0tdci Ghia weighs 1587kg and produces 130bhp, the 130bhp MAX 2.0tdci Titanium weighs 1897kg, the Audi A4tdi produces 140bhp and weighs 1430bhp, the A6 with the same engine 1525kg (similar bhp/weight ratio as the old audi 100 mentioned .in the OP) All of these vehicles are under 100bhp/tonne yet for general use none of them are remotely underpowered. If one uses 130bhp/tonne as a yardstick then V6 Jaguars, Audi and BMWs are rated as underpowered, which TBH for the vast majority of people and uses they clearly are not.
Define underpowered - DavidHM
When a car is actually developing 100 bhp/tonne it will fly. The problem is actually having anything like that on tap because these are maximum power outputs, not what it s to be expected in day-to-day cruising.

So if the car can get up to, say, 80 bhp/tonne for a few seconds before the engine expires, it'll be underpowered. If, on the other hand, it's producing 70bhp/tonne from 2,000 revs like the big diesels named above, it's plenty quick enough.

Looking at this my BMW 5 Series puts out about 112bhp/tonne. On song, it's plenty quick enough; however at 1,500 revs in fourth, with the petrol engine and the long accelerator travel, my 306 turbo diesel would leave it for dead until about 60 mph by which time the BMW would be catching up and would eventually get ahead.

The answer is not to drive like a granny in the right conditions of course, but if you want effortless performance all the time, a diesel (or a really big petrol engine) is the way to go.
Define underpowered - Westpig
if i'm on an 'A' road, following someone doing 45-50mph and i want to do an overtake at a shortish straight, that is safe........ i.e out and back with no chance of a drama.....then a car that does this is acceptable.......one that doesn't is underpowered

my car.....V6 3.0 auto Jag is fine............wife's car.....2.0 manual turbo diesel Jag estate is acceptable, but only just (if it wasn't for the economy it would slip into being a no-no i suspect.....will try the 2.2 model as or when we can afford it)
Define underpowered - MB3
Of course, on the other coin we have to define overpowered......

1. Leaves tyres behind when pulling away from a standstill.

2. Excessive torque steer.

3. Scares passenger

and especially......

4. Scares driver!
Define underpowered - bell boy
you forgot the tyres spinning on the rims like cathrine wheels MB3
Define underpowered - Lud
Most run-of-the-mill cars are underpowered by Westpig's definition, although they would have been regarded as very fast when I was young.

So let's have a proper definition of underpowered.

An underpowered car is one that won't haul itself up a 1-in4 or 1-in-3 slope in any forward gear with all its passenger seats occupied (reverse used to be the lowest gear on most cars. First gear is fine, but if you have to reverse up the hill the car is underpowered).

Austin 7 Ruby with poor comnpression, anyone?

> Austin 7 Ruby with poor comnpression, anyone?

Yes well 28 horsepower could be turned over on the starting handle

You try that with 20:1 compression.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Define underpowered - Lud
28 hp? You exaggerate TVM. And what have starting handles got to do with it?
The ring gear went on my fathers 7 tourer. Hence the electric starter wouldnt. so it was starting handle.

and yes 8 horses was nearer the mark.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >